Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM
First Mate

Default Flight into LAX, embarking Long Beach, Questions?

8)
We are looking into flying into Los Angeles International and then
embarking the Carnival Pride at the Long Beach Port. How far
is the airport from the sea port? Are these air/sea ports difficult
to arrive, travel to, depart from??? The Mexican Riveria is our
destination. Any comments on this ship or cruise? Any and all
advise would be appreciated.
Happy Sailing.........
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Cruisingbears,

We are looking into flying into Los Angeles International and then
embarking the Carnival Pride at the Long Beach Port. How far
is the airport from the sea port?

The airport is about an hour by vehicle from the Long Beach seaport, depending upon traffic. One might make the drive in half that time at a time the Marines would call "oh dark thirty" when there's no traffic, but I would not count on it during normal waking hours. Your cruise line's transfer package is the most seamless way to travel between the airport to the pier if you arrive on embarkation day and/or departing on disembarkation day.

Are these air/sea ports difficult
to arrive, travel to, depart from???

Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is one of the easiest major airports for arrivals and departure because it has many small terminals rather than one big terminal. Most major airlines occupy one terminal, with their commuter affiliates and major partners, though some terminals are shared and some airlines have two adjacent, but interconnected, terminals. It's also pretty easy to walk from terminal to terminal if you end up in the wrong place.

I'm not familiar with Carnival Corporation's cruise terminal in Long Beach. My cruises from Los Angeles have departed from the Los Angeles Cruise Terminal in San Pedro, just to the west of Long Beach.

The Mexican Riveria is our
destination. Any comments on this ship or cruise?

I don't know your itinerary, so I'll run down the major ports on the Mexican Riviera from north to south.

>> Cabo San Lucas: Great port for boating and fantastic beaches. Be sure to take a shore excursion that includes a boat trip to "Los Arcos" ("The Arches") at "Land's End." There's also a decent "flea market" right at the end of the tender pier.

>> Mazatlan: The tour of the city's highlights that includes the show by the "Pampatla Fliers" is worthwhile. The flea market next to the cruise ship terminal is also decent.

>> Puerto Vallarta: Again, the tour of the city's highlights is worthwhile. The tour called "Tequilla Factories and Beach" is also very good. Princess offers this tour but Celebrity does not. I don't know about Carnival.

>> Manzanillo: This commercial port seems to have few attractions. The best bet is a shore excursion to an all-inclusive beach resort located either on the north side or on the south side of the city.

>> Zihuatanejo: This is an authentic Mexican fishing village, and you'll see the fishermen landing their catch and servicing their gear if you walk along the waterfront around midmorning. There are some decent beach and snorkeling excursions. For the best shopping on the Mexican Riviera, go to the end of the tender pier and turn right. This is the city's major shopping district, where the locals do their shopping.

>> Acapulco: There are a couple worthwhile tours of the city's highlights, one of which goes to the magnificent Acapulco Fairmont Princess Hotel. The historic fort, now a museum, is also worthwhile.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were with a Cruisemates group on the Pride. You can go to the Photo Gallery and search for SharB. Under my listing, check out the photos with Pride in the title.

We really enjoyed the ship, although it was a little glitsy for my taste. Food was really good and the room was super nice. A lot of the staff acted a bit uninformed. Got different answers from different staff.

Shows were good, but not excellent. Any specific questions?

Shar