Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Passenger

Default Mazatla What to do there

I understand this port SUCKS!!!! What can I do there that is fun & safe. Anything>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2007, 03:55 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

When are you going? I am going on the Vision of the Seas 13-22 June. Have you looked at excursions? They have am ATV excursion that looks cool. I also like it because it's only one person per ATV, and you have to be 16 or 18, so that means no kids

Old November 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM
Passenger

I am going there in January. I will be with 4 other woman, we dont want to do that. We would like to find a nice safe beach to snorkel & sun tan at. Can anyone help me. I am finding out this port is a DUMP.
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Admiral

My suggestion is to hit the beaches in PV and Cabo and whale watch in this port. The Whale migrate from Dec to April so you should see some in January.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Admiral

Default WHat to do in Mazatlan

I really enjoyed Mazatlan I did a private excursion with Mazatlan Frank who posts in these forums. We did the city/colonial tour and we got to see so much more for so much less money then the ship tours. We saw bricks made by hand, went to the lovely town in the Serra Madres to see a 17th centrury church, ate at a good restaurant on the beach, watched cliff divers, and went shopping in the Golden zone.

Frank customized his tours for people too. He is licensed insured, speaks perfect English, had clean air conditioned mini vans. I ended up taking a group of 12 women and 1 man everyone had a wonderful time. Message me if you need his contact info.

I have some photos posted under Carnival Pride Halloween cruise 2006. Look for Showcat.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM
Passenger

How does one contact FRANK about private tour? THANK YOU
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Mazatla What to do there

kdoubledog,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I understand this port SUCKS!!!! What can I do there that is fun & safe. Anything>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Honestly, Mazatlan is the worst port of call on the Mexican Riviera. The main tourist areas actually are pretty safe, but the beach vendors are real pests in front of the downtown resorts and the "Golden Zone" really is a dump, though many people do find good deals there. I do have a couple recommendations, though.

>> 1. The main city tour, which includes the cathedral and city hall in addition to the show featuring the Pampatla Flyers, is very good.

>> 2. There is a shore excursion that combines the show by the Pampatla Flyers with use of the facilities at a resort hotel at the other end of the Golden Zone. The beach vendors are not allowed on hotel property, so you can use the hotel's huge pool without being harrassed.

>> 3. IIRC, there's a shore excursion that goes to an island by boat for a day on the beach, probably with lunch included. I have not done this tour, but it probably gets away from the beach vendors.

Finally, there's a "flea market" right next to the cruise ship pier that's worth a walk-through. The vendors in the flea market will leave you alone unless you stop to look at their booths, and they will not follow you when you move on. If you like to bargain, you can get some great deals there.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Norm.
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Default Mazatlan

I liked the Serre Madres and the 17th town of Concordia. I thought it was charming, like I said I enjoyed Mazatlan and going off to the different areas provided an insight into th the Mexican people and their way of life. I learned the most there about the culture from that port, but my tour had much to do with that as I had a local teaching us, and answering questions I was not with some huge group on a bus, with a ships tour. But if you do decide to do a ships tour I think Mazatlan has many interesting ones to choose from. I thought it was a pretty port, more urban then Cabo or Puerto Vallarta but the waves crashing where the cliff divers dive and the scuptures along the shore were quite impressive. I got some great photos there, and going into the mountains and away from the port was so peaceful, quiet and lovely. Enjoy this port there is a lot to see, choose what interests you most.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Beginner

I am also going on Vision of the Seas June 1st-8th. This will be my 3rd time to Mazatlan and I don't think we are going to get off the boat. I hate this port!! I know last time we were there this was some peoples favorite port on the cruise so I think it just depends on what you like. Have fun!!
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Beginner

Default Suggestion.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobetobe
I am also going on Vision of the Seas June 1st-8th. This will be my 3rd time to Mazatlan and I don't think we are going to get off the boat. I hate this port!! I know last time we were there this was some peoples favorite port on the cruise so I think it just depends on what you like. Have fun!!
I have heard that the water taxi over to Stone Island is what most beach folks do. The beach vendors are not as bothersome and respond to "No-Nada, Not interested". Victor's on Stone Island has the BEST shrimp you will ever put in your mouth! Their garlic shrimp are to die for and the coconut is almost as good. IMHO
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:49 PM
First Mate

We have cruised 3 times to Mazatlan and have taken a catamaran to Deer Island 2 times and did the Stone Island excursion the 3rd time. We have also spent New Years in Mazatlan at the El Cid and had a great times just wandering around town or hanging on the beach. Plus in town, there is a little massage shop that I go every time when I am down there to get the best massage. I agree there are better ports but we always find something to do and the fact that you are on vacation makes it half the fun.
Enjoy!
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

We don't normally do "excursions," per se. On our recent visit, we walked the approximately one mile to the Pacifico/Corona brewery, where we were given a very inclusive tour, followed by a beer at the "top of the tower" lounge. They also gave each of us a small momento brochure with our picture included. Cost ..........zero, plus some good exercise. In a prior visit, we just walked to the cathedral for a self-tour, followed by some local window shopping. We saw whales off of Cabo, plus I witnessed a stingray leaping and flipping near the ship.
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Seabeacon

