Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:51 PM
First Mate

Default Playa Mia question

I went on carnival's site to book our excursion, and the 5.0 hour Playa Mia excursion is not there. I guess it is already full. Will I be OK booking this myself and getting transportation there with 4 teen-agers?
Only 60 days left, I can't wait....

Thanks,
Kathy
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
First Mate

You will be fine, and probably save some money. There are many cabs ready to take you from and bring you back to port. Many people are afraid of booking on thier own because they do not want to "miss the ship". This is easily taken care of by a device known as a watch.
You can book directly through the Playa MIa website. Have a great time!
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:20 AM
First Mate

I e-mailed Playa Mia about reservations yesterday, and the reply I got back was book through the cruise ship. Is that standard policy? Can I not book this on my own?

Thanks,
Kathy
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
First Mate

I just got an e-mail back from Playa Mia and they do take walk-ins. The premium package(everything included) is 49.00.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:35 AM
First Mate

Katluc, what was the price through Carnival?
I did know that Playa Mia takes reservations on thier website, but I am not sure of the cost difference.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
First Mate

When I went to carnival's web site, it was not being offered, so I figured it was full. I read somewhere else that the cost was 75.00.

Here is what I received from Playa Mia:

The entrance packages available at this moment at the gate of the park are as follows:

- BASIC $ 15.00 USD (tax included)
- FIESTA $ 38.00 USD (tax included)
- PREMIUM $ 49.00 USD (tax included)

Prices are for adults and children. Children age 2 and under enter free.

The differences between the packages are listed below:
Basic package: Entrance to park, sun chair, all non-motorized water sports and park facilities.
Fiesta package: Basic + unlimited domestic open bar (draft beer, bottled water, soft drinks, Margaritas, Rum Punch, PiƱa Coladas, Daiquiris in assorted flavors, Rum, Tequila, Vodka, Brandy, Mezcal, fruit juices.)
Premium package: Fiesta + International buffet, towel & snorkel equipment (mask,fins & snorkel)
Minimum age for consumption of alcoholic drinks in the country of Mexico is 18. Identification is required.

Taxis are available from downtown and the piers and should be from $ 15.00 to $ 20.00 USD one way for up to 4 persons. We have taxis available at our gate when you are ready to return. You should allot a minimum of 15 minutes for your return trip to downtown from our park.

Credit / debit cards with Visa or Mastercard and American Express, U.S. and Mexican currency and travelers checks are accepted at our entrance and restaurants.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:29 PM
First Mate

Has anyone ate at the buffett ? Was it wort it?
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM
cozumelcruising

Playa Mia has contracts with the different cruise lines and they do not allow Playa Mia to make direct bookings. Nevertheless you can take a taxi and just pay at the entrance as walk in...the buffet is actually quite good!
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:31 PM
First Mate

Cozumelcruising,
Was the buffet worth the extra money?

Thanks,
KAthy
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jhallah2
Default playa mia

Hello,
I went to Playa Mia last thanksgiving. I would strongly suggest to NOT book through the ship. The taxis at the ship's pier are everywhere and its extremely quick and cheap to get to Playa Mia. I would stray away from the buffet. I dont know about you, but I love the ship's main dining room's breakfast, heck, that's what you're paying for. So eat an early breakfast on the ship, get the fiesta all-you-can-drink package, and you will be fine until dinner. This is what I plan on doing this upcoming July when I return to Playa Mia!!
Jake
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Just another opinion - I would always book through the ship and partake of the buffet at the beach (you will be there most of the day). Our last cruise in June had a ship booked tour that was late and the ship waited. Four other people booked themselves in Jamaica, got robbed and missed the ship. It happens so be aware of the consequences.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
First Mate

I know it has been a while since this post was started but I just read it and I have some question for anyone who might know the answers.

On Carnivals website they show a Playa Mia Beach Break at your leisure for $39.00 and it says you will take a taxi to Playa Mia at approximately $14.00. Then there is the Playa Mia Beach Break Deluxe for $65.00 and you take a bus.

I guess what confuses me is the taxi thing. How can they keep track of who isn't back on the ship, if everyone takes a taxi? They both include an open bar, while the deluxe includes the buffet. This works out to be about $20.00 difference in price and I am leaning towards the Deluxe for the food and the security of riding a bus in a group.

Any feedback will be helpful.

Thanks, Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jhallah2

Cathy,
With either the bus or taxi, it is your responsibility to get back to the ship. If you drink too much and miss the bus, just get a taxi. Id recommend not buying any excursion through carnival, they are way overpriced because carnival wants their cut of the profits. In cozumel, just go to the taxi stand and say playa mia, when you arrive just pay admission. If you are looking to save money, almost any excursion can be done on your own. Playa mia is a lot of fun. I was there thanksgiving 2006 and it was a blast. Its not more than a 15 minute ride from the pier and taxis are everywhere and have flat rates.

If it's your first cruise, you might have more piece of mind purchasing through carnival. But if you have ever traveled outside of the US not through an organized tour, cozumel will be a piece of cake.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:11 PM
First Mate

Thanks for your speedy reply! It is my 2nd cruise, but we are going with 5 other couples who have never cruised before. I hadn't thought about the possibility of missing the bus. Yikes! Such decisions!

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:45 PM
cozumelcruising

The buffet is actually quite decent and offers some variety of lets say popular international, US and MEX foods. As mentioned, you will be there for several hours, swimming, sorkeling, drinking...it comes pretty practical just to go back to the buffet and get another hot dog or dessert. I thought it is worth the money also taking into account that foods and drinks at the beach clubs are generally higher priced than elsewhere.
Cozumel is very safe and accessible, you will not be robbed on a beach club like Playa Mia and to get there and back by taxi, which takes between 10 and 15 minutes depending on the cruise pier, is very easy and there are always taxis available...good luck!