Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2004, 08:36 PM
jimbug

Default San Jose Airport to San Francisco pier?

Has anyone flown into San Jose and then embarked on their ship in San Francisco? Airfare was so much cheaper for us into SJC, that I had to go ahead and book it.

Someone suggested that we take the Amtrak and bus transfer to the pier, but I am concerned about making all those connections with our luggage. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay the $150 or so for a cab or shuttle van.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: San Jose Airport to San Francisco pier?

Living on the Peninsula halfway between SFO and SJC I've flown in and out of both airporst. I've also sailed out of San Francisco, but we left our car at a relatives house in San Francisco and they took us to the pier.

I'm not sure that Amtrack is a good choice becasue it doesn't go into San Francisco. You'd have to take get off in Oakland or Emeryville, get on an Amtrack Bus to the transbay Terminal and then have to get a bus, trolly or cab to the pier. If you want to take a train you should take the lightrail from the San Jose airport to the Caltrain station in Mountain View then transfer to the Caltrain to San Francisco where you'd need a taxi to the pier.

My advise is to check online for airport shuttle services that go from San Jose to any address in San Francico. Check with Supper Shuttle. You can also save some money if you book round trip.
Old September 17th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Why not just rent a one way car. It will be much cheaper. There are car rental offices very close to the pier.
Old September 20th, 2004, 03:54 PM
paljoeysmom

I live in Santa Clara a short 10 minute drive from SJC. This is complicated, but if you can go on line and get the CalTrain schedule you could take it all the way to the Embarcadero then grab a taxi to the pier.

Here is what I would do. Take a taxi from the airport to the Sunnyvale Cal Train Station (everyone knows where this is that lives in the area.) Then take the CalTrain all the way till the end where it stops at the very last station which is right next to the SBC Ball Park.
From there take a taxi to Pier 35 where you board the boat. It is a short taxi ride.
Old September 21st, 2004, 01:28 PM
JaneMarlow

Caltrans would be better than Amtrak. The Amtrak bus from Emeryville will drop you off at the stanky ol' bus terminal. Then you can take a cab from there to the pier. It's not far, I walk it daily.
Old September 26th, 2004, 12:48 PM
jerwick

Hertz has an office on Beach Street in SF. About 10 minutes from pier. Cab should be $10-20. Car should be fairly cheap.