Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:13 PM
lprediletto

Default Costa Maya Suggestions

Does anyone have any suggestions for fun things to do in Costa Maya??

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:20 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: Costa Maya Suggestions

We went to Costa Maya when we sailed an itinerary with 4 ports. Since we had activities planned at the other 3 ports, we decided Costa Maya would be our relaxing port. We basically used it as a "private island". We hung out at the beach, to the right of the dock, in the morning. Then, went back to the ship to shower/change and eat lunch. After that, we "toured" the shopping area; there were local musicians/dancers as well as shopping (we mostly "window" shop, just buy a trinket or t-shirt from each port). In this area, there is a large swimming pool with swim-up bar; lots of people were having a great time there. All in all, it was a perfect day. Being "on the go" at the other 3 ports, it was nice to have a no-stress, VERY inexpensive day in Costa Maya.
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

One of the more popular excursions in Costa Maya is the ruins. We didn't do it as we were traveling with our children and heard that the bus ride was long and hot, but the ruins were spectacular! We spent the day on the beach at Majahual. We rented a golf cart @ $15/hr and drove there on our own (its aout 2 miles from the port). There's a very nice beach there. The only thing I didn't care for were the vendors were very aggressive. This year we're doing the ship's tour to Uvero Beach.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:30 AM
cali-croozer

Darcy, I didn't know that about the vendors. I'm glad we decided to stay by the port as I really can't stand being hounded. The beach by the port was probably more crowded than the one you went to but the only vendors were ones renting chairs and selling sodas (and, maybe beer), but you had to go up to their stand. Nobody bothered us. (that's why I liked Chankanaab in Cozumel too).

I see you are getting ready to leave really soon! How exciting. I am finally in double digits (about 3 months out). Yeah!!!!
Old March 28th, 2005, 02:43 PM
cruising princess

Costa Maya is our favorite port!!! My husband (30) and myself (29) take a taxi $3 the three miles to Mahajual - the small "fishing village" close to the port. We tried walking once, but it was way too far and hot. The last 1/4 mile of the walk was along the beach though and spectacular. Of course you can take the taxi and then just walk along the beach. We have never been hounded by the area merchants. Sorry the previous poster has. There really aren't very many, just two little strips of booths. You can get henna (temporary) tatoos for cheap.
There are several little "restaurants" along the beach road as well. We went to the farthest one first and did not enjoy the food, but we stopped at a friend's table who got food at the one just past the vendors and their's was amazing. Especially the Guacamole. Will be eating here in two weeks!
There are massages on the beach for $20 or $25 a 1/2 hour, just watch for the best deal. They will also work on the price if you want to bump it up to an hour and have more than one paying person. You can't miss it, there are lots of places offering this right on the water.
You may also enjoy the horse back riding. We missed out on this last time because my sister forgot her money and we had to pay for her souveniers, massage, etc and didn't have enough money left over. Expecting to do it this time though. I think it was $30 per person for the hour long ride.
You will have no problem finding a taxi to or from Majahaul, just follow the signs. Go to the restroom at the port though, I did not see any nice facilities in the beach area.
Old March 28th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Admiral

cali-croozer: The vendors were the only issue I had with Majahual. I've found in most places a "no thank you" does the trick (other than Jamaica). In Majahual I had one vendor grab my arm and pull me into his stall and then kept moving around in front of me so I couldn't get out trying to get me to buy something. Then I had another grab my arm and try to put a bracelet on me. This is the kind of thing that really puts me off. Once I escaped to the beach everything was fine. We didn't have any trouble with them coming onto the beach, it was just walking through town. I know they make their money from tourists and I did buy some souvenirs to help the local economy (just not from the grabby two).

cruising princess: Other than the vendors I really enjoyed Majahual. If it hadn't been for my experiences with them I wouldn't have come away with any negatives at all. I just wish they would realize that and tone it down a little. I most likely would have bought more from the local merchants but started to feel like I was being hounded and just escaped to the beach.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM
First Mate

My sister and I had the best time in Costa Maya. We went to the first beach club on the way to Majuahal (Tequila Beach Club) and there were hardly any people there, maybe 20 all day long. They had great prices on massages, drinks and food. I had the best fish ever for only 8.00, and a wonderful massage for 25.00. Their bathroom was even nice! Flushing tolets, I was supprised. This was our favorite place to relax and we did a wonderful snorkel trip from there also for only 25.00.
Old April 12th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Princess Diana

We also went to Tequila Beach Club. It was not crowded at all and we had our own personal waiter who took great care of us. His name was Willie and he dubbed me Princess Diana. He was a lot of fun. We did the snorkel trip from there as well. I wish we had more time to spend there - it was a highlight of our whole trip.
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Terri H

How far is the first beach club after getting off the ship? We were in Costa Maya last year but we did the Mayan Ruins excursion and didn't have much time left to do much else. We will be going back in July and I would like to do somthing different. I think we will be going to one of the beaches, but I would like to walk to maybe a beach club or something different.

Terri
Old April 28th, 2005, 02:43 PM
First Mate

I am not sure just how far it is, but I would not walk - too far for me. It is the first stop though. Took about 5 minutes by bus.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Well we just got back and did the excursion to Uvero Beach through Carnival (Jungle Beach Break). Save your money. The beach at Majahual was much nicer (and cheaper). While the beach itself was nice, with plenty of chairs, we didn't like the water. The bottom was mostly sea grass with a few small sandy paths. While it was open bar the drinks were really weak. I don't drink much and got a buzz off one pina colada on the ship. At Uvero Beach I drank 6 without any effect at all.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05