Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Monarch vs. the Ecstasy

Hi everyone, I just got this email asking which ship this couple would prefer to go to Baja -- the Monarch of the Seas or the Ecstasy.

Having just sailed both in the past 3 months, here is my take on it. Do you all have any more input?

Here is the excerpt from his note and my answer follows:

In a message dated 4/9/2004 9:02:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time, (edited)@juno.com writes:
We are in our 40's and am looking for ship that is more "Ocean
liner" verse "Cruise ship". Which boat has more class, which has better
food? Better staterooms, and better dining room service

Morning,

Thanks for the email asking about the 4-nighter ships, by and large, I believe the Monarch of the Seas you would prefer (I have sailed on both ships in the past 3 months). However, Carnival does outshine the Monarch in some respects, and there is one extra point to consider. I will touch on all these below.

* More Class? Hands-down the Monarch of the Seas would win in this regard. It is more hotel-type/elegant feeling inside, while the Ecstasy has a definite Las Vegas decor with a lot of neon, etc. The Monarch was also just refurbished in the past 6 months, so it is very fresh looking.

* Better food? By and large, everyone seems to praise Carnival more in this respect. I find the difference pretty negligible, though. In terms of dining service, I had *excellent* servers on the Ecstasy ... very personable and made it a fun voyage for me (I was traveling alone). On Monarch, we had a wonderful server from Turkey, who, again was very personable.

* Better staterooms? Here is where Carnival outshines the competition. It's staterooms from inside to ocean view are *much* larger than the Monarch's. I would say about 40 square feet bigger. Decor-wise, though, the Monarch's cabins are very elegant, while Carnivals on this ship still have all the pink and orange everywhere. Plus the one I had 2 months ago was showing a lot of wear. Monarch's are very small though, with little floor space.

The one option you may have is when the Ecstasy is replaced by the much newer Paradise in September. I have never been on that ship before, but you should find photos of her online.

But, for the bottom line, I think you should go with the Monarch. It's very elegant, good shows, pleasant buffet restaurant, and pretty decor. Also, the Monarch is the only one that stops in San Diego, which makes for a wonderful 4-night vacation.

Hope that all helps.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to shayesship
Default Re: Monarch vs. the Ecstasy

Harry,
I agree with you 100%. Neither is my favorite cruiseline however, I have been on both ships with the Monarch in Jan/04.
Standard outside cabin Monarch 122 sq ft. Ecstasy 185 sq. ft. MAJOR difference.
I usually go for the larger cabin, but the layout of the Monarch is unusual compared to the newer ships and has some interesting public rooms which gathered my interest over the Ecstasy.
I am one of those few older (48) people I guess that kind of likes the "neon" CCL ships.
However, I like the exterior looks of the "cutter" bow on the Monarch. She has much better lines with the rounded aft decks also. For such a large ship I found her easier to navigate while onboard and yes, her public rooms have a more classic atmosphere.
The food and service on both ships is comparible. HOWEVER, I REALLY liked the new sushi restaurant onboard the Monarch.
The Monarch is the "hands down" winner in my comparison.

65+ cruises on over 10 cruiselines.

Celebrity Mercury 09-24-07
HAL Veendam 12-16-07
PCL Golden Princess 04-19-08
Cunard QM2 11-29-08
CCL Splendor 04-26-09
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Steve, thanks for mentioning the sushi restaurant, Jade, on the Monarch -- forgot about that. I also liked the 2-story Windjammer on the Monarch. It took about 2 days, but we found the second floor to be a lot quieter during lunch, etc, if you didn't mind the walk up the stairs. But the mini-deli sandwiches were funny, compared to the mammoth ones one can find on the Spirit class deli.

I was also intrigued by the setup of the shops on Monarch, with several of them out in the atrium area. Made it simple to mosey and shop.

I, too, like the neon Carnival ships. Makes for a lively atmosphere. (Been on the Holiday and Ecstasy.)

Art and I both commented on how easy it is to navigate the Monarch ... we toured the whole ship in an hour when we boarded.

Boy you nailed it on the head with cabin size, though. We lucked out and got a disabled cabin on the Monarch, which made for more floor space (and a sofa). We peeked into one of the outsides set as a quad, and it reminded me what you find in steerage in the Titanic! :-)

I am anxious to try the Paradise when it comes out in September ... eyeing it for a January cruise when the rates fall a lot.

Thanks again for remindng me about Jade ... how much does it cost? Do you recall?

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old April 11th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Monarch vs. the Ecstasy

Harry,
When I went for dinner in January there were a couple of different priced items. They were from $5-$15 for complete meals. I was told that they were probably going to simplify pricing in future (whatever that means).
I did not like paying extra, however, their variety and presentation and setting was much nicer then the sushi selection on the Star Princess buffet that I partook of last year. (However, Star Princess was decent and no surcharge).

As far as size of cabin goes, I know what you mean. I lucked out a couple of years ago when I went on the Ocean Princess (Before it was transferred to P&O) on an inside gaurantee. The standard cabins were 135 sq. ft. but we were assigned to an inside handicapped cabin which was 190 sq ft. and practically midship.

The last time I actually had such a small cabin was on the old Viking Serenade. Had an outside cabin on Bridge deck. Excellent location but the cabin was like 122 sq ft also with the twin beds parellel to each other. Two people could not sit side facing each other because their knees would have been "locked" together!!

HAL Veendam 12-16-07
Cunard QM2 11-29-08
CCL Splendor 04-26-09
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Steve on the Viking. I know exactly what you mean. We sailed her about 2 weeks before she was sold (got a steal 'cause it was right after 9/11).

The funny thing was we booked an ocean view guarantee, which we got, but we were *all* the way forward ... I mean, we were facing front!

This was the cabin where I also learned what an anchor sounds like. :-) At about 6 in the morning, I heard this incredible noise (which in my dreams translated to my nephew playing drums). I finally bolted straight up in bed, and asked, "What the %&$* *is* that???"

Needless to say, it was an early morning wakeup call.

:-)

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old April 12th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Monarch vs. the Ecstasy

AHH YES! Getting my beauty sleep while dreaming on the swaying seas and being abruptly and brutely awaken by the horrendous noise of a dropping anchor.

One of the few sounds I do not like while at sea.

HAL Veendam 12-16-07
Cunard QM2 11-29-08
CCL Splendor 04-26-09
Old April 12th, 2004, 06:10 PM
First Mate

Harry,
Received the same email and could only give my views on the Monarch as never have been on Carnival. Maybe I should point him to my review. Oh well.

richard

Old April 13th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Good idea, Richard.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!