Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Michelle Landry

Default 1st time cruisers/Costa Maya & Cozumel

We are going on a cruise to Costa Maya and to Cozumel on the Holiday Ship. This is our first time to go on a cruise as well as to these locations. Any information or tips to cruising as well as things to do at these locations would be a great help. Thanks so much.

Also any advice on things that we should bring??
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: 1st time cruisers/Costa Maya & Cozumel

Michelle:

In Cozumel we went to Chankanaab Park for the day. We went swimming with the sea lions and did the helmet dive. Had a great time doing both. The park offers beach chairs, shade huts, restaurants, bars, restrooms, lockers, and showers. They also have a botanical garden and a replica of the Mayan Ruins. The kids did some snorkeling right off the beach. They brought some dry cereal with them to attract the fish.

In Costa Maya we walked around the shops at the port and then rented a golf cart and drove to Mahahual. Its a small, rustic village about 2 miles from the port. They have a very nich beach there. The only thing I didn't care for was I found the vendors to be very pushy. We're going back in April 2005 and plan to go to Uvero Beach. Others that went there had a great time. The other popular tour is to the ruins. We opted against it as we travel with our children and were told the bus ride was about 2 hours and it was very hot. From what I heard from those that did go, it was a fantastic sight to see.

Hope this helps.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Michelle Landry

Thanks so much Darcy! I will look into the things you suggested. I have one more question for you. Our ship leaves at 4:00 p.m. on Sat Feb 5th, what time should we be at the ship. We are driving from 6 hours away, but we were not sure as to how much time to give ourselves for boarding and such. Thanks again!!

Michelle
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Passenger

Hi Michelle

Please post a review after your cruise as we are going Feb 19-24 2005. Would love to hear what you choose for a shore excursion in Costa Maya. We have been to Cozumel and just loved it
Have a GREAT CRUISE
Old January 11th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Admiral

We got there about noon. The lines weren't bad to check in but then we had to wait in a big room. We boarded about 2:00 p.m. There was a delay as the ship got in late and the previous weeks passengers didn't start getting off the ship until about noon (when we got there). Other cruises we have gotten there about noon and have been on the ship by 1:00 p.m.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Old January 11th, 2005, 08:09 AM
nittany

we've been to cozumel via cruise ship 3 times (the most recent in december). It is a very "user friendly" island. Our favorite thing to do is to rent a car for the day (about $60 if you rent ahead of time at budget - the office is right at the pier), and explore the island. That way you can bounce from beach to beach, see the rougher atlantic ocean side, etc... It was a really good time

Whatever you do have a wonderful trip!
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Michelle Landry

Default Re: Re: 1st time cruisers/Costa Maya & Cozumel

I will be sure to let you know how it goes. I as so ready to go I wish it were tomorrow!!!!
Old January 18th, 2005, 01:50 PM
chilidog

We are 1st timers also , leaving on feb.5 . on princess . trying to figure out what clothes to take and to make sure the water is warm enough to snorkel, my hubby doesn;t want to snorkel if the water is too cold.
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:19 AM
First Mate

The water is always warm, you will have a great time.
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:32 AM
jawfish

I agree, Chankanaab Park for snorkeling and swimming with the dolphins. You can also find useful information on many websites, including http://www.scuba-diving-cozumel.com and http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com. What kinds of things do you like to do?
Old January 22nd, 2005, 12:09 PM
Michelle Landry

We would like to rent dunne buggies somewhere, but didn't know if you could ride them anywhere or just in a trail behind everyone else. We also want to shop, swim and snorkel. Also kind of thinking about visiting the ruins but don't want it to take up all of our time. Any ideas on these would be great.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 03:05 PM
cali-croozer

I also recommend Chankannab in Cozumel........very relaxing, clean, great snorkeling.

We really liked Costa Maya and used it like it was Carnival's "private island". We stayed at the port the whole day; it had everything we needed. From the ship, you can see a beach to the right of the shopping area. This is where we spent the morning, swimming and just hanging out. We rented a couple of chairs for $2 each. There were sodas to buy for $1 or so and, I think, beer. No vendors bothered us. We took some great family pictures on the beach with our ship in the background. Then, we went back to the ship to change and eat lunch (it's great because the ship is right there). After lunch, we went back out to the shopping area where there was also a show going on (music and dancing). There's also a large pool with a swim up bar in this area....mostly for adults though (but kids are allowed......I think they have more fun at the beach). Costa Maya was a very inexpensive, no stress day. Enjoy, whatever you decide to do.
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Admiral

MIchelle:

You can rent dune buggys at Costa Maya. If you go outside the shopping area where the buses and taxis are there is a stand there that rents them (as well as the golf carts). As I recall the Dune Buggys were $30/hour. The golf carts were $15/hr. You can also take a taxi to Mahahual. We opted for the golf cart as we wanted to go further down the road past Mahahual and just look around. While some people walked, I wouldn't want to. Its about 2 miles and it was very hot while we were there. I pretty active but that wan't my idea of fun.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Great tips, everyone! I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate 'em now and in the future.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Michelle Landry

Thanks so much to everyone that replied. I really appreciate all the wonderful advice. We are going to have a GREAT time!!!!

Michelle
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Michelle

If you go to the ruins its an all day trip. We opted not to do them as we travel with our kids and I know they wouldn't have enjoyed it. Those who did go said that it was unbeleivable. From what I heard the bus ride is about 2 hours each way.

I think the shopping was better in Cozumel than in Costa Maya. At the port there is a shopping mall area in Costa Maya. In Mahahual there are vendors along the street selling trinkets. I found most of the stuff they were selling in Costa Maya was the same as in Cozumel, only it was cheaper in Cozumel. My daughter bought a bracelet in Costa Maya for $10. In Cozumel they were 3 for $10.

This year we plan to walk around in Cozumel, do some shopping and spend some time on the beach. In Costa Maya we plan to do the ship's tour to Uvero Beach.

Have a great time!

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05