Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:48 PM
Passenger

Default Playa Del Carmen - Tulum Shore Excursion

Hello ... looking for a referral ...

I will be sailing on the Carnival Ecstasy in May - we will be porting in Playa Del Carmen. I want to take a shore excursion to see the Tulum-Mayan Ruins.

Carnival is not selling this tour. I've checked www.shoretrips.com - they dont have one that fits our itinerary. We will be in port from 7:00am - 4:00pm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:42 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Playa Del Carmen - Tulum Shore Excursion

WE ARE SAILING TO PLAYA DEL CARMEN WHEN IS YOUR DEPATURE WE ARE LEAVING ON THE 7th AND ALL MY WIFE WANTED TO DO WAS SEE THE RUINS SO WE ARE RENTING A CAR AND DRIVING TO THE BIG ONES THE CHITZEN ITZU(SP) RUINS INLAND I FOUND A GOOD SITE THAT GAVE DIRECTIONS. I AM RENTING A JEEP FOR 50 BUCKS AND DRIVING ALL HIGHWAY THERE AND BACK.
I CAN GIVE YOU THAT WEBSITE IF YOU WANT
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Playa Del Carmen - Tulum Shore Excursion

Hey ... leaving from Galveston? That's the cruise I'm on as well ... The Ecstasy leaving Galveston on May 7. I would really have rather seen those ruins too, but they are so far away ... I find it scary to think about driving in a foriegn country.

If you want to consider going to Tulum, www.shoretrips.com offers a Tulum excursion, but you gotta have six people to reserve it. There are four folks in my group.
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Shi

Default Re: Re: Playa Del Carmen - Tulum Shore Excursion

Ted, can I get the website for your car rental and direction to Tulum?
Thanks a lot!

Shirley
Old April 19th, 2005, 09:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Playa Del Carmen - Tulum Shore Excursion

Warning---

It's better to have more big burly guys in the car when traveling down the main coastal highway to Tulum (or anywhere down the coast) because everytime we've rented a car out of cancun and done this (gone to Tulum and even south of there and back), there have been military road blocks, where randomly cars are pulled over and searched by well armed military (some look as young as 16). Make sure you do not carry large sums of money or even medication with you. My husband was 6'6" tall and so, we were always waved on and not selected, but it is scary to see families standing outside their vehicles on the side of the road and men with lots of ammo and machine guns rifling through the vehicle and their belongings.

Just want you to know what you could possibly run in to. We had no idea. I'm no longer married and have traveled to cancun, but would never go it alone in vehicle down the coast to Tulum or anywhere on my own.