Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:46 AM
pcboston

Default How rough are seas Mexican Riviera Cruises?

Hi everyone,

I posted a similar question on the staff board, but maybe this is a better location for it. I'm researching cruises out of San Diego, because we'd love to spend a few days there pre-cruise. I'd like to know how rough the ride is in that area, compared to the Caribbean? Is one time of year better than another? I think they only sail until sometime in April so I was a little concerned that it may be still pretty choppy out there.Also, I think there are only two ships that leave from San Diego, Carnival and Holland. I'd be grateful for any insight. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: How rough are seas Mexican Riviera Cruises?

we did the 7 day Mexican Riviera in Jan. We actually left from San Pedro and they were having the storm of the century and I was pretty concerned that it was going to be very rocky on the water because of such high winds and rain. Once you get down a ways the weather warms and the ocean calms. We had virtually no waves on the way down. that is really just the luck of the draw though. All the ports were sunny and warm. On the way back it got windy and more choppy but still not bad. I think we were lucky because you hear lots of stories from lots of itinerys, even the Caribbean where it was pretty wild.
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

PC, the only time we've experienced rougher seas is on teh way back to San Diego ... I think because the ship is traveling at top speed against the current. It's more pitching than any thing else, and I just take two Bonine that day.

Also, look under the "News and Features" button - I have an article up on what you may wish to do in San Diego ... It's under Ports of Call/Pacific

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old February 9th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Frank Black

I have done 15 Mexican Riviera cruises. 12 out of San Diego and 3 out of LA. I guarantee you rougher seas the last day home. Not huge seas, but 3+ foot swells. Part is due to the extra speed the ships use to get back to port. Part is that you often are heading into wind and some currents. But, I my wife and I have never been really bothered by it. On the Ryndam last April, two ladies at our table missed dinner the last night. My wife uses the patches the last day.

BTW... it does not seem to matter the time of year. Just take some dramamine or a pacth and you will be fine.
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:01 PM
pcboston

Thanks so much everyone. The best way to learn anything is from people who have actually done it. Nothing beats the experience of travelers who have been there. That's why I love reading these boards. I appreciate you all taking the time.