Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:57 AM
JVC

Default Riviera Hurricane Question

We've all been watching Frances so it prompts me to ask... I know it's more rare for a hurricane on this side to hit land because water temps are usually not as favorable, however, what about rough seas? Right now there is a nice size hurricane named Howard about 450 miles from Cabo San Lucas. Does anyone know how that feels on a ship? Or can you tell? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:09 AM
CeeCee

Default Re: Riviera Hurricane Question

Good question and one for which I do not have the answer. I'm curious as well about what time of year the Pacific coast of Mexico is susceptible to heavy storms or hurricanes, particularly from Acapulco northward.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to shayesship

For all practical purposes the hurricane season is the same on both coasts from June to November. However, here on the West Coast the actual hurricanes very seldom make it above Cabo San Lucas because they either track northward and turn inland and change into tropical storms (which can cause major rain and all that goes with it) or go further out to sea or die in the colder water as they go north - northwest.

With all of the above said there have been some large hurricanes that have hit Acapulco, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo over the years.

Carnival has been the most effected because they cruise year round. It is a much worse situation out here for ships because in the 7 day run there are no real alternatives for a change in ports. There have been several cruises over the last 10 years that the ships only had 1 port stop such as Ensenda and the rest at sea or they were diverted to go northward as far as San Francisco. They can not go fast enough to make a roundtrip in 7 days and go farther south then Puerto Vallarta.

I have been on many cruises roundtrip from Los Angeles and San Diego - usually November to April and even without storms the seas coming back Northward go against the current. I have been on cruises where the seas were relatively calm coming northward from Cabo - 2-5 feet and up to 15 foot seas and the sky was as blue as could be with not a cloud in site. The Pacific as a whole is rougher then the Caribbean or Gulf.

65+ cruises on over 10 cruiselines.

Celebrity Mercury 09-24-07
HAL Veendam 12-16-07
PCL Golden Princess 04-19-08
Cunard QM2 11-29-08
CCL Splendor 04-26-09
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to newaddiction Send a message via MSN to newaddiction

I'll be cruising this week to the Riviera. Found an article online that said forecasters say that Hurricane Howard won't reach Cabo until Monday or Tuesday (which is when I'll sail by) but it will be weakened due to the cooler waters.

Ecstasy - Ensenada 11/2003 & 2/2003
Spirit - Alaska 9/2003
Pride - Riviera 9/2004
Paradise - Baja 1/2006
Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:37 AM
Yeoman

They say that Howard won't hit Cabo at all, it will head North North West and die out at sea as it travels North. With that said, it will still be a Tropical Storm/Tropical Depression and the seas might be a bit rough. Depending on when it passes Cabo out at sea, they might not stop there as you have to tender in and if the seas are too rough, they will not tender. I hope all works out in everyones favor. I am on the Pride in 2 weeks, and hope for the best for us too. Happy sailing to everyone.

Carnival Liberty
Old September 3rd, 2004, 09:46 AM
JVC

Thanks everyone. We travel on the Pride in about a week (9/12) and I have a no-barf goal. I know lanfall is not likely, but I have gotten seasick before and know that there are few things more miserable. I wish mother nature would chill out! Have a great cruises everyone!
Old September 4th, 2004, 07:42 AM
hcat

I was going to post a query & found this thread. We are from the East coast & have a Mex Riviera cruise booked for next yr-late Sept. for our anniv. It stops at Cabo, Mazatlan & PV. Is the hurricane season there generally as active as we have on the east coast? Seeing all that is going on right now for the Carib trips, we are seriously considering changing our plans & cancelling the trip- Have been watching the weather for the Mex Riviera but just have no experience with it! What do you think? (We already know it is very hot at that time whihc is OK but hurricanes--no thank you!)
Old September 4th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to shayesship
Default Re: Re: Riviera Hurricane Question

hcat,
We never have the amount of hurricanes that the east coast has. With that said, it only takes one hurricane to be around the same time as your trip to wreak havoc with your travel plans.
It depends on if you are a gambler or not.

65+ cruises on over 10 cruiselines.

Celebrity Mercury 09-24-07
HAL Veendam 12-16-07
PCL Golden Princess 04-19-08
Cunard QM2 11-29-08
CCL Splendor 04-26-09
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:43 AM
First Mate

Hi,

We were on Legend last week, Hurricane Howard was out in the Pacific. The ship must have steered clear of it though, it was one of the smoothest cruises I've been on. Coming in to Cabo on Tuesday was a little rocky, we were making up time, speeding, due to leaving San Diego 3 hrs late on Sunday (8/29) due to a problem with the computers. And Friday, our first sea day heading back to San Diego was a little rocky, but nothing like I've experienced on some other cruises.

The forecast that I looked up before we left called for T-storms every day and in all 3 ports. We had almost completely sunny weather except for a 10-minute shower in Cabo, followed by sun for the rest of the day, and a little rain on a couple of nights.

I wouldn't cancel a cruise due to anticipating bad weather, because it changes so fast. There's always something fun to do on a cruise vacation, even if you get some rain. I've noticed that the ships almost always can steer clear of storms and hurricanes, you're itinerary may change a bit, so you need to keep an open mind and the right frame of mind to enjoy what comes your way (short of catastrophe).
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:39 PM
JVC

mahrisch - Great to hear! We have Isis out there this week. We leave Sunday on the Pride but feel much better after reading your post. Hoping for a less-than-rocky ride too! Thanks!
Old September 10th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Passenger

i am a forecaster with the NWS. howard is no immediate threat to cabo. the pacific ocean has larger swells and is rougher than the atlantic anyway, so you should not see much difference with the additional ocean swells from howard.

the atlantic is having an active season, the pacific is not and should remain rather quiet this year.

the pacific hurricane season more or less ends by early october. the atlantic will go until november.
Old September 10th, 2004, 12:21 PM
hcat

guess we will still go for it in sept 05. We already know it will be very hot--that's OK. It's our 30th anniv & did not want to go to the Caribbean during that hurricane season & Europe is not an opton for us right now! Hope all who are going this yr have smooth seas & sunnny skies!
Old September 18th, 2004, 05:02 PM
hcat

After Javier we cancelled Vision for Sept 05 Going to Pacific NW instead--Plan to catch Mex Riviera during a safer season! I am a bit let down but did not want the stress--flying cross country to just go to Ensenada would not be fun! Appreciate all the tips on this board but will now focus on Panama Canal & Hawaii sites--our next cruises coming up.. (Actually on Mon we head north to Canada on Constellation)Adios! Harry , I Hope you mom continues to do well. You moderate a great baord here!
Old September 18th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Thanks Hcat .... aim more to October and beyond -- never had a problem that way.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old September 19th, 2004, 10:25 PM
JVC

Welp, we're back from the Pride. Wouldn't you know that Javier was on our tail... Just my luck. No Puerto Vallarta. Got Ensenada instead. Only one night of rocky seas and my Bonine worked! Wonderful trip regardless. We are planning a Spirit trip soon too. Just need to work off these extra pounds first....
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Welcome back, JVC, but truly a bummer about Puerto Vallarta!

By the way, between the two, I prefer the Spirit decor-wise.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!