Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Beginner

Default Active Mexican Riviera excursions wanted

My sister and I are not beach type people. We're sailing in Feb on Celebrity Mercury and want some energetic type activites in the ports. We're doing Randi's horseback riding in Mazatlan and the a canopy tour in PV. Which is better, the one to El Eden Park or Vallarta tour company? Also we still need some ideas for Cabo, Acapulco and I/Z. Any ideas would be appreciated. We love to hike and get out of the cities.
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Pattty, I am wracking my brain for more adneturous things to do in your remaining ports, because most are either scenic tours, etc.

I would say that if you were gonna take it easy in one port to do so in Zijuatenjo ... this is hands-down the most beautiful port you'll visit. The area by the fishing village is a great place to sit back, have some lunch and drinks, and just relax.

In Cabo, probably the glass bottom boat ride to Los Arcos would be somewhat of an adventure for you (goodness knows those teeny boats are somewhat scary). You can book this at the pier -- $12.

Acapulco we did the cultural tour which was interesting, and most everyone says to book a tour if anywhere due to the aggressiveness fo the cabbies and sales people.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:34 AM
Beginner

If you just don't like "sunning" but can handle activities in the water at Cabo you can rent jet skis at the public beach or ride the "banana boats". You can also have a taxi take you to Bahia Santa Maria--a nice beach on the corridor where we have snorkeled. When you're done walk up the path to the Hotel Twin Dolphin, a beautiful resort with a great pool over looking the ocean. We sat there and had a drink from the bar, then caught a taxi back to town.
If you really don't want any water activity, you can join an ATV tour to the old lighthouse. It's a lot of fun, and quite a work out too. You drive your own atv 4 wheeler and after driving a bit through town you go off road and end up at the sand dunes. I don't know if you can book this through the ship. There are at least two companies that are right in town that you can sign up with directly. I would get off the ship early and ask for directions once you get into town--its not far and there are a couple tours a day I believe. Bring sunscreen, and wear sneakers rather than open toed sandals. A bandana is nice to cover your mouth when it gets dusty.
karin
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:40 AM
Beginner

One other thing--I did the Vallarta company Canopy Tour in PV and loved it! The trip there was almost as great as the actual zip line tour--took about 45 minutes with all of us sitting in the back of an open army transport type truck. The canopy zip lines were amazing--it was a definite highlight!
karin
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Great tips, you guys!!!!

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old December 10th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Passenger

Patty,

Even better than the canopy tour is the Outdoor Adventure Challenge which is also with Vallarta Adventures. Not only do you zipline above the jungle, but you also rappel down waterfalls - the last one being 120 feet high. See their website at www.vallarta-adventures.com

They have only been running this particular excursion for about 4 weeks now so it may not be in your excursion guide yet.

I must admit that I was a little concerned about safety - being in Mexico and all, but it was very obvious to me that safety was their number one priority. I can't say enough about this excursion. See my post "Outdoor Adventure Challenge" in the excursions thread. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about this excursion.
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007

There are quite a few new tours in Acapulco called adventure tours. And in Ixtapa aswell. Check them out to see what they will be offering that day. I belive they have something to do with white water rafting and another one called oceanriders this is for Acapulco. This is all very new this season and its sounds like what you are looking for.hope this has been of some help.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:04 PM
First Mate

If you haven't already confirmed the canopy tour in PV, you would love the Outdoor challenge (Celebrity PV36), which also includes about 6 or 7 zip line rides through the jungle canopy. We did it in January and it was great. See my Mercury review for more info. Also can look it up in Vallarta-Adventures.com website.
Old February 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Yeoman