Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Passenger

Default Costa Maya Chacchoben Photos

For those stopping in Costa Maya and love Mayan there is lots to see. While many of the sites in mexico have gotten quite busy, the ones around costa maya are still mostly unspoiled. I’m very happy to say it’s very easy to explore both Chacchoben and Kohunlich. How long this will last is anyone’s guess. I would say do them now before Costa Maya explodes into a major destination.

Our last trip to Chacchoben was wonderful. There were only 3 busses in the parking lot, although there were 3 ships in port. Each bus had about 40 people in it. They take the groups on different routes so everyone isn’t in the same area at the same time. I have posted some photos at webshots and I have the link below. I will try and find my photos from Kohunlich and do the same. As you can see from the photos I have posted there is practically no one there. Out of the 40 photos I posted I believe only 1 or 2 have people in them. This wasn’t due to my positioning and I didn’t have to wait a long time for those shots. It just wasn’t that busy amazing to me considering the 3 large ships in port, close proximity to Costa Maya, and a nice not too hot day. We were there December 4th 2006.

Heres the photos, enjoy

http://community.webshots.com/album/556477430BtWiCm
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:10 PM
cozumelcruising

Hi, Kohunlich and Chacchobben are both great Mayan ruins, however to explore both on one day may be a hassle since they are situated in different directions from Mahahual, Chacchobben north and Kohunlich south. Chacchobben tours last approx. 4 hours and to Kohunlich 6 hours. Also take into consideration that if you do it with a taxi, a flat tyre on the way is not a great experience, there is nothing around...Kohunlich 2 hours driving each way and Chacchobben one hour. Hope this helps!
Old December 30th, 2006, 05:57 PM
First Mate

could you type the web address as a link-- I tried to locate it but could not--we are booked to go to Chacchobben in a few weeks on a ship's excursion Thanks
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Passenger

Old December 31st, 2006, 01:04 PM
First Mate

those were really great shots--amazed that no people are in the pics---we were in NYC the other day & it was imposible to get any people free pics!
We have saved your link in case we are not so lucky on the day we go-- how was the trip otherwise? was there anything interesting along the way? Are there facilites/restrooms at the site?
Old January 1st, 2007, 04:20 PM
Captain

new22003,

Thanks for sharing your pictures!!

Libragirl (Mary)
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Passenger

Hi Hcat,

We too were amazed. If you have been to Tulum or Chichen Itza you know how bad it can be. I have been to numerous Mayan sites in Mexico, Angkor Wat and other temples in Cambodia, and Machu Picchu in Peru and all were packed with people. It’s almost impossible to get a good shot. I was very impressed with how few people were at Chacchoben. I don’t know how long this will last so I hope you can go as soon as possible.

As far as other things go:
The trip there wasn’t too exciting. It does give you and idea of how flat the land is which helps you when viewing the ruins. You see there are almost no natural hills or mounds. Then you realize almost every hill you see is a Mayan ruin. Seeing the contrast between level, flat land and small hills that stick up out of nowhere is something we found interesting. Even Chacchoben was a farmer’s field until a few years ago. Sadly several other ruins are still owned by the farmers and cows are walking all over them and destroying parts or the temples. The guide says the government is trying to buy as much of the land as possible but like many things in the area progress is slow. Hopefully the cruise money will contribute to the preservation of some of these sites.

At the site they have a one building of small size. This houses very large bathrooms, a store, and a snack bar. The snack bar had chips, cookies, soda, water and other basics at reasonable prices. Out front at push cart stands they had a guy selling home made ice cream and a young man selling fresh coconuts to drink. The ice cream was actually very good. Coconuts are expensive (for coconuts). The bathrooms are kept nice and its proper etiquette to tip the bathroom attendant a small amount.

Hi Libragirl,
Like my mom always said “It never hurts to share? glad you enjoyed them.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:01 AM
Admiral

We enjoyed the ruins also.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by new22003

The trip there wasn’t too exciting. At the site they have a one building of small size.
We have 15 yr old and 17 yr old boys--would they enjoy this trip? They are more inclined to running around than listening to a lecture.

Deb
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by new22003
Hi Hcat,

Even Chacchoben was a farmer’s field until a few years ago. Sadly several other ruins are still owned by the farmers and cows are walking all over them and destroying parts or the temples. The guide says the government is trying to buy as much of the land as possible but like many things in the area progress is slow. Hopefully the cruise money will contribute to the preservation of some of these sites.
What tour company did you use? Did you go through the ship?

We went through David and Ivan's Native Choice (www.chacchobenruins.com). Very impressive tour company, and Ivan said that the land had belonged to his dad. However, as he explained it, the government "repatriated" the land from his mother. He didn't go into more detail than that as to what they gave her for it, if anything.

Caribbean Hotel Reviews

Carnival Victory 2/07--Western Caribbean