CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Mexico (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/)
-   -   Cabo San Lucas (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/255060-cabo-san-lucas.html)

DianeT August 3rd, 2004 03:33 PM

Cabo San Lucas

We are booked on Dawn Princess out of Los Angeles on Sept. 19th. We just found out Cabo San Lucas has been dropped off the itinerary - we're not sure why, but somebody said there was an article in the Orange County Register that said a number of the cruise lines weren't stopping there. Anyone know what the real story is?

hcat August 3rd, 2004 06:36 PM

Re: Cabo San Lucas

I searched the OC Regis site & could not find the article. Where did you hear about it?

DianeT August 4th, 2004 11:09 AM

Re: Re: Cabo San Lucas

I heard about the OC Register article from a co-worker who lives in OC. He was going to try and find the article for me. I'll let you know if we find it. Thanks for re-searching.

Harry Martin August 4th, 2004 12:26 PM

Diane, I would be interested, too, in that we are sailing on the Diamond.

Personally, Cabo is so Americanized, I wish they would sub in an alternate port (say La Paz). We have also noted over the past few years, that the stop in Cabo is more like a pit stop -- 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. or something like that.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Harry

hcat August 4th, 2004 12:57 PM

We were hoping to go the other town nearby--read abt it in a travel mag..is that not a good idea? Do not want to spend the day just looking at the arches!

Harry Martin August 4th, 2004 02:47 PM

LOL Hcat.

San Jose del Cabo is only about 20-30 mins outside town. Very pleasant and much less Americanized as Cabo. You can book an excursion that will take you out there (with about an hour or so in town), or you can do it on your own.

Harry

Jane_Marlow August 4th, 2004 06:32 PM

How did you get this information? Did Princess contact you?

CeeCee August 4th, 2004 07:13 PM

When a cruise line drops a stop like this, do they usually substitute it with another?

Harry Martin August 5th, 2004 10:40 AM

It's normally at the discretion of the cruiseline. Most often when this occurs is when the weather prohibits a stop ... this happened on the Pride last year (I think in September)

Harry

DianeT August 5th, 2004 12:15 PM

Jane

We were supposed to have gotten our cruise documents 60 days before the cruise (which would have been 7/19). When I didn't receive them I called princess and they said there were some itinerary changes and they would be sending out the documents at a later date. I asked what the changes were and they said Cabo had been dropped and Cartagena had been dropped (which we have known about for months) and that instead of going to Puntarenas in Costa Rica, we would stop at Puerto Caldera in Costa Rica (which we understnad is not very far away), also they changed the stop in Ocho Rios, Jamaica from an all day stop to a 5 hour stop. So - lots of changes. One of the rumors we heard was there was a possibility of engine problems with the ship. Nothing major, but her speed is less than normal and maybe that is why some of the changes were made. We also heard there were some "security" issues in Cabo and that was the reason for dropping that port. I'm not sure if we will every really know - but I'm okay with the changes, as this is now a 15 day cruise with basically only 4 ports - so lots of sea days which we love!

Diane

billc102 August 5th, 2004 02:30 PM

Harry when are sailing on the Diamond, will be going 10/2/2004?

Harry Martin August 5th, 2004 04:42 PM

Bill, we are on Oct 30th. We did the pre-inagural for 2 nights in March, so I can't wait to go back.

Diane, thanks for the added information

Harry

L.R. August 11th, 2004 12:37 PM

Wow! We sailed the Diamond back in April and it was late back to L.A. due to 'engine problems'. Can't they fix this thing???

hcat August 11th, 2004 01:01 PM

Maybe a good idea we booked on Vision--older but no reported problems so far. Harry--that excursion you mentioned is the one we plan to take..The magazine article really piqued our interest in seeing the two different areas! Last time I looked Royal must have been updating its site because very few excursions were listed...We have alot of time before our trip (9/05) so I am sure we will get more choices by then. I am more concerned that we are going in Sept but that's our anniv month!. Anything new about the article that was mentioned???

Harry Martin August 11th, 2004 02:18 PM

You also go to a restaurant with a fantastic view above Cabo and a glass blowing place.

Harry

hcat August 12th, 2004 10:09 PM

Yes, that's exactly the tour--hope it is offered on our trip!

Harry Martin August 13th, 2004 10:36 AM

I'm sure it will be -- I think they called it the city tour or something like that.

Harry

hcat August 16th, 2004 12:58 PM

They are still showing mostly non-land based trips--any idea why?