CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Mexico (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/)
-   -   Isla de Pasion/ Passion Island (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/334654-isla-de-pasion-passion-island.html)

jhallah2 June 12th, 2007 04:08 PM

Isla de Pasion/ Passion Island

Hello,
Does anyone know about this place? Reading reviews on tripadvisor makes it seem really awesome and quiet! Does anyone have any experiences (post-hurricane) from here? Did anyone do this excursion on their own...not through the ship...how much? I'd open to any suggestions.
Thanks!!!
Jake

reverendjeff June 13th, 2007 12:01 PM

Jake, I did this excursion in April through the cruise line. It is wonderful. There is a limited number of people on the island and it is well kept and peaceful. The food is not bad, the restrooms are clean and the the vendors do not hassle you.
I imagined that I was on the set for LOST. The water is blue and the sand is white.
I hope you enjoy this place as much as we did.

jhallah2 June 17th, 2007 11:23 PM

Thanks for the reply! any other ideas anyone? Cost to do this on our own, not through ship?

reverendjeff June 18th, 2007 10:24 PM

I booked through the cruiseline and I asked the guide about future bookings direct. It may be his company line but he claimed that it would cost about the same to book it yourself. One word of caution is that a cab may not be the best avenue because the place where you tender to get to the island is sort of remote. I am not sure if cabs frequent the area.
Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

jhallah2 June 18th, 2007 10:46 PM

Ah, that is a really good point. Maybe this will be my only ship bought excursion this cruise :P

cozumelcruising August 14th, 2007 09:28 PM

As was mentioned, the place is really secluded, a hideaway. It is also a natural reserve so there is no other construction than some beach palapas..no streets, no hotels and yes, only limited amount of people, it is a little island on the north end of the island, well protected by waves as well...a great experience and they really did a good job rebuilding after hurricane Wilma and there is a new generation of administrators...recommendable..enjoy!

flamomo August 15th, 2007 04:26 PM

We did a ship's excursion on a Princess cruise to Passion Island, and we loved it. The beach was clean, quiet and beautiful. Many lounge chairs were lined up on the beach for our use. There was an open bar, a couple of little tourist shops for souveniers, and the buffet-style lunch was in a pavilion. The food at the buffet was quite good. There were no locals pushing stuff to buy anywhere on the island.
We felt the cost was appropriate for what we got.

mwaller37 August 22nd, 2007 10:35 AM

Jake, I recommend do the passion island excursion. my wife and I did it in Feb. and had the best time and met 4 other couples there we mad friend to hang out with the rest of the cruise and we keep intouch to this day. we are going again in October and I have already booked passion island again.

Mike

lhp August 22nd, 2007 11:38 AM

We have never done this excursion but everything I have read (and I read a lot) has been wonderfully positive.

I do believe that 99% of people who do this beach go through the ship, so if I were you, I would go through the ship as well.

We generally don't do ship excursions any longer...but this is one that sounds like it should not be missed if beaches are your thing!!

Have a great cruise.