Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:12 PM
Beginner

Default Stone Island

Which tour company for Stone island tour? There are so many.
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:43 PM
First Mate

Why do you want to go to Stone Island?

We were just there last Thursday, it is not the paradise island that is described in the tour guides. At best it is where the poor Mexicans will live. We were promised a horse and buggy ride, silly me thought it was like a horse and carriage. No, it was an old horse, pulling a wooden trailer with 2 X 10 planks of wood for seats. The horse was driven by 2 twelve year old boys and we were treated to a tour of the back streets.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciated what the boys were doing and tipped them both very generously because I felt heartily sorry for them and the conditions in which they were being brought up.

Stone Island beaches come with a warning not to swim as the undertow is very dangerous. The red flag is always on display apparently.

The best restaurant we saw was the one that the tour company took us to.
Not bad facilities but not very good food. In Mexico it seems that if they give you an open bar and get everyone liquored up then the tour must have been a success.\
You will also encounter the dreaded beach vendors who are very persistant in this particular spot.
All in all I would have to say that this tour was definitely not a highlight of my recent tour to Mexico. There are many more places to see that far outshine Stone Island.
JennC
Old September 22nd, 2007, 11:09 PM
Beginner

Default SKIP STONE ISLAND!

We went to Stone Island with the lovely idea it would be at least half of what was promised on the tour description. All I can say is YUCK! And I am a BIG fan of Mexico. Half dead horses, dirty beaches, dirty restaurants, dangerous banana boat rides and so on. Mazatlan for this reason was my least favorite port. On our upcoming cruise I chose an itenarary that did not include Mazatlan.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

ibfluffy - we have decided to go to stone island on our own. from posts i've read on another board it sounds like it is relatively simple to get there from the pier.

i have read more positive posts than negative regarding stone island but figure if we get there and don't like we won't be stuck on a 6 hour excursion.
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Beginner

Default It Sucked...

Don't waste your time on Stone Island. It's underdeveloped, not much to do except drink beer in a straw hut swatting the flies away.