Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Captain

Default Progresso, MX

Can you guys offer some new tips on what to do in Progresso, if we don't want to book an excursion? What are the best shops and best items to buy here?
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:39 PM
cozumelcruising

Progreso is basically just a little fishing village and you will find many "popular" tourist souvenirs and handcrafts, there is a nice collection at the local flea market, where normally the pier shuttle is taking the people to, directly in the center of Progreso. This port is manly the door to Merida City, a beautiful colonial city with a lot of culture and sightseeing and to Mayan Ruins of Chichen Itza. There is only limited activities offered individually in Progreso, ship tours are the most popular. New tours that cna be recommended is the Hacienda ATV tour, the Rhino off road Mayan Ruins and Beach Combo, and the Buggy Beach Break. Hope this helps!
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Beginner

We found the shopping to be just like going across the border at Acuna or Piedras Negras or any other border town at the Tex/Mex border. We did not take a chance and eat there...looked around about 1 1/2 hours and that was enough for us. Went back to the ship and ate. Our friend booked the Kayak excursion. She said it was like going through sewer water. Disgusting smell. Everyone did their best to keep the water from splashing on them; very few wildlife or birds. After the tour was over, she watched the guides walk over to a bucket and pour clear water all over themselves. Living close to the border, she knew what that meant and headed straight to the boat to scrub down. Don't pay $71 for a trip through the sewer waters on this excursion. She made sure she filled out the comment card for Carnival since this was booked through them.

Many in our group went on the Mayan ruin excursions at Progreso. Next time we will do one of those. Everyone enjoyed them. But they all said to make sure that anyone going on these can walk. One of the tours left an older lady with a walker at some point because she could not go at a fast pace and was holding up the group.
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Captain

We are back from the Halloween cruise where we were sent to Progresso, in place of Costa Maya. This was our 2nd time there. The first time was in 2006 when we were diverted after we boarded due to a hurricane. We knew nothing about the place and had no chance to plan. We did not like it at all. We were diverted again due to Hurrican Dean and we just took the double decker bus, shopped in the open air flea market and walked along the streets near the beach.

Again, I just did not like this place. It is dirty and it stinks and the street vendors are far too agressive for us to enjoy our vacation. We finally just went back to the ship and found a deck chair on the rear deck and took a very nice nap. That was our most enjoyable experience of the day in Progresso.

Unfortunately, we are going again in April. We had already bought our cabins for spring break for our kids and grandchildren for Christmas. This is basically our only choice in itinerary with a group this large (15) so I hope we can find something better to show them in Progresso then. We might just pack a cooler of drinks and ship sandwiches and head straight to the beach. I definately would not eat anything in this port.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:07 PM
cozumelcruising

Hi, the port of Progreso (Yucatan) is mainly chosen by the cruise lines for the proximty, existing freight pier, and Chichen Itza...Progreso itself is a fishing and weekend place...not very clean nor educated, but has its natural beauties to explore. I would recommend to book a tour, there are now far many more tours available in this port due to increased cruise visits, otherwise I would suggest to read about Merida and Mayan Ruins close to and explore on your own..good luck!
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozumelcruising
Hi, the port of Progreso (Yucatan) is mainly chosen by the cruise lines for the proximty, existing freight pier, and Chichen Itza...Progreso itself is a fishing and weekend place...not very clean nor educated, but has its natural beauties to explore. I would recommend to book a tour, there are now far many more tours available in this port due to increased cruise visits, otherwise I would suggest to read about Merida and Mayan Ruins close to and explore on your own..good luck!
Good advise. I admit it's not one of my favorite ports of call, but in eight visits, I've always had a fun & interesting time in and around Progreso. Explore!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:06 AM
Captain

Okay - we are back again from Progreso, and I must say that I saw some improvement this time. After leaving the port shops we boarded the bus into town and as we drove down the long pier, I began to notice the water. It was absolutely beautiful and the color of the water we were used to seeing in Costa Maya and Cozumel. It suddenly occured to me that the times we had been in Progresso were both in mid to late October and the water had been ugly and grayish. Apparently we were there at the wrong time of year.

When we arrived in town, things seemed a little cleaner and the smell was gone. Our group of 14 took the little double decker bus for $2 each and everyone enjoyed it. We then split up into groups and some took a 3 hour bus tour that was booked in town for $18. We had done this before so we skipped it. This was their first cruise and first time to Mexico and they loved it. They saw the pink flamingos and some ruins and beautiful houses and still had time to shp and look around.

Some of our group just walked around and shot pics, some shopped and some of us headed straight to the beach. Everyone else met us there later. We found a nice little place across from a restaurant called San Marino. They had little huts with tables on the beach and their waiter came out with a menu and brought drinks and free chips and wonderful homemade salsa. Our bill for soft drinks and salsa with chips for 9 of us was $14 U.S. The open air restaurant across the street from the beach was very nice and clean. We were able to use their restrooms (Banos) to change and they were also clean.

As we headed back to the town, we stopped to check on a massage. Three of us got 40 minute massages for $15 each and they were wonderful. I was so relaxed, I felt like I would not be able to stand up and walk back to town. If you decide to get a massage, there are several places set up. The one we chose was right in the curve as you reach the beach area and straight in line with a tall statue. The girls were dressed in white uniforms and only one spoke English. Their names were Erica, Nola and Julie - be sure to find them.

My two grand daughters got their hair braided on the beach and we paid $25 for the two of them. They wanted $15 each but we asked for a deal for two and they gave us a small discount. If you have this done, be sure to apply sunscreen between the rows. Both girls got sunburned and had to take the braids down by the next morning.

Our last morning on the ship we met some ladies at breakfast who had taken the trip to Merida that included a Segway portion and they loved it.
2011 Monarch of the Seas