Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Passenger

Default Progreso, Yucatan

We are looking for any info on Progeso, but really interested in ruins. Please share your stories with us!
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2004, 08:05 PM
elationismyship

Default Re: Progreso, Yucatan

We went into Progresso and there is a review of the stop on my Elation Review under passangers reviews for 4/4/04. Lots of people say Progresso is a dump get to Merida however we took the 45 minute bus to Merida, stayed maybe 30 minutes and headed right back. Merida was packed, no one speaked English and we couldn't find the supposed straw market there. If you are going to Merida, make sure you doing a tour or something because on your own sucks!
Old January 4th, 2005, 02:06 PM
plainjane

Default Re: Re: Progreso, Yucatan

We had a detour to Progresso and were very disappointed. It is like a border town (Tihuana), but with a beach. The kids enjoyed playing in the sand, but the mexican merchants tried to sell you something every 2 minutes. The beach waiter was excellent and if you like authentic mexican food you will enjoy that. The pop was only $1.00 and beer was $2.00 (cheaper than on the Carnival Cruise). The souvenirs were little mexican nic nacs and the kids picked up $5 - $10 worth. But the town itself is a dump and Carnival Cruises should have no right substituting this on a Caribbean Cruise destination as this is definitely not the emerald green waters you are promised. We were extremely disappointed. If you get re-routed to Progresso, I recommend you cancel the entire Cruise and get your money back from Carnival Cruise lines.

There is a free shuttle into Progresso, so don't bother with a taxi.

People we talked to also said Merida was a disappointment.

As for Cozumel. The water is beautiful and the beach was too. However, again, Carnival Cruise is out to get your money. You can book the Underwater submarine yourself for a lot cheaper than they book you (especially if you have children). The people on the Deluxe beach break had to leave the beach at 1:00 for their bus ride back to the ship. We took the basic beach break and split a taxi ride ($14.00 split by 2 = $7) to the beach break and got to stay until 4 pm. Free drinks. The deluxe beach break included lunch, but we ate on the ship before heading to the beach.

My husband and son did a Carnival unlimited snorkel, but the fish where they took you were not very plentiful. They found better fish right off the pier where the ship was docked and it was FREE. I've heard the Chakanaab Park snorkel is good.

Decided we are definitely not Cruise people. Would rather fly to Cozumel or Hawaii and spend the time on the beach instead of on the ship. Much cheaper too!
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to dawmeny
Default Re: Re: Re: Progreso, Yucatan

plainjane: I just came back from this cruise and after ready your post it is as if you read my mind. You are on the money. I agree 100%. And I to am done with cruises. You enjoy an island more when you stay there.