Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Yeoman

Default Embarking and disembarking on the Pride

Last time we went on the Pride, she was at Port Canaveral. Very easy to get on and a little while to get off, but nothing out of the ordinary.
I've been reading about the horrors of getting on and off in Long Beach. SAid something about doing paperwork over at the Queen Mary. Is this for just people that have rooms there?
Our flight gets in at 9:20. Not sure after we get our luggage it will take us to arrive at the port. Any helpful hints to boarding at Long Beach other than doing our paperwork that we can online?
Getting on at Port Canaveral is such a breeze. Hate to spend hours in line just to get on and off.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Embarking and disembarking on the Pride

Bigsky, you can do early check in at the Queen Mary ... I think till 11 a.m. The area is right to the left of the terminal building. We got to port early but had no horrible wait to get on.

Getting off, the only wait (of course with the color tag calling) is to go thru Customs .. That usually takes 30-45 mins in line, but normally about 30.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hey , are you guys getting close to your cruise? It must be getting close. I wish I were going along, I am already homesick for Puerto Vallarta and you will see why have fun!!!!!
Kristine
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Yeoman

Thanks for the info Harry..
Kristine, Our cruise is June 12th...so it's not too close, but we're counting down. We are in double digits..I think it's a little over 90 days. I will have to tell you all about how much I enjoyed it when we return. I really am more excited for the kids than us adults. Our kids have gone on a shorter cruise before, but we're taking someone that hasn't cruised at all.

Laura
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Laura, don't miss the deli sandwiches in the buffet restaurant -- my fave!

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Yeoman

Harry, Wev'e been on the Pride when it was out of Port Canaveral. I remember the deli in the Mermaide Grille, but didn't eat there. I'll have to remember that and tell our kids as well. I'm sure we won't see them much. Taking our teenage son and daughter and her boyfriend.

I just hope we won't be disappointed in doing the Mexican Riviera. We've just stuck with the Caribbean since it's so beautiful. I'm sure we just have to look at the MR differently. As far as the ship, I know we'll love it since we've been on it before.
Actually, we went on the Mariner in December and our overall experience on the ship compared to the Pride is that we liked the Pride better! I thought the food was better and entertainment was superior to the Mariner. We loved our cd on the Pride at the time as well.

Guess I'm a little nervous too about boarding, but you say it wasn't that bad. I hope to get to the Queen Mary early enough to check in there. Is it walking distance if we choose to ck in there and then just walk over to the Pride and stand in line? Or do we have to do more at the port and just easier to ck in at once there?

When you go to a new port that you haven't been to, you just don't know what to expect. Now ask me anything about flying into Orlando and I could help, but this is new to me.

Thanks for all your help!
Laura
Old March 12th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Laura, it's easy walking distance from teh Queen Mary check-in to the terminal building -- I'd say about a city block in length. (They also have tables and food stands about).

I've heard comments before about people comparing Caribbean and Mexican Riviera. It's like comparing apples to oranges. First, just know this from the get-go -- nope the water is not aqua color, nope the water is not as warm, and finally, you will be stopping in cities, not a tropical looking oasis.

Now, with that open mind, there are lots of fun things to do and the people are very friendly.

You may want o check out some galleries I posted on what we have done in port to see what may appeal to you too. Just search my name under the photo galleries (under Interactive Features). By the way, I think you and your son may enjoy horseback riding in Mazatlan with Randi's Happy Horses -- it was the highlight of our last stop in Mazatlan.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 12th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Yeoman

Thanks Harry! Yes, I do have to keep an open mind and remember it's not going to be the same. But I'm sure we'll all find things that we like about it and enjoy. Have to look at the positive in everything.
Old March 19th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Delores

I am considering booking this cruise, only on the NCL Star. I have only been on Princess & RC. Not sure what to expect from NCL or Carnival. The prices are pretty close, and don't want to go on the Vision as we've already been on it. I am 64 & my husband is 73, so we don't want to be on a cruise with lots of 20's & 30's. Harry, I've noticed you've been on a lot of cruises. What's your thoughts?? Thanks.
Old March 19th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Delores,

My niece went on her honeymoon on the Star down to Acapulco (I paid for her to be upgraded from an inside to a balcony). We took the Spirit down.

Having sailed Norwegian, I can say it's closer to a Princess-type feel. It also has personal choice dining, so if you prefer that. The cabins, however, are smaller. And, pesonally, I prefer the 2 days at sea back and forth on Spirit, rather than making a stop in Cabo.

(Oh and I've been on Vision -- and the Rhapsody, too)

It's really a toss-up, because I love personal choice, but the Spirit class ships are fantastic.

Wish I could be less wishy-washy, but both would be fantastic.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 04:53 PM
JD

Hello Harry I am looking for some Skippers club information in long beach. I am going on the Pride on April 24 2005 Is there a long line for the skippers club. I was also wondering if you know or know anyone who knows if The Coast Long Beach Hotel is with in waling distance of the peir.