If it's so bad, can't the cruise lines find a nicer port to go to?
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Default Mazatlan I loved it

I don't understand why everyone doesn't like this port. I think it's great. Maybe it's because I did the private tour with Mazatlan Frank. Message me for his info or look for him on the Mexico board on this site.
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Beginner

I agree with latest poster. Here is my review of tour with Mazatlan Frank
Just got back today from one wonderful week cruising on the Sapphire Princess. Our very favorite day was Wednesday December 10th because we got to do the Mazatlan Frank All day City tour.

If you get the opportunity you must tour with Frank. He is the best tour guide I've ever had on 12 cruises. Very nice man, points out many interesting points about Mazatlan, and has extremely good customer service skills, (large and small companies could learn alot from him). The tour starts at 830 and goes until appx 3pm. There were 9 in our group in a minivan. Frank starts our by giving a quick overview of the areas he will be taking you and also lets you know that his tour is flexible as he wants all to be happy.

First we went to a lookout point (forgot the name) you can see the cruise ships from there and a great view of the ocean and city, just lovely. There are a few stands there you can buy things from. Then we went to old Mazatlan and saw the cathedral and the farmers market. The market was so much fun. The stands surrounding the market are your typical crafty, t-shirt things. Walk in a bit and you will see where all the locals buy their food, etc. Very interesting. As you drive out of this area you guy buy the shrimp market which was interesting as well. From there we went to see the cliff divers. Very fun and there was some shopping there as well. From there we went back into an area of old Mazatlan (again forgot the name of the district) It is both a residential and commercial district that has been restored. We did some walking and Frank took us to a small town square which was beautiful. You walk by the Opera House. Then we walked to some friends of his home and art studio. You have the opportunity to buy handcrafted items and pottery. From there we spent just about 15 minutes in the Golden Zone (not my favorite part as I've been to the Golden Zone many times) From there we drove through a gated residential community called El Cid. It was absolutely beautiful. The homes were in the 250,000 to 2mil range and had some beautifu architecture. From there we were taken to Tony's on the Beach for lunch. We had something that looked like a volcano (it is actually pictured on the menu) It is chicken and/or beef with cheese, onions, peppers, etc all in a juice, came with beans and tortillas - excellent. Others had shrimp and lobster and said they were good. The service was great and friendly. We got to walk on the beach for a bit. It's a beautiful stretch of beach and you can look south and see the Hotel Zone - just lovely. Then we were taken on a drive through the marina and by the newest Hotel Zone. There are many new hotels being built there. When this area is all completed it will be something to see. Then Frank asked if there were any other things anyone wanted to see before heading to the boat. We had seen so many lovely things that we decided to head back. He drove us back through what is considered a middle class area and then down the Malecon to see some of the sculptures as we headed to the ship.

I had been to Mazatlan 5 times prior and liked Mazatlan but because of Frank's wonderful tour I have such an appreciation of Mazatlan. If you've just been on ships tours and seen primarily the Golden Zone you may not know how truly beautiful the city is. We saw some spectacular views and heard so many interesting facts. Frank also says to feel free to email him if you have any questions about hotels, restaurants or things to do if you come back to stay in Mazatlan or even if any of your friends or family need information, Where else do you get that kind of service.
All and all an A+ tour.
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Beginner

Default Deer Island

We were expecting Mazatlan to be the most boring day, but it was actually our favorite day of the whole trip. We booked the excursion for $45/person here: http://www.mazatlantours.org/kolonah...eer-island.htm

We had the time of our lives drinking all of their free alcohol, riding the banana boats, kayaking, playing volleyball, and then they cooked up some delicious tacos. It seemed a bit short as we didn't get a chance to snorkel. There were 6 in our group and we loved it.
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Familiar Face

We booked the "Salsa and Salsa" tour in Mazatlan and absolutely loved it. You're transported to Las Flores hotel where you're greeted with marguaritas and led to a courtyard where you'll enjoy many more marguaritas (non-alcoholic are available) and learn to make 4 different salsas and guacamoles. After cooking class, you learn how to dance the Salsa, or just sit and relax and watch others. The tour leader is very entertaining and we laughed ourselves silly. Passengers also had free time to enjoy the hotel facilities - beach, pool, shop, etc. We'll definitely book this tour again when vitising Matzatlan.
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I thank you allfor helping me make the a decision--I`ll be staying onboard the ship when it docks in Mazatlan!!!!! I cruise solo, so trying to book a tour with Frank would be extremely pricy.

I`ll stay on the ship, but if there is a shopping complex really close to the ship, as in a block or two max, I`d get consider getting off and do a quick hour of shopping and get back on the ship and find a deck chair around the pool for the remainder of the day!!!

