Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2004, 09:33 AM
CeeCee

Default Shore excursions - buy now or wait until cruise

I am wondering whether we really need to pre-arrange shore excursions prior to our cruise or is it safe to wait until we are on board ship? Since this is our first cruise and first visit to any of our ports of call, we are mainly interested in the basic town tours and would not be interested in the offroading, jungle expeditions, swimming, sailing, etc. Our TA said that we should have no problem booking the run-of-the-mill town tours on board ship but said the more adventurous activities such as swim with Dolphins, etc., may require booking well in advance.

My next question is this. For the people who do not go through their cruise line for tours, do you book on line through places like Shore Trips or can you literally get off the ship and find excursions offered right at the dock, etc.?

Last but not least, if anyone has suggestions for tours in Acapulco, Ixtapa/Zuatanejo, PV and Cabo San Lucas -- things not to miss and/or tour companies you would recommend, I would appreciate the information.
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2004, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Shore excursions - buy now or wait until cruise

Char, I agree with your TA -- the only ones I have ever seen sell out is the "swim with the dolphins" (or in my case, "drown with the dolphins" :-)

In PV, there are tour companies right at the terminal; however, I did not see any in Acapulco. The same is true in Zijuatenjo; however, I think you can snag a water taxi to that islolated beach. In Cabo, yes, you can book most anything on the pier -- fishing, glass bottom boat, water taxi to Lovers Beach, parasailing etc.

Ask if you need more details.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:34 PM
JaneMarlow

I book all of mine ahead of time. Usually there is ONLY one tour per port we want to see, and I don't want to risk it being sold out.

Such as: Botanical Tour of Catalina, Jungle Tour of PVR, Bird Sanctuary Mazatlan......and it Cabo, I just want to see the town and the cactus garden....

Since I am so specific in what I am interested in, I just book in advance.

Same with spa appointments.
Old September 14th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

One suggestion would be to see how many ships are going to be at the same port as you that day. If you are hoping to book with a private tour operator and there are 7 other ships in port (this will happen to me in Cozumel in Feb), you may want to book earlier. Check out www.cruisecal.com to find out how many ships will be joining you each day.

Old September 14th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Whiteknight

Your TA is probably correct, but if you're sure about a particular excursion, why take a chance by putting it off until going onboard. The longer you wait, the better the chance of experiencing Murphy's Law.