Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Passenger

Default what to do in costa maya?

I've gotten a lot of contradictory info about the maya palms resort? some people have reported its wonderful, others, not so much. is it worth spending the day? im concerned this is also where the beach break ship excursion takes place, and, a stated in my other post, my wife and I would rather avoid crowds. would it be better to just bum around mahahual on our own. are there any beaches there? is there enough to make a day of it? I read a post making reference to a bar I believe to be called the "cat's meow". and, has anyone done the chacchoben ruins tour with Ivan and David?
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:04 AM
cozumelcruising

Hi, the Maya Resort I do not know, but for what you may look for, just take a cab at the cruise terminal (there you may only find shops, couple of bars and restaurants and swimming pools, that is it), drive to Mahahual village (5 min) and stroll along the "main avenue" (you will see it is small!) along great activities sucha s snorkel tours, parasail, jet ski etc, or continue and find yourselfes a nice quiet spot..this is certainly not Miami beach. (P.S. Cozumel's east side has miles of virgin beaches with nobody).
Chacchoben is awesome, as is Kohunlich, two great places to visit (there is also Oxtankah). Incredible Mayan Ruins, very different from each other and others in the region...worth it! Kohunlich 6hrs, Chacchoben 4hrs all in all.

Saludos.....
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to deputy836 Send a message via Yahoo to deputy836

Hi. We go to Tequila Beach when in Costa Maya. There is a stand at the back of the port for excursion companies...look for Tequila Beach. they offer one price packages....drinks, trasportation, food, music, beach all for oneprice. They also have parasailing which we did...AWESOME...negotiate your prices...we did and saved about $30 p/p total. We walked along the beach to Mahajual...was ok...pushy vendors...lots of shopping...the Costa Maya port is very nice also.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:59 AM
Admiral

The ruins were fun and different.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Carnival Valor 13 May 07

COSTA MAYA : ( dock) This is an attractive tourist village created out of thin air for cruise passengers.
There I took a tour out to Kohunlich Mayan Ruins and was very much impressed with the site. This is the fifth Mayan city that I have toured and felt it to be under-rated. The temple of the mask is most impressive in that the facade dates from around 500 AD and has retained much of the original red color. The acropolis offers some great views as well. We were offered a boxed lunch which I found tasty.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:31 PM
cozumelcruising

In costa Maya or Mahajua the Mayan Ruins of Chacchobben and Kohunlich are very different in their architecture and setting from Tulum or Chichen Itza...well worth visiting! Good luck!
l
Old August 11th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozumelcruising
In costa Maya or Mahajua the Mayan Ruins of Chacchobben and Kohunlich are very different in their architecture and setting from Tulum or Chichen Itza...well worth visiting! Good luck!
l
I second the ruins. Hit them before the crowds ruin them like they have Tulum. Many days there is almost no one there. Very easy to get photos without people in them.
Old August 12th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to CM Rob
Default Mayan ruins at Chacchoben

Don't Miss a trip to the Mayan ruins at Chacchoben, in a jungle setting roughly an hour or so by motorcoach from the port, is an interesting and worthwhile outing. Chacchoben (the Mayan word for "red corn") dates back to around 350 A.D., but was largely unexplored until 1999, so its visitors are among the first. The site also houses a gift shop. Take the five-minute cab drive to Majahual, 80 residents strong, a quirky and eccentric fishing village with lots of character. The main "boulevard," a street of sand that runs between a pretty white beach and some concrete shacks on the other side, has now been made a pedestrian throughway. Though the shopping is standard at best (owners are persistent to sell typical cheap trinkets), the beach is clean -- and the water, protected by a reef, is very calm and shallow so it's a perfect place for families. You can also get beach massages ($20 for 45 minutes), and rent Jet Skis and kayaks.

Sea of Cortez - American Safari
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:30 PM
cozumelcruising

There is a new horseback riding tour on the Beach now as well...in addition to the Jungle-one...certainly fun. Ask your cruise line if they already offer it
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
cozumelcruising

Hi please take into consideration of my previous post in this forum about Costa Maya, there will be NO ships for a considerable amount of time in Costa Maya or Mahajual (the pier is "gone")...due to the unfortunate hit of Hurricane Dean at Cat. 5. No human victims related to the storms, thank god, but LOTS of damage..hope this info helps.