Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Passenger

Default Mexican riveria shopping

I leave on Feb 20 for my second Carnival Cruise! Can anyone tell me about the shopping in the Mexican Riveria. What is a good buy? What is not.

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Mexican riveria shopping

Silver is the great bargin, make sure that the 925 number is stamped somewhere on the silver, that means that it is the real deal. they also have wonderful pottery and lots of brightly painted laquered plates etc. the ship will also do a seminar about buying diamonds, tanzanite and some other precious stones and the reputable places to make your purchases. I have never come home empty handed . I love all the crafts they make more than the jewels but there seems to be a lot of both. make sure to bargain that is half of the fun. If you think it is not the right price just walk away, they will probably come after you and make the deal, if not , most things can be found else where and that is why there are anxious to deal. alcohol is very cheap and it is also a deal onboard the ship. we bought a huge bottle of Kaluha on board for $13. Have fun, it is a cool place, don't let the people in your face bother you, just say "no gracias " and keep walking. Kristine
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Laurie Qualls

hi the booze is a good deal the rest of it is mostly factory composed things be careful and the silver still is bad sometimes with the stamp...do not spend a lot on things to take home rip off have been on six cruises to mexico had so much fun but do not spend on trinkets.......you have been warned..have a blast....Laurie
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Frank Black

In general, Mexican Riviera goods are junk. I have been there on a 15 cruises. First, 99% of the silver they sell on the streets is junk. My wife went into a quality store and bought some silver ear rings. The things fell apart in 30 days. Posts fell off. The leather is also inferior. T-shirts shrink to nothing. Pottery and plates have lead paint. The best buy is liquor.
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:07 PM
First Mate

Good deals can be hand in reputable jewlery stores, but you must know your prices before you go. We got a great deal on an excellent certified 1 ct diamond from Pacific Jewelers and also on an onyx and gold bracelet. It was at the end of their season and they were willing to deal. Genuine Turquois and Onyx set in silver are a good deal, but make sure it's genuine. Mexico does a good job with "glass" jewels that look like real, but they are fake, but the silver is real and they are pretty, just don't pay a lot. You can get some cute knock off purses, gucci and kate spade. The Del Sol T-shirts are well made and don't shrink excessively, but they are a bit more expensive. Still they are a nice souviner. There is a lot of junk, you do have to know what you're looking at. Leather goods can be a good deal, but again know your prices and be prepared to walk away. Cosmetics, colognes and perfumes in the duty free shops you don't pay tax or duty so they are cheaper than at home and are the real deal.

Have fun.
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:09 PM
First Mate

I forgot to mention, Vanilla, it's very cheap and good, pick some up.