CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Mexico (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/)
-   -   TENDER Ports? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/255024-tender-ports.html)

cruisecrazy July 4th, 2004 04:29 PM

TENDER Ports?

Perhaps someone could tell me if Mazatlan or P. Vallarta are 'tender' ports. Been there both a couple of times and I think one is and one isn't but do u think I can remember - too many cruises to too many ports - gee - don't u just feel sorry for me? Have rejected Sea of Cortez cruise 'cause 2 of 3 ports are.. Looking for your reply & many thankyous in advance..Happy cruisin'! :0)

Art July 4th, 2004 06:16 PM

Re: TENDER Ports?

Both Mazatlan and PV are ports that you dock at, no tenders.

Harry Martin July 5th, 2004 01:08 AM

Cruise, I am thinking more and more you should try the Carnival Spirit to Acapulco, Zijuatenejo and Manzanillo. The Norwegian Star does the round, too, more or less if you prefer freestayle dining.

The reason I think this is a good fit?? These are new ports for Mom, only one tender site, 8 nights (for not much more), and true Mexico (non-tourist feel).

Check out my pics on the photo gallery -- just search under my name.

I think this sounds like a good fit -- by the way, my neice is doing this route in November on Norwegian Star for her honeymoon -- I paid for her to be upgraded from an inside to balcony -- this a truly wonderful balcony type cruise.

Hope this helps.

Harry

cruisecrazy July 5th, 2004 02:43 AM

Harry & Art - many 'kudos' to u both for your replies...great as usual...Happy cruisin' fellas. :0)

aceinnw July 8th, 2004 03:33 PM

Re: Re: TENDER Ports?

I am taking the 8-day Spirit October 16th, it's first run. Which of the three ports are tender (Xtapa, Acapulco and Manzinillo). Also, the ship doesn't leave till 9:00 does anyone know what time they may start boarding. We get in at noon and are wondering how much time we will have to kill (with all that luggage)! They actually let off there Hawaii cruise pasangers in Ensenda in the morning, so at least no one will be disembarking once the get to San Diego.

Harry Martin July 9th, 2004 11:22 AM

Ace,

The first time we took the Spirit, it was late coming back from San Diego, so boarding did not begin till 5 p.m. You should be able to check all your luggage at the pier right away though.

We got down at 2 p.m. the first time with that departure time, but in hindsight, it just translated into a lot of waiting. Officially they said boarding was to begin at 6 p.m. and that's when we first got on. But like I said, there was a glitch in getting back from Ensenada.

Harry

Harry Martin July 9th, 2004 11:23 AM

Oops, forgot to add ... Zijuatenejo/Ixtapa is the tender port. In Manzanillo, they dock in an industriual area and shuttle buses take you into town. In Acapulco, you are docked right in the middle of town -- close to the fort.

Harry

aceinnw July 9th, 2004 12:29 PM

Well as long as we can check our baggage right away then we can find something to do,. Is there any nice palces to eat lunch around there?

Harry Martin July 10th, 2004 12:39 PM

Oh definitely -- lots downtown. Walk to 5th Avenue and head south, and you will hit the Gaslamp Quarter -- tons of great restaurants there.

Harry

cruisecrazy July 19th, 2004 02:53 AM

My elderly Mom has decided and she picked the Sea of Cortez cruise - can't say I blame her as she has seen most of the other Mexican ports and wants a quiet cruise as do I also. I am aware that there are 2 tender ports but no real problem. I wld like to take her into Loreto but need a tour or bus ride to do so 'cause cobblestones and distances can be daunting when walking with a cane - any suggestions anyone? Same condition of distance in Cabo. No problem with the port for La Paz as we can get to the buses (are they air conditioned?) easily enough! Perhaps u might feel that we should skip a particular port -- no problem we can simply enjoy the view and sunshine from our balcony instead.. Sure wld appreciate some info and your impressions and experiences from former cruisers to this area...Thanks in advance..!

Harry Martin July 19th, 2004 12:13 PM

Crazy,

The buses are air conditioned in La Paz.

It's a very walk-able town, but you may wish to take a quick cab ride to the cathedral/plaza area to save some walking energy. All the restaurants etc are located primarily along the boardwalk, which is where the buses depart.

La Paz was wodnerful -- people very friendly (Art chatted with one of the cops), no beggars, etc, and just very pretty all the way around.

We just walked about (having used my Fodors Guide), so can't say much on excursions there. Have never been to Loreto, but looking forward to that.

Harry