CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Mexico (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/)
-   -   Mexican Riviera Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/312429-mexican-riviera-cruising.html)

kennygeorge April 14th, 2006 06:01 PM

Mexican Riviera Cruising

My wife and I are veterens of Caribbean crusing but have
never cruised the Mexican Riviera.

She is afraid it would be boaring to her.

I tend to disagree.

Someone, please fill me in on the Mexican Riviera and compare
and contrast with the Caribbean if possible.

Thanks!

KennyG

Rev22:17 April 15th, 2006 12:54 AM

Kenny,

My wife and I are veterens of Caribbean crusing but have
never cruised the Mexican Riviera.

She is afraid it would be boaring to her.

I tend to disagree.

Someone, please fill me in on the Mexican Riviera and compare
and contrast with the Caribbean if possible.

If you like the Caribbean, you probably also will like the Mexican Riviera.

>> There are a lot of watersports -- swimming, snorkeling, diving, whale watches, fishing excursions, etc.

>> Most of the ports of call do have championship golf courses.

>> Every port of call has its own unique cultural influences and attractions.

>> There are some wonderful shopping opportunities.

>> Currency conversion is very easy (ten cents to the peso or ten pesos to the dollar), and currency exchange is unnecessary because all of the merchants accept greenbacks.

In short, give it a try!

BTW, you might also consider a "full transit" Panama Canal cruises as a "compromise." These cruises typically operate between Fort Lauderdale and either San Diego or Los Angeles, so they have some ports of call in the Caribbean and some ports of call along the Mexican Riviera.

Norm.

Michigan Tracy April 16th, 2006 02:37 PM

Mexican Riviera

We were very skeptical ourselves after having sailed the carribbean four times prior to our Mexican Riviera cruise. We found out that we loved it just as much. Pretty much have the same options as the carribbean. The one thing we didn't do on this trip that we have always done in the carribbean was snorkle. We did go on the zip line tour in PV and had the thrill of a lifetime. Walking along the Malecon is wonderful. Went shopping and to the beach in Mazatlan and ate great mexican food. In Cabo we went shopping and headed to Cabo Wabo where I had the best margarita in my life. This was our favorite port and we spent the least amount of time there. Other than pre-booking the zip line tour we just went with the flow and found that to be very relaxing for both of us. Go for it you will have fun :D

kcannava April 20th, 2006 02:53 PM

We are from NJ and thought hey lets give it a try. mexico is very nice but the people are poor and swarm like bees. They all want to sell thier junk. Silver, blankets, hats, toys, food and yes drugs. PV is the worst we found and left very disappointed after we were turned awat from Los Veranos Canopy Tour. They tend to over book and you may be turned away. :cry:

kmm44 August 9th, 2006 10:46 PM

I don't think any itinerary would be boring if you haven't been there yet. We would be bored going to the same places over and over and we've met people on cruises that do just that.
We are cruising Mercury to the Mex. Riv. 1/29 and I am really excited about it, especially since my husband is the one who insisted on it. He's the one whose arm I had to twist to go to Alaska and N. Europe, not because he didn't want to go, but because of the extra $$ .
While on Jewel in June he heard total strangers raving about Mexico and Aus/NZ and now he says we have to do those cruises. I wasted no time booking the January cruise less than a month after we got back.
One of the attractions of the Mexican Riv. is its relatively cheaper cost compared to Alaska and Europe. Of course, Aus/NZ is another story, but hey, people on Jewel said it was a "must do", so who am I to argue? :D
We were going to do the Med next summer but our friends who were going to go with us have had to postpone and we are waiting till they are ready. We didn't want to go into cruise withdrawal, so booked the Mex. Riv. to tide us over. ;)
Now I am thinking if DH is so gung ho on Mex. and Aus/NZ, maybe he won't quibble over doing S. America. We are in our 60's and I just keep thinking, "So many cruises, so little time", lol.
I checked out the list of excursions offered for our cruise and have pretty much decided on what we will book. We may be included on a private tour in Acapulco. A man who lives near us started a roll call thread on CC and he said he had room for 2 more, but I haven't heard confirmation on that.
Check out the available excursions for your own proposed cruise and show DW that she won't be bored. Plus, depending on the ship, there should be plenty of fun activities to keep you both busy. As you can see from the list below we stick to RCI and Celebrity. We are NEVER bored.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London
1/29 Mercury Mexican Riviera
Cruises we will eventually do:
Mercury to Aus/NZ; Galaxy to Med + land tour to Italy