Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:48 AM
Passenger

Default Cliff Divers in Acapulco

Hi all,

I was just wondering if it is really worth $45.00 a head to do the Cliff Divers shore ex. in ACA. I was wondering if anyone has gone to La Quebrada on their own and if it was any cheaper, or any better or worse than the ships excursion. Harry, any idea??

thanks,
Bill

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2004, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Cliff Divers in Acapulco

Bill,

Oddly enough, we did the cultural tour in Acapulco, which skips the divers. It takes you to the giant cross on the hill through Las Brisas, then to the fort (which we had to skip because it was closed that day), then through an old residential section to the Flamingo Hotel (formerly owned by Johnny Weismiller) and then to a mural done by Diego Rivera.

It was a good tour, in that it was just an 8-passenger van, so it had less herd quality.

However, I have heard a lot of comments that the divers were incredible.

My niece just got back from your cruise, and she said definitely they would book a tour when next in Acapulco because the taxi drivers and sales people were very aggressive (and she has traveled a couple times to the Mexican Riviera)

Perhaps a good compromise is to book a cab for a couple hours -- maybe that would work out well?

Harry

Post Edited (12-15-04 13:42)

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:00 PM
Passenger

We WALKED to the cliff divers from our ship!!!!! About a 15 minute walk, with a hill at the end. But it was "downhill" coming back. On the way back, we stopped in the zocalo (central plaza), enjoyed a cool drink and the company of the local children.

When we arrived at the cliff divers' site, we purchased the less expensive tickets, and they were just fine.

A cab would probably take you there reasonably. We saw the people from the ship's excursion there, and they were amazed that we simply strolled to the cliff. ;-)

Bev
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:49 PM
pastordon

I've not been to Acapulco, but I'm going to on the Carnival Spirit in March. From what I can gather from some of Harry's web sites you can catch a taxi for a couple bucks each way and if you're not buying drinks or food in a resturant you can watch from an observation deck for 2-4 bucks each. Although I don't drink alcoholic beverages I wouldn't pay $37 for two if I did drink them.
Old December 15th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cliff Divers in Acapulco

Just saw that Bill leaves on his cruise today ... hope he reports back on how they handled the port stop.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old December 15th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Passenger

Pastordon,
I believe you're correct about the $2 to $4 fee and the purchasing of food and beverages. And you can see the divers just as well.
Frankly, we enjoyed the walk and the local residents.
Bev
Old December 24th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Cliff Divers in Acapulco

Hi Harry,

We just got back yesterday, and it was a great cruise. We opted to "do" Acapulco on our own. We never made it to La Quebrada, but did do the tour of the fort, as it was right across the street!!! We decided to save the money, so the girls could do some more shopping. The taxi drivers in all the ports were very agressive, and sometimes even an emphatic no was not enough. We did use a pedo-cab in Cabo. All in all a great trip.

Bill

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
Mark Twain
Old December 25th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Bill, thanks for reporting back ... and also thanks for reminding me that the fort is right across the street ... that's a great idea for someone who just wishes to do it on their own.

I also appreciate you backing up what my niece said about the taxi drivers ... I find the same thing in Mazatlan, but not as much in Puerto Vallarta (oddly enough)

Welcome back.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old December 29th, 2004, 08:14 PM
AlaskanPilot

I have done the Divers and feel that they have been overhyped for the $40.00 charged. Doing it the way others have suggested is in my opinion, the only sensible way as it truely is not, in my oponion worth the higher cost. There are so many other things to do that are not as drawn out as this one. We have done lots of cruise stops in many different areas and this stop was good many years ago, but has gotten kinda old. You do as well by seeing it on television and see other things in Acapulco. Now for the cheaper price........it is at least a good deal.
Old January 4th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Clueless

I once booked this excursion through a less reputable vendor.

I didn't know what to expect.
They brought me to the top of a hill, but there was no one around me.
Then someone pushed me from behind, and I fell 50 feet into the ocean.
When I emerged, there were a lot of people clapping.

I still don't quite know what happened.
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Cliff Divers in Acapulco

Cute message, thanks for the warning.