Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Passenger

Default Chankanaab National Park Cozumel...any reviews?

Has anyone spent the day at Chankanaab? We leave on Saturday and my niece was told it was a fun place, but the pictures make it look as though the beach is a bit rough and hard to reach. Any comments would really be helpful.....
Carnival Destiny (2)
Carnival Imagination (2)
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Holiday
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Fantasy (3)
Carnival Ecstasy (4)
Caribbean Princess
NCL Starward
Dolphin Cruise
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:46 PM
First Mate

The beach sets back from the actual shore. In other words, you have a nice sand beach and then a rocky entrance into the water. There is a swim lagoon although it is on the shallow side and mainly used by children. There are some spots where you can get in the water without climbing rocks, but be sure to wear water socks. (Walmart $6.00)
This is a good place to snorkle as there is a reef.
If you want to walk striaght into the water and you are not big on snorkle excursions, try Mr. Sanchos, or Paradise beach. Both are free to enter and have lots to offer.
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Passenger

Thanks Reverendjeff...this helpd. I was especialy worried about my young (72 year old) Mom who has a bad ankle and now I see that it would be hard for her to get to the water. The kids beach is not the same as the regular beach. I will suggest Mr. Sanchos to the group, which I have heard is a very nice beach.
Carnival Destiny (2)
Carnival Imagination (2)
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Holiday
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Fantasy (3)
Carnival Ecstasy (4)
Caribbean Princess
NCL Starward
Dolphin Cruise
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jhallah2

I have been to both Chankanaab and Playa Mia (a sort of competitor to Chankanaab).

I wasn't disappointed with either. Chankanaab has a nice rocky shoreline that I dont think would be a hard task for an older person to enter the water in. In fact, since you enter on steps and have almost no distance to get to the reef, this might be an ideal place for an older person to snorkel...less swimming. I went with my grandma (she was maybe 82 at the time) and although she didn't snorkel, she loved sitting under a tiki hut with many (yep many) drinks...not sure how much they cost there though. Thoroughly enjoyed Chankanaab...and is cheap...taxi $10/car each way up to 4 people, admission $10, snorkel gear maybe ~$6.

Playa Mia is your typical party beach. Since I was there over thanksgiving, Cozumel had probably a dozen ships in port, so the place was super crowded. Not a place to snorkel, but very fun to buy the inclusive drink package...wish I remember getting back to the ship after that day