Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dj
Default What to do In Cabo & Puerta Vallarta

I will be sailing in a week (Princess Diamond) with my wife and three kids (17, 11, 5) and am looking for some ideas on what to do while in Cabo San Lucas and Puerta Vallarta. I have Randi's Horses booked in Mazatlan and we are looking forward to that.

I am looking for suggestions. I do not know anything about these destinations. I would like to have a plan in place. Any help on what excursions are worth while would be greatly appreciated.

I would also assume that my wife and oldest daughter will want to do a little shopping as well. Any info on where the best shopping is in these destinations including how best to get there would be very helpfull.

Thanks to all in advance,

DJ.
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2004, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: What to do In Cabo & Puerta Vallarta

There is so much to do in P.V. The city is beautiful, the shopping is great, there are amazing beaches, fabulous restaurants, and more. Which day of the week will you be in Puerto Vallarta.

We go to P.V. a lot and have stayed as long as a month at a time. In fact we're going in June for 10 nights. We generally go at least once each year.E-mail me with information about what you like to do and I'll try to make some suggestions based on your likes. You just can't see all of Puerto Vallarta in one day.

In Cabo you might want to take the glass bottom boat ride in the harbor or the kids might like the snorkelling tours. Bumming around town is okay too. We've only been to Cabo twice for one day so not much help here I'm afraid.
Old March 21st, 2004, 08:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: What to do In Cabo & Puerta Vallarta

Thanks for the response Chuck,

We will be in PV on Tuesday the 30th of March.

This is our first cruise so we do not have a whole lot of experience and quite frankly I am not sure what it is that we would like to do. I think that I would enjoy snorkeling, my wife and oldest daughter would enjoy shopping. I know that the kids, and the wife and I, are looking forward to the Horses in Mazatlan, so obviously we are not looking to do this in PV or Cabo.

If you had only one last time to go to PV and spend the day, I would be interested in what your suggestion would be for what you would do.

Is it reasonable to do some beach time with snorkeling and shopping in one day? Ship departs at 6PM. If so, do you have a recommendation on a good beach for snorkeling (I would need to rent equipment). How to get to it. I would also love a good suggestion on shopping areas and how to get to them as well.

Thanks to all for your help,

Dave
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What to do In Cabo & Puerta Vallarta

If I had only one day in P.V. This is what I'd do. Take a yellow cab or bus to the Cuale early in the morning. I'd spend 2-3 hours shopping in the Zona Romantica, strolling up and down the Malecon, the Cuale and other streets nearby. Don't forget to visit the flea markets in the area too.It is a wonderful section of town for morning shopping and gawking. You can buy a coconut from a vender if you choose. I'd go to Rizo's Grocery store and snoop around too. Look for the GR sign. Mexican grocery stores are very interesting. Don't forget to look upstairs too, it's a hoot. If you are lucky someone downstairs will have a bull's head in the grocery cart, ready for check-out. (I'm not kidding.) Across the street is a little store called "Pie in the Sky." They have killer brownies if your kids have a sweet tooth. Also as you leave Groceria Rizo, turn left and take the kids for an exciting walk over the suspension bridge. It's a good thrill for free.

Then I'd walk just a few blocks to either Le Bistro, El Torito, or River Cafe for lunch. My first lunch pick would be Mariscos Polo but Polo closes on Tuesdays I believe. Le Bistro and River Cafe are both on the Cuale and offer beautiful lincheon views of the river and both are very attractive outdoor restaurants with really good food, safe water, etc.. El Torito is a bit funkier but has amazing ribs and freshly steamed prawns for very little money. It's a great place for a larger group.

Then we'd go just west a block or two to Los Muertos Beach and hang out not far from Burro's Bar under a nice Palapa. There are lots of water sports there or if you go to the "El Molina de Agua Hotel" right there on Los Muertos Beach, they will let you use their pools and facilities for almost no money. (Sometimes for free) There are snorkeling places in P.V. but I don't think P.V. is excellent for snorkeling. If the kids insist on snorkeling, Los Arcos is probably the best place. You can take a water taxi there or get a private tour to there, with equipment, for a half day of snorkeling. Check-out Chico's Dive shop for possible tours.

Then about 4:30 or so I'd head back to the ship via bus or yellow taxi. This will give you a little time for last minute shopping at the little stores by the pier. Then you don't have to worry about being left by the ship and you'll have all the souvenirs you require.

I hope this helps.
Old March 24th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: What to do In Cabo & Puerta Vallarta

Thanks so much Chuck

Your plan sounds wonderful and my wife thinks that we should follow it to the tee.

This sounds to be exactly what we are looking for.