CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Mexico (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/)
-   -   Bad Idea or What? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/330624-bad-idea-what.html)

cajun girl March 26th, 2007 04:39 PM

Bad Idea or What?

Planing to rent a car and go it alone in Cozumel and drive around the whole island stopping here and there. Can speak only English. Does anyone have any experience with this. Anyone think this is a bad idea? If so why? Thanks! I leave in 2 weeks :D

marvlgirl March 26th, 2007 11:30 PM

Honestly, yes that is a bad idea. First thing is you dont know the language. Second it is a foreign country, I actually think that some people dont realize that when travelling in Mexico bc some places in MX dont seem like it. Third the roads in MX are very unpredictable. There is not signage like there is in the states.

Also just to add to it, the Policia in Mexico are not kind. They do not mess around, if you get pulled over you need to be prepared to possibly go to jail. Which means you could miss the boat.

There are tons of guides when you get off the ship. Just rent one for the day, less hassle and a lot safer all around.

tami3333 March 27th, 2007 12:40 PM

we just took a taxi and then walked around.

cajun girl March 27th, 2007 01:06 PM

Well, I am feeling a little uncomfortable now -but it's already kind of booked. So if anyone has some pointers to keep us out of trouble I'm def all ears! Maybe I should invest in a lttle translation book :?: And understand some of the laws there. ??????

cozumelcruising April 12th, 2007 02:08 PM

Hi...no trouble with common sense. Cozumel is unlike Mexico, it is a very safe and controlled island with many years of tourism experience, everybody in Cozumel wants the tourists to have a great time. Almost everybody in tourist business also talks English, there is absolutely no problem if you do not speak Spanish. Cozumel is NOT dangerous, unless you are looking for it. The roads signals are pretty much ok, driving rules are simple but need to be respected. Police...only the tourist police will handle incidents with tourists, they speek English and their objective is to present a safe and welcoming island...no problems but of course if you have or cause an accident, you will face the consequences like everywhere else. They will not make you miss the ship (bad bad publicity)....long story short...safe, beautiful...use common sense also during vacations :)

cajun girl April 16th, 2007 10:07 AM

Well we just got back from our cruise and I must say that renting the jeep and going it on our own was the absolute best thing we could have done on the island! The other side of the island is so much more beautiful with the crashing waves on the beaches! We drove the entire island and stopped at almost every little resort/beach area. the down town are was so hot and crowded it was wonderful to get away from all of that. We must have put over 230 miles on the jeep that day. I would recommend this to anyone going there. We had no trouble at all and it was much cheaper than doing a ship excursion!

marvlgirl April 16th, 2007 05:25 PM

I am so happy to hear that everything went well! You just hear horror stories from people and honestly I have had one myself years ago. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful time!