CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Mexico (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/)
-   -   Eating food in Mexico (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/319998-eating-food-mexico.html)

showcat September 1st, 2006 05:48 AM

Eating food in Mexico

Ok I have a couple tours booked in Mexico and meals are included, 2 tours are with the ship, one is private do I need to worry about Montezumas Revenge with a Carnival tour which includes food or with a tour to a Resort hotel? How does one avoid getting sick here if one eats off the ship?

kitty2 September 1st, 2006 01:29 PM

Most restaraunts are pretty safe to eat in ...drink bottled water and don't eat from street vendors if you are scared of getting sick.

Be sure to carry immodium just incase!

You can get sick anywhere not just Mexico

Rev22:17 September 1st, 2006 02:53 PM

showcat,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Ok I have a couple tours booked in Mexico and meals are included, 2 tours are with the ship, one is private do I need to worry about Montezumas Revenge with a Carnival tour which includes food or with a tour to a Resort hotel? How does one avoid getting sick here if one eats off the ship?

Drink plenty of tequilla. It will kill anything that might harm you! ;-)

Seriously, the major cruise lines check out the restaurants on their tours pretty thoroughly to ensure that they use purified water. Likewise, the resorts that cater to American tourists have pruified water. The real danger is if you walk into a local restaurant on your own.

I should also mention that the Mexican government has been working to provide good drinking water in tourist areas as part of an effort to develop the tourist industry. Most of the restaurants in most of the ports of call on the Mexican Riviera are now safe as a result of this effort.

Norm.

Chuck Palm September 1st, 2006 06:44 PM

David and I go to Mexico often. We have two retired doctor friends that live in Puerto Vallarta. Here are their suggestions which we have had very good luck following:

> Get a five day or six day prescription for "Cipro" from your doctor and keep it in your suitcase just in case of severe nausea and/or diarreah. Begin taking this medicine when symptoms begin. Continue taking pills twice daily until the five or six day course is finished. You will feel much better 24 hours after you begin taking this antibiotic..

Cipro is also available over the counter in Mexico and is packaged as Ciprocina. The generic name is Ciprophloxocin.

> As a preventative, take 2 Pepto Bismo tablets prophylactically each morning before going ashore. We have followed this suggestion and NEVER had a problem, remembering that we are often in Mexico about a Month or so each year. We eat in all restaurants that appear clean and do not avoid any kinds of foods. We do drink bottled water but also brush our teeth with the local water.

Don't worry. You will have a great time!

Janice Marie September 7th, 2006 10:52 PM

Also, be sure to pack travel-sized hand sanitizer.

jeana October 14th, 2006 02:31 PM

You can't go to Mexico and not eat there -- it would be like, a cardinal sin (at least)... :wink:

alohaoleon December 1st, 2006 12:44 PM

JUST GOT BACK ON NOV 30TH

I highly recommend El Adela in Playa Del Carmen...great food!!!

Landlubber December 3rd, 2006 06:33 PM

If you don't eat food ,what are the alternatives?

jeana December 3rd, 2006 06:35 PM

Lots of tequila...

Rev22:17 December 3rd, 2006 11:05 PM

Landlubber,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
If you don't eat food ,what are the alternatives?

You can eat aboard the ship rather than ashore.

Norm.

Landlubber December 5th, 2006 11:59 AM

I think I like Jeanna's option better.

new22003 December 14th, 2006 05:52 PM

I have never had problems with the food in Mexico and we never eat at the touristy places. We drive the back streets and pick the place that has the most locals/fewest gringos dining. On our last trip to Cozumel we stopped and bought a whole roasted chicken for $5 from a guy several blocks back from the waterfront area. It looked like a dive but the chicken smelled and looked delicious. We then bought some drinks and sides at the grocery store and had a picnic. It was the best meal of the whole trip. The chicken was absolutely amazing. It was fresh and fully cooked. As a bonus the food is also cheaper and you are likely making a bigger difference in a local person’s life.

I don’t have an “iron gut? either. My family always jokes that I’m the one that has a sensitive stomach. I am 30 and have had food poisoning 3 times in the U.S. since I was 20. I mean the full blown; vomit blood, lose 15 pounds in 2 days kind of food poisoning (from subway, long john silvers, and a non chain restaurant).

The strange thing is I have only had it once when traveling/living abroad and we do a large amount of traveling. We lived in S.E. Asia (Singapore, Malaysia) for several years and still make frequent trips to and from for business. Again while living there I eat almost exclusively at the hawker stalls (street vendors) without problems. Many other Expatriates only ate at “nice? restaurants though. I think sometimes the problem is more psychological than physiological. You may not find many of the places in Mexico aesthetically pleasing, but then again many restaurant kitchens in America are also horrible you just don’t see them.

While in Mexico it is good to only drink bottled water or sodas though. The water usually won’t put the hurt on you the way food poisoning will but it can make your very unpleasant. Avoid foods that are cooked with a lot of water as well.