Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Passenger

Default Topless Beaches in or near Progreso???

Taking the Carnival Ship Holiday April 14th to Progreso. Never been there. We where wondering if there was a beach in or near Progreso where topless sunbathing is tolerated / allowed?
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM
cozumelcruising

Hi, right nex to the cruise pier starts the long beach of Progreso, however there are better spots than others for easy swimming, clean beach and services available. Unfortunately, topless is not allowed and officials will take your attention to this. Topless in public is generally not part of the culture and locals do not appreciate it very much, taking into account that children and family would be affected. Hope this helps. In case you are coming to Cozumel, there are endless beach spots on the other side of the island and if you find a spot where there is nobody..isnt a problem to go topless in a decent way. Good luck!..another way would be to go to a resort for the daypass...some resorts do not have restrictions in this regards...
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozumelcruising
Unfortunately, topless is not allowed and officials will take your attention to this. Topless in public is generally not part of the culture and locals do not appreciate it very much, taking into account that children and family would be affected. Hope this helps. In case you are coming to Cozumel, there are endless beach spots on the other side of the island and if you find a spot where there is nobody..isnt a problem to go topless in a decent way. Good luck!..another way would be to go to a resort for the daypass...some resorts do not have restrictions in this regards...
Thanks for the reply! Very good information. We can be happy at any beach. Prefer "adult" type beach, but we will have fun no matter where are. We have been to Cozumel many times and know about the beaches on the other side. We like Mezcalitos! www.mezcalitos.com

Thanks again for you reply!
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Yep, no topless allowed. We're doing a 1 week vacation to Cancun next June (non-cruise) & read about a couple of women who were hauled down to the police station for being topless on a beach in Cancun.

So....no, I'm thinking Mexico is 0% tolerant.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:19 PM
cozumelcruising

Jep, but if you are in a hotel area or beach club area...BUT not on the beach since all beach areas are public areas..you may be able to in accordance to the "house rules" of the property..good luck!
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
Yep, no topless allowed. We're doing a 1 week vacation to Cancun next June (non-cruise) & read about a couple of women who were hauled down to the police station for being topless on a beach in Cancun.

So....no, I'm thinking Mexico is 0% tolerant.
I would be willing to bet these women where hauled to the police station for reasons OTHER then being topless. Or at least, doing other things illegal while being topless. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of topless women all over the beaches in Cancun.

I wasn't there at the time of arrest and can be proved wrong, I am just going by what I have seen.
Old December 24th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I don't know, not much detail was given. It was posted on the Forum on Tripadvisor.com in the Cancun section. A couple of people witnessed it. Not sure if the hotel called the police or one of the people on vacation. But from what was said, they were told to put their tops on & refused to.

I would not want to be stuck in a Mexican jail....anything can happen down there....

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old November 18th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Beginner

I have to disagree. I've been to the beach at Playa Del Carmen and it was populated by many women who were topless and further south near Tulum there are endless beaches where topless and occasional nudity is common.
There is also a couple of all inclusive resorts south of Playa Del Carmen where nudity is their specialty ( Hidden Beach Resort is one of them ).
Having said that we are planning a trip to Progreso from Dec 13 to Jan 4 and have rented a private house on the beach with a private pool where we'll be catching rays
(without tan lines ) but were also wondering if there were any beaches nearby that we could wonder without textile material and without concerns of harassment.
We've tried the occasional nude cruise option and that was a lot of fun.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions.
Old November 18th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I agree about PDC, but not around Progreso. (except at your place)

Nice old thread.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.