Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:24 PM
Passenger

Default Princess vs Carnival vs Norwegian

I'm planning a mexican riviera cruise next March with my daughter. We've sailed to Western Carribean on RCCL voyager. We've sailed to Alaska on Celebrity. I'm trying to decide between Princess out of LAX, Carnival Pride out of Long Beach or Norwegian Star out of LAX. If I've sailed RCCL and Celebrity will I be disappointed in Norwegian? I don't mind casual atmosphere and people having fun but am not into the party scene myself. Truthfully, I'm leaning towards Carnival just because I won't have to fly into LAX and have that hassle. Any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Passenger

Hi beachlovers

You might have better luck getting an answer if you posted on the Princess, Carnival, or Norwegian threads.

Hopefully someone can help you out with some comparisons of the lines.

Sorry, I can only compare Celebrity, Princess and a line that no longer exists. Otherwise, I'd help you out.

Good luck, though, getting someone out there to respond.

Regardless, enjoy your Mex Riv cruise. I am booked on the Mercury December 2006!
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Out of LAX?

Hi! I'm not sure I understand why you feel you'd need to fly into LAX for a Princess cruise. Princess cruises out of San Pedro, which is 10 driving miles from Long Beach. When cruising out of either of those ports, you have the option of flying into Long Beach or John Wayne (Orange County) as well as LAX.

Shar
Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:44 AM
Admiral

beachlovers,

I'm planning a mexican riviera cruise next March with my daughter. We've sailed to Western Carribean on RCCL voyager. We've sailed to Alaska on Celebrity. I'm trying to decide between Princess out of LAX, Carnival Pride out of Long Beach or Norwegian Star out of LAX. If I've sailed RCCL and Celebrity will I be disappointed in Norwegian? I don't mind casual atmosphere and people having fun but am not into the party scene myself. Truthfully, I'm leaning towards Carnival just because I won't have to fly into LAX and have that hassle. Any suggestions

It's true -- the Port of Los Angeles is in a section of the city known as San Pedro, which is right next to Long Beach. There's a thin strip of land along the Harbor Freeway that links San Pedro to the rest of the city, but Long Beach's airport is much closer to the port than Los Angeles International. Whether each cruise line offers transfers to Long Beach's airport or not is another matter. Some cruise lines don't operate transfers to Long Beach because it has a lot fewer flights than Los Angeles International.

That said, I would recommend sticking with Royal Caribbean International unless you were dissatisfied with their product. My sources indicate that Royal Caribbean International is now competititive with Princess Cruises and superior to both Carnival Cruises and Norwegian Cruise Line.

Norm.
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Admiral

My advice is take the Princess cruise. More elegant, great reviews, not a loud party atmosphere that is on Carnival. I've heard the Pride is quite a party ship. Carnival attracts more familys with kids and singles. Princess is supposed to be quieter with excellent service and movies at sea.

I do like one feature Carnival has that the others don't offer. Self serve laundry mats. I like to wash a load of clothes so I have clean stuff to wear, don't like to wear things twice.
Old September 24th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Captain

How old at heart are you and your daughter. I have sailed on all three of these lines to the Mexican Riviera. They all had different things that I loved most about each. Carnival is just the most laid back. Princess was the more elegant and a very nice balcony cabin. Our 18 year old daughter was with us and she said the people were just "too old". We went in January. The NCL Star was the most relaxing cruise. No rush for a dinner seating, etc. Although you also had this option on Princess. In addition, we had a mini suite, which was very nice. We absolutely loved them all and will cruise on each of them again. The decision will be made, based on cabin type, date and price. Hope this helps.
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old September 29th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Passenger

Default Princess vs Carnival or NCL

We have done Princess twice, Celebrity twice, and Carnival once to Mexico but not NCL. If you want a more elegant cruise with great shows go with Princess. True, Carnival is more of a party cruise but it all depends on what you want. When any cruise is over 7 days you tend to get an older crowd.
Any way you cut it, a week or more relaxing on a ship ore a beach beats sitting at home with winter staring us in the face. We are off to Mexico on the Mercury on Oct. 30th. Can't wait.

Mike
Old September 29th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

we did Princess from San Francisco and it was very good. I would steer clear of NCL the food is not very good.
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Admiral

showcat,

I do like one feature Carnival has that the others don't offer. Self serve laundry mats.

Princess's ships also have self-service laundry facilities.

I like to wash a load of clothes so I have clean stuff to wear, don't like to wear things twice.

I agree with your sentiments about not wearing things twice, but I usually bring enough clothes so I don't have to spend part of my vacation doing laundry.

Norm.