Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM
First Mate

Default Excursion ideas

Wow! I am going through cruise withdrawls right about now and can't wait for our cruise in October. Any suggestions out there as far as what to do, likes and dislikes about Acapulco, Zihuatanejo and Manzanillo???
Thanks!!!
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Did't we take this same cruise on the Spirit last Nov? I remember talking to you about it. Rosie is a great guide in Acapulco.. Zihu we went to the private beach for the day and in Manzanillo we took the tour to the ruins.
All were great.. We are sailing Oct 31st to Baja on the Elation. Have you done that cruise?
Legend 2006
Spirit 2006 & 2007 & 2009
Conquest 2007 & 2009
Pride 2008
Dream 2010
Norwegian Dawn 2011
Magic 2012
Princess Grand 2013
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Excursion ideas

BrwnEyedGirl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Wow! I am going through cruise withdrawls right about now and can't wait for our cruise in October. Any suggestions out there as far as what to do, likes and dislikes about Acapulco, Zihuatanejo and Manzanillo???
Thanks!!!
Okay, here goes.

>> In Acapulco, stick with the ship's excursions. The there are two complementary tours of the city highlights -- one that visits the Acapulco Fairmont Princess and sees the cliff divers and another that visits a hotel connected with John Wayne and the fort, and both are excellent.

>> In Zihuatenejo, you might want to book a short excursion just to get priority for the tender going ashore. Once ashore (or at the end of your excursion), go to the end of the tender pier, turn right, and go one block along the waterfront, and you'll be right in the heart of the downtown district where the locals do their shopping. Continuing along the waterfront to the beach, you'll see the fishermen stowing their gear and preparing to take their catch (or whatever of their catch they don't sell right at the beach) to the market if you get there around mid-morning. The town is a great place to hang out and perhaps to pick up a few souvenirs. All of the restaurants along the waterfront are safe, and several will prepare your catch if you go fishing.

>> Manzanillo is a commercial port where cruise ships call relatively infrequently, so it does not have many attractions. Your best option probably is a shore excursion that spends the day at an all-inclusive resort.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM
First Mate

Rev22:17 Thank you for the suggestions. I will look for the tours in Acapulco.

Grandy,
I do remember talking with you about the ports, seems like we are in the same areas for travel. Didn't you do Alaska this last year also?

We did spend the entire day with Rosie when we stopped in Acapulco a couple of years ago. Just looking for another options since it will just be the 2 of us and last time we had a group of 6. I'm sure in Zihu we will spend the day on a private beach. My other half did that last time with his daughter and they even found a great place with food, activites etc.. We didn't get to stop in Manzanillo because of a hurricane so I'm really curiuos as to what others have done in that port. I think a trip to the ruins would be right up his alley. Did you book it off the ship?

We have been on the Elation, twice. It was the 7 days Riviera before they got the Pride to do the itinery. Are you going to Ensenada and Catalina?? I have done that cruise 2 times before.
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess

Carnival Dream

Old April 28th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes we did Alaska in May of '08 and Sept we did Caribbean out of Galveston on the Conquest. That has been my favorite so far.
Manzanillo excursion was book thru Carnival. It was a great day, lots of country scenery and a tour of the ruins. From there they took us to a small villiage for lunch and shopping. Really is not much in Manzanillo as Rev 22:17 said, it is very industrial.. you have to get away from the city.
We have done Catalina, Ensenada on the Ecstasy. The Baja cruise is done only 2 times a year. Cabo, La Paz and Esenada on the Elation.
When in October are you sailing?
Legend 2006
Conquest 2007 & 2009
Pride 2008
Dream 2010
Norwegian Dawn 2011
Magic 2012
Princess Grand 2013
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:54 AM
First Mate

Grandy,
The ruin tour out of Manzanillo sounds like it might be worth a try. Taking a cruise out of Galveston would be great, half the travel time for us instead of leaving out of Florida. A few years back we thought about taking a crusie out of New Orleans but then the hurricane hit so we had put it off, maybe in the next year or so. I would really like to hear about what you think of La Paz since that has been on our list as well. I think my other half would really like to fish the Sea of Cortez. I have been to Ensenada 3 times and that was 2 times too many but we had loads of fun anyway. We are leaving out of San Diego on the the 18th of October. The only 9 day crusie the Spirit has going.
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess

Carnival Dream

Old April 30th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

So is this your Honeymoon cruise? How great..
We too like going out of ports closer to home (Phx). Traveling to Florida is so $$ however my daughter lives there so we spend a week with her and then cruise. We did the Spirit to Alaska and to Mexico. Great ship with lots of music venues.
I notice you have sailed Princess. How do you compare? We have only done Carnival. We are orginally from the bay area, I really miss
Caif.
Legend 2006
Conquest 2007 & 2009
Pride 2008
Dream 2010
Norwegian Dawn 2011
Magic 2012
Princess Grand 2013
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM
First Mate

Grandy,
Yes, we have finallly decided to get married after 14 yrs. We got engaged last year during our cruise to Alaska. We really liked the Spirit and it's sister ship the Pride. I wasn't too thrilled with the cruise director though. A little cheerleader type for us. We are near Walnut Creek. Where in the bay area did you move from?

We like the Princess line as well but with both ships I have found both pros and cons. When we are on Princess I really miss the ice cream and yougurt machines and the mid night buffets. You can get food around the clock on Princess but it's not the same as the big ole speads. You have more choices for room service on Princess and usually if you write something on the breakfast card, like bacon etc. they will bring it. Plus they have hamburgers and hot dogs on room service. But I don't care for their pizza on board and it's not available around the clock like Cranival. But I love the pools on Princess because they are fresh water and they don't drain the pools at night. But I miss the late night comedy shows that Carnival has. I would cruise Princess again. Any questions feel free to ask.
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess

Carnival Dream

Old May 1st, 2008, 11:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

BrownEyedgirl,
We agree, Shawn Bussy is not our favorite cruise director !! Sailing on the Spirit twice in 5 months we had enough of her.
We are from Morgan Hill, retired to AZ. I have a daughter in Berkeley so we travel to CA quite ofter to see grandchildren.
We like Carnival, having sail so many times, we know what to expect.
I really think we should try Princess just for something different. Not sure I can talk my husband into it though.
Legend 2006
Conquest 2007 & 2009
Pride 2008
Dream 2010
Norwegian Dawn 2011
Magic 2012
Princess Grand 2013