Thank you
Jd In NJ
Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:12 PM
tennytine

Bigsky, I took that cruise last year the embarkation process was a breeze, really it was,nt that big of a deal, it moves fast.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Hi JD,

We arrived extra early for boarding the Pride ... to the point they were not allowing people into the terminal yet (I think it was about 11 a.m.). Anyway, a woman from Carnival walked thru the line and asked whether anyone was booked Category 11 or above, and puleld those poeple out to board first. So that's what should happen. Just mention your status to any Carnival rep, and you should be able to go in right away.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old April 3rd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Yeoman

Thanks tennytine...I hope it will be as easy for us. We're used to not waiting in lines to do the paperwork to board. We have 70 days til we sail!
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Captain

Delores, based on your comment regarding age I think you'd like Princess. We were on the Princess Star to Mexico and the NCL Star. Both were great cruises. Princess was an older crowd. (although when you travel has alot to do with the passenger's age.) We also liked NCL with their freestyle cruising. It was very relaxing never having to hurry to dress for dinner. (Oh, I seem to remember that Princess offered the same thing. We choose to have our dinner at a set time so we could get to know some of our fellow passengers. Both were very nice ships. NCL's cabins are smaller, we had a mini suite which wasn't alot bigger that the balconey on the Carnival Spirit, although having the nice large bathroom with a tub was very nice.
Have a great cruise.

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old April 9th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Embarking and disembarking on the Pride

Laura, My name is Sharon. We will be on the Pride on June 12 also. There are goinh to be 16 in our group. Can't wait!! My 12 year old and I went on the Paradise just before Christmas this year. We'd heard about early check in and all, but didn't really have a grasp on it all. Well, we did it all backwards, but it worked out fine. We stayed at the Coast Long Beach (waited too long this time and couldn't get rooms- anywhere in Long Beach- so we're staying in Seal Beach and will take the Aqua Link over to the Queen Mary.) Anyway, I'm straying from the point. We walked over from the hotel- all connected with sidewalks. Maybe a 10 minute walk. My daughter checked for wildlife amongst the rocks at the waters edge, so we were in no hurry. We found the back of the Queen Mary (closest to the giant white dome that is the Carnival terminal.) We rolled on board with our luggage in tow (we found out later you go to the parking garage area and leave it with the porters first.) Anyway, check in was maybe 10 minutes. Then we were free to roam around until about 11:30 or so we saw a line forming to the left of the terminal doors. That line was for people doing early check in. We waited maybe 45 minutes- maybe less. Then on to lunch we went. Was quite easy.
We were almost the last group to disembark. No problem- our flight wasn't leaving until 3 anyway. Just roamed around until our group was called. The worst was the wait in line at customs. Seemed quite a long wait, but oh well. Disney has the easiest. Took just a matter of minutes.
Old April 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Yeoman

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for your message. We have like 64 more days til we leave!...9 weeks! We'll be a group of 5...Me, hubby, son, daughter and her bf. Our flight comes in at 9:15 in the morning, so we don't have to stay in a hotel the night before. WE've never done this, so I'm a little nervous about not getting in the day prior. But it's not winter like when we usually cruise. Wouldn't do this at that time of the yr.
Wow, you have 16 in your group! I'll be looking for a very large group of people waiting to board!
We also went on Disney and had to stand in line on the ship to get off. We went on RCCI in Dec. and was the 2nd color to be called. Got off so easy. Finding your luggage was the hardest part! We're meeting family at the airport to visit with before we fly home. So we'd like to get off asap. Our friends went on this itinerary on the Pride and they have this check every like 45 days or so. Took much longer to get off. The only thing I'm worried about. But when we checked in on RCCI, we told them we had an excursion to go to early that morning, so that's why we ended up with getting a color to get off early.
I think when we get there in LB, we'll figure it out from the info. you gave me as well as others. (hopefully) Just when you've never been somewhere, you don't know what you'll see and expect. But since we've gone through the process with other ports, it will probably be about the same.
Maybe we'll see you there!
Old April 10th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Embarking and disembarking on the Pride

Our group consists of my husband and 12 year old daughter- my sister and an 11 year old daughter and 18 year old son- my other sister with her 13 year old son- my other sister and her older daughter and her youngest daughter with boufriend and our cousin fron Green Bay cold country andnthe boyfriend and the mother of the son
Look for the crowd with the largest appitites. They plan to eat their way across the ocean. We will be in6232- stop on by.We have to figure out what to do in PV and Cabo,
I think I'm ready to start packing soon- just got the itch, See you soo-n Sharon.
Old April 10th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Yeoman

Hi Sharon..
We have Cabo figured out and ideas for PV and Mazatlan. I'm usually in charge of excursions. Everyone else is just going along for the ride.
We don't have our rooms assigned yet. I did a guarantee this time. Hope we won't be disappointed!
I can't possible start packing yet. But come May, I'll start putting stuff in suitcases.
I'll be looking for you all.
See ya~ Laura
Old April 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Admiral

In Cabo, you have a short time there, so I always recommend doing the glass bottom boat ride that you can book at the pier for $12 a person. It takes you out to Los Arcos and around to the Pacific side -- get a close up look at everything, including the sea lions. Runs 45 mins.

In PV, you have a lot of choices. The tequil tour is interesting. And for the adventurous, the Canopy tour gets high marks. Personally, we love PV and enjoy justy wlaking around town, the maleon, the Rio Cuale and drinks and something to eat on Los Muertos Beach.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old April 10th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Yeoman

Harry,
Isn't the glass bottom boat where they drop u off over there to snorkel after you got a little tour. ...Lover's beach or something like that? This is what we wanted to do.

I'm sure I've asked this before, but which place did u think was best for shopping?

Thanks!
Laura
Old April 11th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Laura, the glass bottom boats will drop you off at Lovers Beach, or you can just take a water taxi. Lots of people snorkel over there.

Shopping wise, I prefer Puerto Vallarta. Sales people are more aggressive in Mazatlan, and Cabo is a little too Americanized (however, it's a great place to get that last minute thing like Kahlua or Vanilla)

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Yeoman

Thanks Harry!