Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Beginner

Default Cozumel and Progresso excursion advice?

Hubby and I have taken one other cruise and are looking forward to our first Carnival cruise at the end of May (Ecstasy). We're overwhelmed by the options when it comes to excursions. I'd love to hear the advice of experienced cruisers.

I'm not adverse to shopping, but I don't like kitschy souvenirs. Should we skip shopping? Or where should we go? (We have friends who enjoy a nice cigar. Is this a good itinerary for picking up cigars they'll enjoy and can't find at home?)

Just hanging out on a gorgeous beach also sounds good (we loved Disney's Castaway Cay). Should we go for the beach club excursions? Is it faster/just as easy to grab a cab to a beach club?

We've even toyed with the idea of just staying onboard. Would we kick ourselves? Are Progresso/Merida and Cozumel not to be missed?

I'm also a bit worried about the fact that we're only in port for 8 hours, so I'd want to be absolutely sure we could get to/from the ship in good time.

We're not adverse to hopping a cab ourselves, if we have a little guidance.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

J
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Beginner

We just finished a cruise on Norwegian Majesty and spent the day at San Francisco Beach Break. What a fantastic surprise. I found the package doing a search for Cozumel Beach Breaks and booked with a company called Island Marketing. They have Live Help on the site and the young lady I spoke with was very helpful and informative and sold me on the tour.
Getting to the club was easy. Grabbed a cab from the port as we were instructed to do, and it took about 15 mins to get there. We paid in usd about $15usd. Our waiter at the club "Wilbur" was wonderful. The package was $40usd and we had reserved seating an umbrella, a free bar all day and a great lunch. I had the Cheeseburger and my wife had the Fajitas. Both good! The colc Corona bottles kept coming all day and we just kicked back and enjoyed the day. I was leary booking independent of NCL but very pleased that I did. We tipped Wilbert about $20usd at the end of the day because he really made our stay special. I met the lady who ran the club. Her name was Deliliah or something like that and told her I would spread the news. As an idependent tour it was a pleasant surprise. The pool was nice, but we did not use it!I recomend this beach break for anyone looking for a relaxing day on the beach. When your get to the Club say hi to Wilbert! Have fun.
cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelSanFranciscoBeachBreak.htm
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Passenger

we went there too and loved San Fransisco!!!

I think the link is San Fransisco All Inclusive beach Club
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Beginner

Thanks, all, for the tips.

J
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Jen,

Hubby and I have taken one other cruise and are looking forward to our first Carnival cruise at the end of May (Ecstasy). We're overwhelmed by the options when it comes to excursions. I'd love to hear the advice of experienced cruisers.

I'm not adverse to shopping, but I don't like kitschy souvenirs. Should we skip shopping? Or where should we go? (We have friends who enjoy a nice cigar. Is this a good itinerary for picking up cigars they'll enjoy and can't find at home?)

Just hanging out on a gorgeous beach also sounds good (we loved Disney's Castaway Cay). Should we go for the beach club excursions? Is it faster/just as easy to grab a cab to a beach club?

We've even toyed with the idea of just staying onboard. Would we kick ourselves? Are Progresso/Merida and Cozumel not to be missed?

I'm also a bit worried about the fact that we're only in port for 8 hours, so I'd want to be absolutely sure we could get to/from the ship in good time.

We're not adverse to hopping a cab ourselves, if we have a little guidance.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Like many Caribbean islands, Cozumel presents some unique opportunities. I highly recommend the shore excursion to Tulum. The Mayan ruins there are quite extensive and very interesting, so the excurson is well worth the price.

Be sure to bring a full liter of water for each person in your party and drink from it frequenty wile touring the ruins to prevent dehydration.

I have also heard from several sources that the archeo-ecological park at Ex Caret is another fantastic shore excursion that's well worth the price. I have not been there so I'll refrain from making a recommendation one way or the other.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Captain

There are a variety of things to do in Cozumel from snorkelling to ruins to beach bumming. You can find lots of info on this site about particular Cozumel beaches and tours. Narrow down what you'd like to do and I'm sure somebody will pitch in with But in Progresso I'd highly suggest the tour to Chitzinitchin (I'm sure that's not spelled right). The ruins there are terrific. It is a 2 hour or so drive but we had a nice english speaking tour guide who gave us lots of info on the way up and answered questions. The tour was about 2 hours of so and then back on the bus. We had a brown bag lunch on the ride home and most people kicked back and took a nice nap. Great tour, I highly recommend it. At the pier itself there are a few shops but you are waaaay out on a peninsula/pier so these little shops are ALL there is. The last time we were there we simply sat on the little man made beach (no swimming, just a sandy area for playing volleyball or sunning) drank $2 Coronas and watched the world drift by.
If you like good leather goods, there's a terrific shop there. (There's one in Cozumel too - same company). They had fabulous boots, purses, belts, you name it - they had it in leathers you've never even thought of.
IF nothing else, the place smells great!
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Passenger

Jen,
My wife and I are taking our first cruise in October aboard Ecstasy. Please post some feedback when you return from your trip.

Happy sailing,
Phil
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:09 AM
First Mate

Phil, I think you are going to really enjoy your cruise. I have sailed the Ecstasy twice with two different itineraries.
The ship itself is a real treat, not real confusing to get around on, and it has a wonderful staff. The ports she visits now are to me, very different from each other.
Progresso is new to the cruise industry. The peir is the longest I have ever docked at. It is too far to walk to shore, at least for me.
We rented a car and drove in to Meridia. The city is very busy and there are many things to see there. Downtown has some very old churches and a museum or two.
The beach at Progresso is not much better than Galveston. The area of town around the beach has shops bars and the usual eateries. Not a bad port, but not one of my favorites.
Cozumel is a wonderful port even after the hurricane damage. I have explored many areas there and have done many of the excursions. Not sure what you are looking to do, but you should find it there.
If you want specific suggestions or comments regarding an excursion, you may e-mail me or ask on this thread.
Bottom line, you really should have a great cruise. Enjoy the Ecstasy, she is a fine ship.
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Passenger

Jeff,
Thanks so much for the info. We are excited, but also a pair of nervous nellies since this is something totally new for us. I had wondered about Progresso since it is a relatively new port.

I do appreciate your taking time to write.
Phil
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Welcome Newcomer

The Progresso Pier is the longest in the world! 5 miles!
When you get off your ship, there will be free transportation so you dont have to worry about walking.
To the left of the pier, is the beach that many visitors like to go.
The bus will drop you off right by some little shops. If you walk through
the shops and take a left you will run into Corona Beach. Free Beach,
$1 Coronas (yup, One dollar!), places to eat, nice chairs....

San Fransisco Beach is a great place to go. Many of the beaches lost a lot of sand during Wilma so there isn't a lot of beach front. S/F is not one of them. Reserve your spot on-line as it is only $40.
Paradise Beach (right next door to S/F) is another good place to go.
Free beach. $8 for all their water activities. $35 per person for a 2 hour snorkel tour that leaves from a pier at Paradise Beach.
......... San Fransisco and Paradise are right next to each other. You could do both. Reserve your chairs, umbrella, food and drinks at S/F , reserve a snorkel tour with Paradise and walk back and forth.

Enjoy!