Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Jay Moore

Default Carnival Pride or Celeb Mercury

Hi,
I am trying to choose between two cruises to Mexico. I am trying to decide between the 7 day Carnival Pride out of Long Beach ( Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas) or the 8 day Celeb Mercury out of SF (Monteray, Cabo, Mazatlan).

FYI this will be my first cruise ever. My girlfriend and I are in our early 20's and like to party. I hear a lot of good things about the Pride but I also hear their are a lot of kids running around. I live in Santa Cruz, CA so leaving from SF is easier but then again Long Beach is only a 6 hour drive. Prices are about the same.

What would you guys suggest?

Thanks

Jay
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Pride or Celeb Mercury

The Mercury is also doing some trips out of San Diego that include Ixtapa, P.V., and Acapulco. That would be my first choice if the dates work for you. In any case you really need to go to P.V. It is my favorite port by far in Mexico, either coast.
Old July 16th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Jay, Puerto Vallarta is our favorite Mexican Riviera stop (and for many others, too). I would hate to see you miss that.

We had a fantastic time on the Pride and were not over-run with kids. I have a gallery of it online here -- just search my name.

I think, rather than ship, it's going to come down to where you want to go. Also, I would hazard to say you're gonna have more pool days with teh Mexican route.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old July 16th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Jay Moore

Default Re: Re: Carnival Pride or Celeb Mercury

Thanks Guys,

I am leaning towards the Pride and have noted PV being a must. I live 30 min from Monteray, CA so that stop on the Mercury is not so interesting.

-Jay
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:59 PM
cajuncrab

If you love to party - like me - by all means go on a Carnival ship. They welcome families of course, but I really think that's the line that caters to young adults. as far as kids running around - it depends on the dates you are looking at. My first cruise was May 2, 2002 and I don't remember too many kids running around - usually they are with camp carnival. My second cruise was May 15, 2004 and the only "kids" were mostly teens who had just graduated. So it was not bad at all.

If you do go on the pride, please post afterward and let me know how it was.

Planning to go in Sept. 2005.

Have fun!
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Rellie

Jay--
I'd recommend the Pride. You'll have much better weather for sunbathing and smoother seas sailing from LA rather than SF. I've sailed both ships and rate them both highly. Mercury's a more elegant service oriented ship with excellent dining, but the night life was lacking compared to Carnival's Fun ships. My daughter is in her 20's and if I were going to send her off on one of these I'd DEFINATELY choose the Pride. The Pride has an excellent gym/spa area and the food & service overall was very good.
Book yourself a cabin midship or aft if you're prone to any motionsickness.
Enjoy your first cruise!
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:46 PM
paljoeysmom

I too have been on both the Pride & the Merc. Take the Pride. You will LOVE IT!
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Californiacutie Send a message via Yahoo to Californiacutie

I just got off the Pride sunday and there were hardly any little kids running around the ship. Sure there were some playing tag in the hall, but since there were so many activities on the ship, i was never in my room long enough to even care. The Pride is a wonderful ship and the waiters are very friendly. Except the bartender guy that took our orders, he kinda creeped me out by giving my sister very scary looks. But dont let that discourage you from going.