Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:38 PM
First Mate

Default Acapulco/Ixtapa/Manzanillo

Looking into the 8 night Spirit cruise in Nov. Does anyone have any 1st hand experience on any of the excursions in any of these ports?? We really enjoyed the jungle tour and stone island on our past cruise to Mexico. Any info would be helpful. Is this a good cruise to do?? Don't think I could talk my husband into another 7 day riviera cruise. Help.
Have a great cruise all!!
Thanks, Kristina

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Acapulco/Ixtapa/Manzanillo

Kristina, you can't miss with that cruise -- still one of my all time favorites.

The two days at sea down and back make for a super relaxing cruise .. you don't come back tired from all you did in port.

Speaking of which, the ports are great. Acapulco was our least fave just because it is such a big city. But we took the cultural tour, which was enjoyable. My lender just got back from the same cruise, and she said the same for the excursion. I also like it that you are in an 8-paassenger van, rather than a big ol bus.

Zijuatenejo is very easy to do on your own. You may wish to take the water taxi over to Las Gatas beach. Also, a stroll along the sea shore is great with the fisshing village there. My lender went horseback riding there, and enjoyed that a lot, too.

In Manzanillo, I now wish we had booked a tour, because the town -- though pretty -- just did not have a lot to sight-see. My lender took an inland tour that went through teh jungles, etc, and said she loved it. Don't know the name of it.

Also, for more info, do a search on the Mexico board of the port names. Also, do a search in the photo gallerries for my name, and I have ship and port photos.

We did this cruise, because we were also looking for something different, and the Spirit and this trip fit the bill.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Donald Knipp

My wife and I did that cruise in March. The ports were great. We made up our own tours using taxi"s and saved a ton of money while enjoying everything we went to see and do. The weather down and back in March was cool and windy, but the Spirit is a great ship, and they had more activities scheduled than you could possibly do. The entertainment was great ( much improved over what that same ship offered in 2003. The sunsets were the best I'd ever seen. The beaches were very good, but the water was not as clear or as warm as in the Carribean. Good Luck!
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Captain

Tell Stan and Cindy Russell in the Kool Lounge hi. They our fantastic and made our cruise.

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old July 8th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Sonia k.

You can 't go wrong with the Carnival Spirit and that itenarary. Our family did it last Feb. and are already booked for next Feb. (this time we are bringing 15 families along with us. The ports are amazing. We never do the excursions, we like to find the best resorts and go there. Fairmont in Acapulco was beautiful, Anywhere in Ixtapa is fine, and Manzanillo we spent the day at Karmina's Palace...beautiful. Many people from our ship were there. You can schedule it through the ship or go on your own and pay for the day. I HIGHLY recommend this ship!
Have fun!
Sonia
Old July 9th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Admiral

That is one of my favorite cruises -- very relaxing with the two days at sea down and two days at sea back. Great ports, too

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old July 16th, 2005, 09:54 PM
First Mate

i will be on the spirit doing this cruise in feb of 2007. we do not want to do alot of tours, only wandering around, laying on the beaches and shopping. is it easy to get to the beaches and just lay and sun yourself for the day in port--acopulco, ixtapa, manzonillo??? that is mainly what we want to do but we dont know if we need to take taxis to get to the beaches or we can walk to them. any help is much appriciated.

Old July 17th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Antron, 3 people have told me definitely to book an excursion in Acapulco, because the vendors, cabbies, etc are all very aggressive. It's very easy to do beach, etc, in Zijuatenejo, but you will need to take a cab to Ixtapa. (They tender you into Zijuatenejo -- this consistently rates as the favorite port, so I would defnitly skip Ixtapa and enjoy teh beauty of Zijuatenejo. Manzanillo is known for its beaches ("10" was filmed there.) The ship docs in this military/industrial zone and a free shuttle takes you into town. From there, you should be able to get a cab to a nice beach. The town is pretty but not much to see, so I would keep this as your lay in teh sun day.

Hope this helps, and does anyone have any other suggestions/additions?

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old July 17th, 2005, 02:36 PM
First Mate

harry

thank you so much. this will be my first time going to a '' sunny beach vacation spot '' and i need all the help i can get. we more or less choose the mexican riviera because i am absolutely going to avoid the '' hurricane season '' for the beaches. is there a save time during the winter months to go to the caribbean?? it would be easier to leave from florida but i am so scared of the bad weather. we live in the midwest and want to go to a warm place when we are knee deep in snow here. there are so many choices and destinations and early 2007 is the only time i can go on this trip. also carnival has the prices i can afford and i am very happy with their ships. i am reading all i can here on the boards but any help would be very much appriciated..

thanks again for the reply. i have read many of your post and replies and they are very helpful to me. i am going to save this one for future use.

Old July 19th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Antron, we sailed to Mexican Riviera in February of last year and experienced the best weather ever -- 80 in Puerto Vallarta and not muggy. Great time of the year for Mexico.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:47 AM
First Mate

thanks harry. it sounds great. i hope we get as lucky as you did. wow, it is going to be a long time before we get to go since we are so excited about this cruise.