Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Passenger

Default Isla La Roqueta, Acapulco

Any one been to Isla La Roqueta, Acapulco?

Did you go one your own rather than via a shore excursion?

I understand that for $3 you can go to this little island in a glass bottom boat, the island overlooks Acapulco bay, enjoy the beach, relax, swim and get back to the ship in plenty of time.

Details?
Old March 19th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Passenger

hello, just returned from the mercury, and myself, my husband and two friends spent a day at roquetta island, ( spelling ? ) i have lots of info for you. It's very eway to do by yourself, we took an a/c van from the cruise ship terminal, cost 12 bucks for 4 of us, took a v w bug back, cost 5 bucks, ( you get what you pay for !! )Tokk about 15/ 20 minutes to get there. Then you take a glass bottomed boat, dont worry about finding one , they find you !, 3 bucks each, ( 10 minute ride ) across to the island.
The island , or should i say , beach area isn't as big as i thought it would be, and it was packed!!! This was apparently because we were there on a sunday, the locals only day off and they too enjoy going to the beach, i had lots of fun just watching the local children playing and having fun!!
We had to rent the chairs and table/ umbrella for the day( 5 or 8 dollars ?? ) ( they were a little tatty looking but did the job) Lots of food to be had, looked good, smelt great but we didnt risk eating there. ( we brought peanuts and chips etc off the boat. ( no problem at all, lots of people did it ) Theres vendorscoming by all day, selling trinkets , they dont hassle you though like some places.The beach itself it beautiful, but we only played in the water, there was a very strong pull from the waves, going up and down the beach about 75 ft, so it didnt make for good swimming , we didnt see anyone swim which is always a good indicater. the beach was very gradually sloping so this wasn't as bad as it may sound. and very sandy!! didnt use the bathrooms all day so i cant tell you what they were like. Beer was 2.50 a bottle ( pricy ) we paid one dollar elswhere. Would i go back ? yes, my only surprise with the whole day was the old beatup chairs, etc, which is really no biggie, i hope you go, enjoy it . ( Acapulco is huge!!! dont let that scare you, everyone was really friendlY!!
Old March 19th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Passenger

Default Many Thanks

Yay

I really appreciate your reply, especially from a fellow Mercury cruiser.

I think we will indeed go to the island (beach) based on your feedback.

I do want to go snorking, is there any to be done on the island?

~Mike
PS: Norovirus on your cruise (scary!!!!)
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Passenger

hi mike, yes you can snorkle there, we saw people go in from shore as well as boat tours dropping anchor just off shore, i think you jsut might need to be more capable in the water than i am. It really is easy to do thses things without paying the ship the extra, but either way, i think would be ok, the ship tours are more money , but then you get the added info from the tour guides which is nice. If you go by yourselves, i reccommend you try and find an english speaking cab driver, we didnt at one spot and it made it that much more difficult, ( in retrospect, this seems like a no brainer !! )