CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Mexico (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/)
-   -   Costa Maya & Cozumel Questions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/255058-costa-maya-cozumel-questions.html)

Ronica August 3rd, 2004 11:51 AM

Costa Maya & Cozumel Questions

We are sailing to Costa Maya and Cozumel in October. What are the must see/do things in these two spots? I was thinking of the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya, is it good or waste of time??? We were thinking of the Catamaran Sail and Snorkel in Cozumel. I don't want to spend all day doing one thing, what is the best way to get the most in??? Thanks in advance for your help!

Darcy August 3rd, 2004 04:04 PM

Re: Costa Maya & Cozumel Questions

Ronica

We didn't do a tour in Costa Maya and were disappointed that we didn't. The next time we go we plan to do the ruins. Everyone on our cruise who went enjoyed it. In Cozumel we went to Chankanaab Park and had a great time. Did the Sea Trek and the Sea Lion Swim there along with some snorkeling. Everyone that I know that did the Catamaran Sail and Snorkel also had a great time, but I can't comment from personal experience.

Darcy

Terri H August 11th, 2004 12:05 PM

I will also be going to the same ports in October that you listed. What port will you be leaving from and when? We will sail October 16 from Mobile.

AshleyP August 26th, 2004 10:33 AM

The Catamaran Sail and Snorkel is fun for a first time cruiser or visitor to Cozumel who is nervous about being on their own. There is no sailing involved as it is basically only the shape of a catamaran with a sail that "looks nice"! The entire trip is under power. You snorkel for about 30 minutes, and then spend some time at a beach. The cost is about $60 a person through the ship. You can also book this exact same trip through Fury at the pier for about $25. (This is the same company the cruiselines use.)

There are many other beaches (Chankanaab Park, Mr. Sancho's, Paradise) where you can have a very similar experience for much cheaper. Just keep an eye on the time!

Mrsox August 27th, 2004 06:37 AM

Re: Re: Costa Maya & Cozumel Questions

You could always rent a car and explore the island on your own if you'd like a day filled w/several experiences and doing it on your own time line. There's one major road around the island and beach clubs are easy to access (all along the same side of the island, only a few miles apart from one another). You could then venture to the East side where things are far less developed...more rugged coastline, beautiful views! Grab lunch at Bite on the Beach as you start your way back to San Miguel. You could also tour the Mayan Ruins at San Gervasio (also along the way back to San Miguel)...I think admission was $6 each. Drop the rental car off and still have time to do a little shopping in town b/4 getting on the ship.

hkolln August 27th, 2004 05:12 PM

our cruise in March has pics and info on what we did at these 2 ports.
http://kollnfamily.com/Inspirationcruise.htm

tom65 September 24th, 2004 12:39 PM

In Costa Maya, we, my wife and three small children went to the Tequilla Beach Club, which is a short walk or taxi ride from the pier. The club was very nice, they served food and drink, cheap!! and they offered water activities. Infact, I took 2 of my children snorkeling for a reasonable price. The water was the bluest I've ever seen and the people were very friendly. Also, the shopping area with the pool and other attractions at the end of the pier is very nicely done. Costa Maya was my families favorite stop. cozumel was OK any of the beach clubs are fine. We went to paradise which was very nice.

TexasT September 25th, 2004 10:29 AM

Is Costa Maya the same as Playa Del Carmen? I'm looking for a laid back and cheap day while in that port. Thanks!

Sebastion October 4th, 2004 11:41 AM

We booked with [url]http://www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com[/url , Costa Maya Cruise Excursion for a beach horseback riding trip, really nice, rode along the beach and right through the town of Mahahual for $35! We then went to the beach party at a pretty beach and all you can drink at the bar for $25. We also had the lunch option, I did the $15 lobster lunch and my DD did the shrimp lunch for $10. Great value and the seafood was excellent!

Phil October 19th, 2004 09:59 PM

Been on catarmaran sail and snorkel in Cozeumel.Bascially a party boat with beer and lbooze freely flowing.I don't drink so not too fun watching the drunks.Snorkeled ofr about 30 mins.It was Ok but nothing special.Went to a nice beach and laid around.Probably OK unless you are paying for several people then it's not worth the 35 dollars a person.

hcat October 20th, 2004 03:36 PM

Sounds like Costa Mayo is growing--what else is there to do there besides excursions & the pier area w/shops etc.?

babsee101 October 27th, 2004 05:08 AM

Re: Re: Costa Maya & Cozumel Questions

I hope that this isn't considered advertising. I just believe that it a great tool if you want to do Cozumel on your own!

There is an awesome map that you purchase on the honor system (can you believe it!) at mapchick.com it includes a detailed map of Coz, great places to eat, drink, sights to see, etc.

I rented a Jeep and explored the Island. Had a wonderful time. The East side (or wild side) of Coz is absolutely beautiful! and not crowded. CAUTION! Be sure to swim only at the designated beaches as the currents on the East side are very dangerous.
Also, you have to go to Coconuts on the east side for at least a drink and to take in the view, it's awesome.

Mapchick.com also has maps of Riviera Maya, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Isla Mujeres

LindaGG November 16th, 2004 04:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Costa Maya & Cozumel Questions

How much does it cost to rent a car? That sounds like a very fun thing to do plus be able to see the island. How long does it take to go around the island? Do you have enought time to see the ruins, shop etc?