Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:37 PM
First Mate

Default Cozumel

Good Morning Everyone,
I will be going to Cozueml for the first time this summer with 4 16 year olds. Is there a good beach within walking distance from the pier, and also a good place for them to shop? I need suggestions, as I am not familiar with Cozumel at all.

Thanks,
Kathy
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM
First Mate

Lots of shopping. We took a taxi about a mile away and shopped and ate and drank at Carlos and Charlies. Great time. Just ask a taxi to take you to a beach. Wear a cover up and have taxi stop at shopping on way back to ship. That way you don't have gifts to take on the beach. This is a Island that a tour is not necessary.
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cozumel

Kathy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I will be going to Cozueml for the first time this summer with 4 16 year olds. Is there a good beach within walking distance from the pier, and also a good place for them to shop? I need suggestions, as I am not familiar with Cozumel at all.
Yes, you can find plenty of good beaches and plenty of shopping on the island of Cozumel, but you'll find penty of good beaches and plenty of shopping throughout the Caribbean. When you stop at Cozumel, I recommend the ship's tour to the Mayan ruins at Tulum. I realize that this tour is not exactly inexpensive, but your teens will enjoy it and it will be a fabulous learning experience. Also, the gift shop at the ruins offers many souvenirs that you will not have encountered at the chain stores that now occupy prime real estate in every Caribbean and Alaskan port of call.

Or, if you really, really, must get wet, take the excursion to the Eco-archeological park at Ex Caret instead.

Both of these excursions are "all day" adventures with fairly complex transportation arrangements, so I strongly recommend using the ship's tours rather than trying to go to either of them on your own.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM
First Mate

what items are available at the gift shops at the ruins? the concept seems a bit incongruous at first!
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM
cozumelcruising

Hi, do not expect a nice sandy beach right near the cruise ship piers, however there are plenty of beaches available on the other side of the island (some restaurants available, not supervised, some current) or just ask the taxi driver to take you to one of the beach clubs in the south, 10-15 minutes away with all services, activities, rentals and a great sandy beach with little current and waves..enjoy!
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:58 AM
First Mate

Thanks for all the replies. I am tied between Playa Mia and Mr. Sancho. With 4 teen-agers, food included looks really good.

Have a great day,
Kathy
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Captain

I haven't been there, but I have heard that Paradise Beach is basically free, unless you want to rent some of the water toys, etc. for $8 a person. I have heard that as long as you order something to eat and drink, that you are allowed to sit there for hours. You might want to consider this. Also, I have been told that it costs $15 for a taxi to get there, and another $15 to get back to the ship.

Have a great time whatever you decide to do!!!

Libragirl
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:28 PM
cozumelcruising

If you do the Tulum with 16 year olds...maybe try to take the combo Tulum Xel-ha NAtural Water Park, so after some culture, they get to have some snorkel, swim and much other fun. Xcaret is awesome for both type of activities. Playa Mia, Sanchos, Paradise Beach and San Francisco are certainly also the best options for beaches in Cozumel...Carlos and Charlies & Sr. Frogs...you may want to come back with them in 2 years...be better...good luck!
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Beginner

HI
I AM A SINGLE MOM AND I TOOK MY 12 YEAR OLD SON AND WE HAD A BLAST, ITS SAFE SO MANY SHOPS JUST RELAX GET OFF THE BOAT TAKE A FREE SHUTTLE TO DOWN TOWN ...WE HAD SO MUCH FUN WERE GOING IN MAY ON THE ECTASY
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Good choices are Playa Mia and X-Caret if you have enough time for the ferry to Playa del Carmen and a short bus ride.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
cozumelcruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by katluc
Thanks for all the replies. I am tied between Playa Mia and Mr. Sancho. With 4 teen-agers, food included looks really good.

Have a great day,
Kathy
Paradise Beach is ok as well, however Playa Mia may offers more activities and attractions and also has more infrastructure of quality and safety for teens especially...swimming pool, supervision, water toys, etc...