Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:39 AM
Familiar Face

Default Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean

Well, Looks as though Hurricane Dean (now at Cat 5) will make a direct hit on Costa Maya in about three hours.

Costa Maya is one of my stops for my cruise next month.

Wanted to open up this thread for anyone to post once the extent of damage is known.
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick's Guy
Well, Looks as though Hurricane Dean (now at Cat 5) will make a direct hit on Costa Maya in about three hours.

Costa Maya is one of my stops for my cruise next month.

Wanted to open up this thread for anyone to post once the extent of damage is known.
Island Jim emailed me this afternoon that Cozumel faired pretty well.
They lost power about 4:15am but not the entire island.
From what I am being told from folks who live there, once they get the power restored...I am anticipating a few days of clean up and things will be back to normal.

However, Costa Maya is a different story. That area took the direct hit.
Canary has family in CM and will be updating us as soon they as are able to get in touch with them.

They have not had a bad hurricane in 30 years hit them in Costa Maya.
The good news (if there is such a thing) is that Dean did not sit on top of CM and spin while Wilma did to Cozumel. Dean blew on through pretty quickly. Hopefully that spared the dock itself. (fingers crossed)

The best thing we can do is get back in there and spend money to help them get back to normal.

Paradise Beach in Cozumel was up and running 3 weeks after Wilma. I have seen the pictures and it was a mess to say the least.

Hopefully there was no loss of life and the property can be restored quickly to get the tourist back in.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM
Admiral

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:30 AM
Beginner

Hey i would really like to know also if anyone finds out the fate of Costa maya. We go there October 1 and was just wondering what we'll do if its closed
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaller37
Hey i would really like to know also if anyone finds out the fate of Costa maya. We go there October 1 and was just wondering what we'll do if its closed
I would imagine that Carnival will substitute Belize, Progresso or Calica (Playa Del Carmen)

There is an article on Costa Maya:

Costa Maya news from seatrader.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Costa Maya estimates 6- to 8-month closure
22/8/2007
Puerto Costa Maya estimates a six- to eight-month closure due to damage suffered from the direct hit by Hurricane Dean, Seatrade Insider has learned.
‘We believe more than 50% of the pier is gone. It’s a multimillion-dollar loss,’ port spokesman Cesar Lizarraga said.

An assessment of facilities is under way and more information will be provided soon. No casualties were reported in the area as of yesterday, but there was heavy damage to the fishing village of Majahual and the town of Bacalar.

‘We will rebuild,’ Lizarraga told Seatrade Insider. ‘The region is counting on us.’ The Hamui family, chief investors in Puerto Costa Maya, will soon put forward their recovery plan.

Mexican President Felipe Calderón overnighted in Chetumal, 60 miles south of Puerto Costa Maya, and is scheduled to inspect the port and surrounding area today.

Lizarraga is starting to call on cruise lines in South Florida to discuss the future. He anticipates operators will redeploy ships to Western Caribbean ports such as Roatán and Belize while Costa Maya is rebuilding

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Beginner

Hey, Thanks for the update

Mike
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Beginner

hi, my cruise leaves in two weeks and our 1st stop is supposed to be Costa Maya???? Read that the port will be closed for about 6 to 8 months
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:09 AM
cozumelcruising

Hi, we just flew over the port and village...please take into account that it will take minimum 6 months to maybe able to tender into Mahjual and 1-1.5 years minimum to rebuild the pier. Lot of damage. Mayan ruins are still intact but vegetation took a big hit. No cruise ship is planned to visit Costa Maya for quite some time, please check back with your cruise line, different cruise lines are chosing different alternative ports such as Cozumel, Progreso, Playa del Carmen, Rotana, etc. Hope this update helps...tour operators are evacuating the area.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
Beginner

Thanks alot, I appreciate the info and that is what I kind of expected just didnt know yet.

