Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2004, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Default Alternate Mexican Riviera Itinerary?

With Hurricane Javier being down in the region of PV, Cabo, and Mazatlan I was wondering what the cruise lines do in terms of altenrates. Since it's not like the Caribbean where they can just go to the other side do they do cruises to nowhere, or do they stay farther north, and visit places like Ensenada, and Catalina? I was noticing that the hurricane looks like it make cause some issues for the Pride this week.
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Alternate Mexican Riviera Itinerary?

Last year, the Pride skipped a port or two ... I think it also did a pit stop in Catalina.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old September 14th, 2004, 01:09 PM
First Mate

I saw that they are skipping P.V. this week due to Javier and going to Ensenda as an alternate.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Boy that would be a major bummer -- its our favorite port. Last year this happened in September, too, if I recall.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:23 PM
First Mate

Yeah, i think we will end up going elseware as the hurricane is heading right up the Mexican coast. I will be a bit down if we miss the ports, but I knew that was a risk when we booked, and besides we will still be on the ship enjoying the fun for 7 whole days so it's not all bad.

Old September 14th, 2004, 09:45 PM
hcat

We are seriously considering cancelling our trip for next Sept & picking a better time of yr. Being from N east we were not aware of the hurricane impacts there--thought all storms headed west...would not want to chance rough seas & going to Ensenada instead of PV . Also seems it is rainy in Manzanillo--our other port. Did this really happen last yr also...if that's true I think we are over it! We are headed to Quebec/ New Eng on Mon on Constellation & will make a decision when we get back. The trip to Mex Riv is for late Sept 05 for our 30th Anniv--Would hate to give up a great cabin & price on Vision but maybe Vegas might be a better choice..Help???
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Whiteknight

Late summer and early fall is always a dicey time to plan a cruise on the Mexican Riviera or the caribbean, for that matter. These are great places to go in the winter, spring and early summer, especially January thru March for the whale exodus. August and September are a good time for Alaska though.
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:12 PM
First Mate

Yeah, we knew about the weather in Mexico, but chose to go for the following reasons:

1) We live in Seattle so honestly Alaska is not that exciting for us.

2) Originally we were sailing the Spirit in December, but then we found out that we are expecting twins in January so we had to change plans and sail before my wife is too far along.

3) Most hurricanes in the Pacific head west. I grew up in Southern California so I knew this was the norm. In this case, the hurricane didn't cooporate.

Don't get me wrong, I knew this was a possibility. Wherever we go we will have a great time! It seems pathetic to complain after seeing what the poor folks in the Caribbean and Southern United States are going through. I have nothing to complain about compared to them.

Post Edited (09-14-04 21:16)

Old September 15th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Dale, congrats on the twins!

I bet your cruise will just work out fine -- but either way, you have a great attitude.

FYI ... just want to point out again, if you need extra storage, on teh Pride, there are two drawers under the sofa. We used 'em to store the extra blankets and pillows.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old September 15th, 2004, 12:45 PM
hcat

Still can't decide. We did see a nice trip on Infinity to Alaska & a 5 day trip from Seattle to Victoria & Vancouver--It's our anniv week & the stress of a possible storm is not what I want. Absent hurricanes down there in late Sept & it being very hot--is it considered the "rainy season" as it would be in Florida?