I have tours I want to do in PV and Cabo that will be fun, so I`ll stick with that....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
First Mate

misguidedangel,
There is a shopping area right at the port when you get off the ship. It has all the same things you would find in town and even a little bar type stand for a few drinks.
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Admiral

I would never miss Mazatlan! I think it's lovely, even if you think Frank's tour is pricey Misguided Angel, it's really not with all you get included. But I would suggest you take a taxi to watch the cliff divers, it's a lovely area of beach with scuptures and crashing waves, the divers do collect some tips they risk their lives to earn their living. Or you could take a taxi and shop the golden zone or just wander a bit. It really is a great port once you get into the nicer areas. We ate lunch at a place called Ricks on the beach great food and view. There maybe resorts that will offer a day package as well. I wouldn't miss this this stop, unlike Ocho Rios
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Admiral

I'm glad to read these posts as we are cruising the Mexican Rivieria in May. I didn't know there were cliff divers in Mazaltan that sounds interesting. Last time we really there we took an all day sport fishing tour. We didn't catch anything and didn't have time to check out the city. Some of the other tours including the Pacifico/Corona brewery tour sound fun.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Ok, so how does one get in touch with Matzatlan Frank? I have been to Matzatlan only once about 5 years ago. We took a taxi outside of the ship and got dropped off somewhere in the shopping district. We then took a taxi to Senor Frogs for lunch. We had an OK time, but we didnt really see much of the city. Maybe a tour with Frank would be more fun. Thanks
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Admiral

Old July 20th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Captain

We will be on the NCL Star in Sept. and are booking Franks' massage tour in Mazatlan. We are four couples and the ladies will go for massages at the end of the tour while Frank deposits the men folk at a resort. He is going to call for us when our massages our through.

I've not met him, but from all his posts, and his emails to me, it is obvious that he truly wants you to have an enjoyable time in his city.
I think if you are travelling solo you can still join one of his groups.
If nothing else, he will be happy to tell you how to get the most of your day on your own. He's a very nice man.
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I thank you allfor helping me make the a decision--I`ll be staying onboard the ship when it docks in Mazatlan!!!!! I cruise solo, so trying to book a tour with Frank would be extremely pricy.

I`ll stay on the ship, but if there is a shopping complex really close to the ship, as in a block or two max, I`d get consider getting off and do a quick hour of shopping and get back on the ship and find a deck chair around the pool for the remainder of the day!!!

I have tours I want to do in PV and Cabo that will be fun, so I`ll stick with that....

Before you decide to not tour Mazatlan send a message off to Frank.

His communication is great, just send off an email to him.

We're going to do a city/brewery tour.
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:05 PM
First Mate

Default tours

What's the difference between Stone Island and Deer Island. What has the most for children 7 and 10. Looks like Frank is going to combine a city and stone Island or deer Island tour.
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM
First Mate

another question???? Do they have umbrellas on stone Island? Looks like you can hang out at a bar and let kids swim in the ocean. Was the water clear? Now also wondering anyone know when the cliff divers go. I would like to do a short city tour and see them then end up at stone Island for a few hours.
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Admiral

I think the restaurants have Umbrellas. Here is a picture I found of Lefty's Restaurant on Stone Island I think if you order from the restaurant the chairs are free to use. Here is an interesting link on an article about Stone Island. http://www.mexicoportreviews.com/Mazatlan4.htm

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM
First Mate

thanks. I am thinking of trying to find someone to give us a quick city tour. Maybe 2 hours also want to see the cliff divers then go to SI for three or four hours. Maybe do as a tour or on own own Sounds like fun.
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Mazatlan. On one visit, we walked the approximately one mile to the Pacifico/Corona brewery, where we were given a very inclusive tour, followed by a beer at the "top of the tower" lounge. They also gave each of us a small momento brochure with our picture included. Cost ..........zero, plus some good exercise. In a prior visit, we just walked to the cathedral for a self-tour, followed by some local window shopping. The Princess ships seems pretty liberal in allowing passengers to bring beverages purchased ashore back onto the ship. One man in our brewery tour hauled four quarts of Pacifico back to the ship. We only took one.
On our most recent trip we walked westerly out of the dock area (crossing the divided road just outside the dock). We just headed southwest to the hill that we could see about 1/2 mile away. It got much less crowded immediately. We walked past two of three schools that were in session, encountering the old custom house. We then walked southerly to the end of the port area (only a couple of blocks), until we found the surf zone of the coast. Very scenic. Nice homes on the hillside. We then followed the coast road around the hill to the old town of Mazatlan. A nice art museum, museum of archeology, internet cafes, non-expensive restaurants and bars. We bought some jewelry; and, then had a couple of 15 peso beers before walking back to the ship. There was much more to see in that area that we didn't have time to visit. We'll save that for our next visit. We used to think that Mazatlan was not worth leaving the ship for; but, have changed our minds.

Of all the ports we've visited on the Mexican Riviera, we have found the best art in Mazatlan.