Mike
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Folks...when the port is operational again.....I vote that we (as blessed cruisers) do a little extra. Just think if every cruiser brought just a few school supplies or gave it a little extra tip ...what a difference we could make.

I know these boards only reach about 1 - 2% of cruisers....but when you are talking 2,000 people...that is still a lot of folks. If just 1% of the passengers on a ship (say 200 people) gave just $5 extra each that would be an extra $1,000.00 to these folks. Can you imagine doing that every week?

One small candle can make a difference. Let's remember them when we return!

Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:41 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
Folks...when the port is operational again.....I vote that we (as blessed cruisers) do a little extra. Just think if every cruiser brought just a few school supplies or gave it a little extra tip ...what a difference we could make.

I know these boards only reach about 1 - 2% of cruisers....but when you are talking 2,000 people...that is still a lot of folks. If just 1% of the passengers on a ship (say 200 people) gave just $5 extra each that would be an extra $1,000.00 to these folks. Can you imagine doing that every week?

One small candle can make a difference. Let's remember them when we return!
*hug* I am in!
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Just a note: I meant to say if just 10% of the passengers .... not 1%.
My brain was thinking 10%, but my fingers were still thinking 1% for board members.

Anyway, 200 people...

Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
cozumelcruising

Awesome idea ... in addition to our 10% profit donation to a most recognized foundation, we are working on a donation installation in the current cruise piers in Cozumel, for everybody who feels that a difference always makes a difference .... comes around, goes around. Process with government has started.

The people of Costa Maya WILL remember this GIFT and WILL give it back in their personal way. It is an event that is dramatic, and apart from the fact that basically many people produce to eat and sell regionally, there is tourism...

I am sure that the people of the area would agree that I express thanks for any support available in their name in this forum, we as people living in Cozumel know this situation (Wilma 2 years ago) and were very thankful for any aid...sometimes it is needed and not expected.
Old August 24th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozumelcruising
Awesome idea ... in addition to our 10% profit donation to a most recognized foundation, we are working on a donation installation in the current cruise piers in Cozumel, for everybody who feels that a difference always makes a difference .... comes around, goes around. Process with government has started.

The people of Costa Maya WILL remember this GIFT and WILL give it back in their personal way. It is an event that is dramatic, and apart from the fact that basically many people produce to eat and sell regionally, there is tourism...

I am sure that the people of the area would agree that I express thanks for any support available in their name in this forum, we as people living in Cozumel know this situation (Wilma 2 years ago) and were very thankful for any aid...sometimes it is needed and not expected.
We will be back in Cozumel in December and will look for a collection
being taken. We are so blessed and we truly appreciate how the folks in the ports work so hard to make our vacations the best they can be.

There was a former Carnival Cruise Director (Peter Gibbs) that tried to start a non-profit organization called "Sea Change" that would collect pcoket change from all the cruise ships to be used in the ports where these ships dock. I do not know if it ever got off the ground but it was an outstanding idea.

Old August 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
First Mate

How sad--we were recently at the ruins at Chachoben--
Was curious to read that an individual family was the main investor for this port HAMUI--does anyone know more about them? I thought it was mexican gov undertaking & some of it with the cruise lines...
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:09 AM
cozumelcruising

The main owners of the cruise terminal is a famous family and the area was developped as a new tourist destination together with the Government and cruise lines, as it was done similarly with Cancun and Playa del Carmen a little more than 30 years ago. They are currently still analyzing the structural damage to the pier pillars with divers in order to assess investment and time frames for reconstruction and reopening. I will keep this forum updated about any official news..happy cruising!
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM
cozumelcruising

Better late than never, here are the promised aerial photos of Mahahual, Costa Maya, taken just 2 days after the hurricane! (click: http://www.cozumel-watersports.com/H...nCostaMaya.htm) we hope that these pictures illustrate what has happened to this area and we hope that it will be rebuilt to receive the necessary toursim industry as soon as possible. Our thoughts are with our friends there and the local population.