Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Beginner

Default Cozumel Beach?

We are going on the Miracle in October and were going to go to the Chankanaab Park. Hoewever I have read that people were not happy with the price considering that a lot of the park has not reopened. We want to take a taxi to a beach. Has anyone been to Cozumel recently and can recommend a beach to taxi to?
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:58 PM
cozumelcruising

Hi there, San Francisco Beach or Paradise BEach are certainly good choices. In case you like it on your own, check out the other side of Cozumel, however be attentive while swimming, there are currents.

for more beach info you may check my profile...

Good luck!
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Passenger

We were at Cozumel last February. We went to Playa Mia which I think use to be called Playa de Sol before the hurricane last year.

There were 6 of us so we ended up renting a minivan from Executive. When we rented the minivan they gave us coupon to get into Playa Mia for $3 per person. This was a great deal for the 6 of us. Playa Mia charges $14 per person regularly for their basic entry fee and the cruise ship wanted to charge us $29 and we'd have to take a taxi there. This fee includes the use of the beach and all non-motorized sports. The kids had a blast - there was a water trampoline, rock climbing, paddle boats, kayaks, snorkeling (rental equipment extra), kids activities.

Rental equipment inside Playa Mia was a rip-off $12. We bought it at vendors outside for $9. You can pay more for admission and have unlimited drinks and food (I think it was around $40 at the gate - Carnival wanted to charge about $75 which also included your transportation to and from.)
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Admiral

We also went to Playa Mia in July. The beach was very nice, water was clean and beautiful. They have those awful molded plastic lounge chairs that you can't get out of once you sit down but the rest of the area was very nice. They had a buffet lunch available at a nominal cost and also had a la carte items you can order. They also had a pool next to the Tiki bar. All the beaches in Cozumel still have a lot of clean-up to do from last year's hurricanes. As far as going with children, the only reason I don't like Chankanaab is because you have to climb down very slippery rock steps to get into the water (except for a small kiddie area). There is no gradual beach walk-in into the water. And, once you're in the water, it's deep, therefore, I don't think it's a good beach to bring someone that is hesitant about their swimming abilities.
Old October 31st, 2006, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Paradise Beach is a $12 - $14 taxi ride one way for 4 people. And taxis are like sand...they are everywhere all the time!!

Paradise Beach has clean restrooms and showers. The lounge chairs, tables and umbrellas are free. All they ask is that you drink and/or eat something while you are there. They have an optional wristband for $9 to use all their non-motorized toys....kayaks, iceberg, floats, water trampoline, snorkel equipment ( a $10 deposit will be refunded when equipment is returned) and life vests for those guests who required them.

Our family of 4 have been there many times. They have great food and drinks. All of which are perfectly safe. They use the purified water in their ice. In the past, our oldest son is the only one that has gotten the wristband (since he was the only one into all that stuff). Our youngest just played in the sand and the waves (NO wristband required) and hubby and I just sit in the shade!! We are headed back in December and both boys will be getting wristbands this time because the youngest has decided he wants to do some more water sports stuff.

Beach snorkeling is not that great in Cozumel. However, Paradise Beach does have a catamaran snorkel trip that leaves at 12:30pm every day (there are some black out dates so check with Paradise Tom) and lasts for 2 hours. It leaves from the dock there at Paradise Beach and brings you back there. It is $35.00 a person including equipment. It takes you to 2 separate sites that have good snorkeling.

We were on the Miracle this month and had a wonderful time on the ships and at the ports.

Have a great cruise!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old November 2nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

lhp - thanks for this info...
I just posted a new topic about this in the destination section and then found this thread. Looks like Paradise Beach is a good option. One question...one of the folks in the group is a vegetarian...I know you said that it had good food, we just want to be sure that there are options for her.

Adventure-12/03 S.Carib;Explorer-12/04 W.Carib;Jewel-12/05 W.Carib;Serenade-7/06 Alaska;Rhapsody-12/06 E.Carib;Adventure-12/07 S.Carib;Radiance-10/08 Pan.Canal;Splendour-8/09 Greece;Oasis-8/10 W.Carib;Navigator-12/10 W. Carib;Liberty-2/11 W.Carib;Mariner-6/11 Med.;Brilliance-2/13 E.Carib.
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachlarry
I just posted a new topic about this in the destination section and then found this thread. Looks like Paradise Beach is a good option. One question...one of the folks in the group is a vegetarian...I know you said that it had good food, we just want to be sure that there are options for her.
I had to stop and think because I don't know a lot about how restrictive the vegetarian diet is. I know that there are some who are "vegans" who don't eat anything that even comes from an animal...so cheese nachos would be out. If you google "Paradise Beach" +Cozumel, you will get a very helpful website. You can email Tom (the manager) specific questions and he will answer them promptly. That why there are no surprises.

I believe they have bean nachos but even some of those bean dishes are "cooked" with animal fat. So it would be best to ask Tom directly!!

If I find out anything else, I will post it.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachlarry
We have been to paradise Beach several times and have enjoyed it. Cannot comment on your friend as Pop eats meat.
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Familiar Face

is this beach the same as the 'adventure park' that I see advertised? That one looks like it has more climbing for older kids (i have a 17 year old son who loves that kind of stuff). Please advise. Thank you - Ilene
Old January 9th, 2007, 06:44 PM
First Mate

PLAY MIA, PASSION ISLAND, PARADISE BEACH ARE THEY QUIET OR WAVE BEACHES. SOUNDS LIKE IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO BOOK CRUISE TOURS TO ENJOY THESE BEACHES