Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
Passenger

Default deer island kyaking in Matazalan

We did kyaking and snorkling in Hawaii and had a blast. Has anyone done this tour and if so did you like it, was it adventerous or just so so activity wise, and did you have to book it through the cruise line or can you do it yourself. Which company did you use and were there a ton of people doing this tour at the same time or was it just a small group? Thanks for help with these many questions, I appreicate any help.
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Passenger

I took this trip about 4 years ago from the Sea Princess with my 14 year old daughter. I sounds a bit more adventourous than the excursion described today in that the kayaking portion rounded the point of the island. We paddled into the ocean through much bigger waves and had to pass through certain rock formations in single file. We had a blast, and I should say that I am not particularly athletic.

After the hike and kayak portion, a fruit and beverage set up was available on the beach. We were given the option of staying behind and given a ride to the "golden zone" on a small boat. We rescued some jet skiiers whose craft was disabled and were dropped on the beach in front of a nice hotel. We washed off and walked through the lobby to the very unappealing shopping district. There it was easy to find an open air taxi back to the ship.
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Passenger

Thanks Mary. It sounds like your trip was adventerous and then some.
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Passenger

I might add that our tour was the only group on the island, so that was perhaps 30 people?

The island, at that time at least, was a protected isalnd, meaning no development whatsoever, no vendors either. Very special!
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Beginner

We took this tour 5 years ago. I guess since Mazatlan is not the most desirable destination, going to deer island is a nice break. I think my brochure described it a LOT differently than it really was. The tour was split into three parts. Kayaking, beach break with fruit (yum!) and the hike. I had never been kayaking before, and it was a lot of work, but fun. My DH still talks about how I just sat there and looked pretty while he did all the work. Yeah, I guess that is true.
The beach was ok, and the fruit was good. We went with friends, and they were afraid to touch any food made in Mexico, including bottles and cans, so they were nice and thirsty.
The hike was ok. It was REALLY hot in October and the hill was really steep, so make sure you have shoes, not flip-flops. The hill had a lot of dry Vegetation, and stickers. (for some reason I imagined there would be green grass, or trees and little streams) We live in the CA desert, and it really reminded me a lot of just hiking out at Joshua Tree National Park.

We didn't love the trip to Deer Island, so the next time we went to Mazatlan we chose to do something else. We ended up at a time share presentation. We had all the food we could eat and virgin Pina Coladas we could drink.(we don't drink alcohol, but they could have been the real thing if we did)
The time share was very nice, but we pretty much wasted the entire day. So out of 2 trips to Mazatlan, we still haven't fallen in love with the place.

Next time, we might just stay on the ship... nah, It has to have something good there. I'm sure of it, we just need to look harder.

BTW, our waiter suggested we go to the El Cid hotel and hang out at the pool there. We didn't but maybe we will next time.

Happy Sailing

Starr
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Starr, sounds like you have had some bad luck in Mazatlan.

Hope these tips get to you, but here are two sure bets:

* In the terminal, you can do a city tour thru Marlin Tours in an open trolley style bus for $15 ... takes you to all the viewpoints and sights. Great value.

* Randi's Happy Horses is great. My sister just did the tour and loved it. $45 per adult. www.randishappyhorses.com

You are probably too tight on time to book a private tour with Frank, but he's always great too for the Colonial Villages tour (which I took with him)

Try Mazatlan again ... I like it much more now.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!