Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Beginner

Default Anyone done Segway tour in Cozumel or Progresso?

Hi everyone--I'm a newbie here.
We're taking our first family cruise in June (myself, DH, and DS12). Doing a budget trip on Carnival Holiday to Cozumel and Progresso.
I'm studying excursions and wonder if anyone here has had experience with the Segway tours. I think that's something we would all enjoy.
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Re: Anyone done Segway tour in Cozumel or Progresso?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopWishes
Hi everyone--I'm a newbie here.
We're taking our first family cruise in June (myself, DH, and DS12). Doing a budget trip on Carnival Holiday to Cozumel and Progresso.
I'm studying excursions and wonder if anyone here has had experience with the Segway tours. I think that's something we would all enjoy.
Thoughts?
First, welcome to CruiseMates.

It sounds like fun. The only Segway I saw in Cozumel was driven (I wonder if that's the right term) by a local policeman. I wonder if they let you use it in town. I may be a little afraid to do that because of traffic. Hopefully someone has done it and will let us both know.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Passenger

I was in Cozemel and Progresso in Sep't. Don't recall seeing any Segway tours in either place. We did rent Scooters in Progresso, and frankly they were hard to find. We had asked several people/shop keepers and all said no one rents them. We tripped over a rental place by accident. I think a Segway would be just about impossible to find.

Admonisments about renting scooters and going out on your own aside, we did it and had a blast. It was fairly inexpensive ($20 bucks for 4 hours or so). The Scooter place was along the Malecon (malacon?), to the left of the pier after you exit the ship. I seem to recall we walked about four or five blocks before we spotted them.

From there, we rode east I believe to a bird sanctuary, few small villages, and a nice lunch at a small out of the way place.
Nov. 2002 Carnival Legend Western Caribbean
May 1998 Royal Caribbean Enchantment Mediterranean
Nov. 1996 Carnival Fascination Southern Caribbean
April 1988 American Hawaiian Hawaiian Islands
Nov. 1986 Regency Western Caribbean
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
cozumelcruising

Yes, Cozumel police (for tourists) have some segways, but you would not be allowed to drive them downtown. The tour takes place from Puerta Maya pier on one of the older public roads. It looks like fun, however it is on public road so I have some safety concerns. One recommendation though: Scooters are next to Jet Skis the most dangerous aspects of Cozumel!! There are litteraly many accidents every day, this is true. Not knowing the scooter, streets, traffic, etc...many end up in the hospital or with scratches. I always recommend to spend an extra 10-20$ to rent a jeep or other vehicle, it is a lot safer and honestly, I havent seen a hospital or doctor bill of less than 20$...so I consider it a very sound investment for you and family!! Good luck!