Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Passenger

Default Which Mayan ruins?

Our NCL cruise takes us to four stops with Mayan ruins... I want to see the best one or two. Recommendations or comparisons? Chacchoben, Kohunlich(Costa Maya), Quirigua(Guatemala), Altun Ha and Xanantunich (Belize) or Tulum (Cozumel). Where can we actually climb up? Also, any other opinions on excursions at those stops?
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM
First Mate

I have only been to Tulum and Altun Ha, and By far Altun Ha is the best of the two. They do allow you to climb them there.
Tulum is nicer as far as the area it is in, but I enjoyed being able to actully stand on top and see the views.
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Passenger

thanks for the info. I thought the same about Tulum just from looking at the photos... beautiful scenery but I have been to the pyramids near Mexico City so it didn't look like much. The NCL tulum excurcion is already booked so we either have to pursue it on our own or see ruins at the other three stops. Thanks again!!
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Passenger

We just returned from a trip on the NCL Dream and went to the Lamani Ruins from Belize. We took the ship excursion up the New River by boat (great trip!) and then saw the ruins. I believe our guide said these are the only ruins in Belize that you can still climb. My teenaged son was the only one who went all the way to the top and he brought back great photos. The steps to the top are narrow and steep and there is a rope to help you make the climb. People were coming down by sitting down and scooting on their backsides! I highly recommend the excursion - our guide was very knowledgeable and the trip up the river was fabulous.
Old March 19th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Passenger

Interesting. I am worried that we won't be able to climb the ruins. Belize is the port where we found we had so many options to choose from for excursions and we booked the Cave tubing. We are planning to go to Chacchoben in Costa Maya. I hope we can climb the ruins. Some literature I read said yes. We still haven't gotten a spot to Tulum yet. Anyone have any companies that were dependable? I'm curious what you thought about the Dream? That was our other choice but we could tell it was an older ship and heard comments that they had engine trouble. What ports did you see? Any helpful hints about Belize?? Thank you for responding!! Only five more days until we leave and I packed my suitcase today.
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Passenger

We loved the Dream, but it was our first cruise and have nothing to compare it to. The food was good and the service excellent. We really enjoyed the entertainment at night and the freestyle dining was convenient w/ a teenaged boy who is always hungry! I had read about the engine trouble, also, but there didn't seem to be any problems during the week. We visited Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. Belize City is really crowded, the streets not built for all the tourist traffic they now have. I wouldn't want to try and navigate it myself. It was a long tender into port because the port is so shallow. If you have booked an excursion through the ship you'll be on the first or second tender. Otherwise you may have to wait up to an hour. I hope you have a great trip!
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. I guess there are some advantage to booking excursions through the ship. Maybe we'll try the Dream next cruise... I heard good things about Roatan and Belize has so many interesting excursions available. I have a 14 year old son but he doesn't get to come on this cruise... it's Mom time this time!!