Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Beginner

Default Progreso to Chitzen Itza

We are going to be in Progreso from 9AM to 5PM, and we are considering renting a car and driving to Chitza Itza. Has anyone done this? We want to go there and then head to Merida. Is this safe? Can you recommend a rental car agency? Or some restaurants in Merida? Or is it possible to hire a driver to take us around?
Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM
First Mate

KathyC,

We have done the trip to Chitzen Itza on a Carnival sponsored tour bus.
The ruins are very interesting, and we thoroughly enjoyed the excursion.
The trip took about 7 hours, so we were very close to sailing time when we arrived back at the ship. Maybe if you do the tour yourselves, you can cut some time off of the trip. The bus was air conditioned and very nice. It seems like lunch was included and they sold drinks for a $1 or so onboard the bus. We did make one stop at a little village which allowed you to shop in their market. The guide gave an informative talk on the way to the ruins. I have talked to friends and family and no one I know has done this trip on their own.
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I have done it, but with just two of you and considering your time frame I'd do as gambler did and take the cruise tour. (and I don't usually recommend the ships tours)

Great place to see, good luck.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Beginner

I agree -- we did the Progreso to Chichen Itza trip last summer by bus. The bus was big, nice, and not crowded. There was a tour guide who provided information over the bus' speaker system during the trip. I always enjoy the ride almost as much as the destination, because it gives me a chance to sightsee along the way. I'd take the bus on this one.
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM
cozumelcruising

Chichen Itza from Progreso...9-5...I recommend the ship excursion, since you not only profit from a local guides knowledge about the Yucatan region including Merida and a guided tour of the ruins (which really adds a lot of value since there are so many thigs that one is not aware of or does not know the unique and interesting origin) AND...believe me or not, if on the way your car breaks down, run out of gas or simply has a flat tire...forget to reach your ship. The road is long and to get help takes time. For sure, eating or shopping in Merida may not fit in the time schedule since also take into account that Merida is quite big and to get to the center and out again to get back to Progreso can take a LOT of time depending on traffic, not to mention the lack of road information/signals...it is hard to find your way around, Merida is built Paris style and does not provide an easy overview...take the ship excursion and come back to enjoy the beautiful Yucatan with more time available and no hassle...good luck!!