Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:40 PM
fredrika17

Default purified water?

I know this may seem silly, but I am a worrier (spelled right?). Any way, do well known bars such as Papa's & Beer or Senor Frogs use purified water for ice in their drinks?
Am I safe to drink a margarita?
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: purified water?

I have never had a problem drinking a margarita, etc in a popular hotel or restaurant. I would be a little antsier in a hole in the wall place, though, or something far out of the port area.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Frank B

I beg to differ. I have been down to the Mexican Riviera numerous times. 14 cruises and 3 land vacations. The first few times was on a land tour. We tried very hard to watch what we ate. We went only to well known restaurants. Stayed at the best hotels. My wife got sick. The local doctor told us that many well known spots especially one "Irish" named place kept him pretty busy. Two weeks a go a neighbor took her family to PV for a week vacation. I told her to carefully watch what they ate. All 5 got tourista.

I was in PV and Mazatlan 30 days ago and as usual, NEVER take ice in a drink. Only bottled beer, cans of soda, or bottled water. I never eat a meal on shore. (Actually I did eat at Daniel's restaurant on an excursion in Mazatlan, but stayed away from ice. Cabo is safer. But I have heard of people getting sick.

The bottom line...in my opinion why chance it. What do you think a restaurant will do if they happen to run out of "purified" ice? They know they will never see you again and want your money.
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Admiral

We go to P.V. a lot for land cruises. The restaurants in P.V. are very careful, especially with ice. If you want to be totally safe, take two Pepto Bismol tablets each morning. We have two doctor friends who live in P.V. They said to take two of these funny pink chewables as a precaution. It is pretty much foolproof as a preventative measure.

Or if you are unsure of a place, simple ask if the "hielo (ice) es purificado??." But really most everyone speaks reasonable English.

Squeeze a few limes or limones in your drink too. The acid can help purify your drink, not to mention the alcohol.

The only side effect to the Pepto Bismol is darker stools which can be alarming if you don't expect the change.

I've been in P.V. probably 200 days or so when I add our visits all up. We have only gotten the "touristas" once and that was because of raw veggies improperly washed in tap water. We ate at a roadside stand in this instance.

Post Edited (05-14-05 11:26)
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:29 PM
MztFrank

I do not know if all of you are aware of this. Us locals, do not drink the tap water. We buy filters at home or big bottle jugs of purified water. Most Restaurants DO CARE about doing things right. Restaurant owners DO Want people to return. Some people have a bad idea about Mexicans jusy wanting money. I will not say that some do, but this happens worldwide and even in the US. There are a lot of people interested in the tourism industry and we do care about the tourists. I have many friends that come year round to Mazatlan and eat and drink at the same places and do not get sick.
Sometimes it is not the ice in the Margarita........remember it also has tequila!

Mazatlan Frank
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

My husband used to always gets some minor stomich problems, I never have, I have an iron stomich. I am always very careful, I always buy bottled water, he usually gets a soft drink with ice. I found that if I start taking acodopholis about a month before I travel it creates good bacteria in your system and protects from the bad, I swear by it. I also take along mint tea, good for tummy problems. I wouldn't forgo the margarita, it is part of the fun, but take some precautions. My husband hasn't had any problems since we started with the acodopholis, now he doesn't have to give up ice in his drinks.