CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Mexico (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/)
-   -   ferry to Playa del Carmen from Cozumel (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/354704-ferry-playa-del-carmen-cozumel.html)

Joie August 11th, 2008 01:47 PM

ferry to Playa del Carmen from Cozumel

Has anyone taken the ferry over to Playa del carmen from Cozumel..... we will be there for 14 hours on the Liberty and would like to spend some time there........any info appreciated.
Cost is about $11 one way I understand and trip is about 45 min.

dina August 12th, 2008 10:44 AM

I've watched the ferry come over from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen. You need to keep an eye on the schedule so you don't miss your ship. I've seen people running to the dock trying to catch it. Its right next to Senor Frogs and all of the shopping so you don't have far to go. The beach is also right next to it.

Joie August 12th, 2008 01:42 PM

Well we are on the Liberty and will be there from 8-am to 10-pm (14 hours), so if we go and spend a few hours then come back we should be fine. I only worry about stuff like ferries breaking down or stopping and not running......then I would PANIC.

cozumelcruising August 14th, 2008 01:08 PM

Ferries are easy to catch, they run basically every hour, except some early in the morning and late at night. Cost is $12 one way...do not buy round trip tickets since there are 2 ferry companies and a round trip ticket only makes that you are forced to return with same company, which may does not have a departure and you must wait for another hour, since one company has the 1 o clock and the other the 2 o clock and so on....
Dont worry about ferry breaking down...this is very rare, there are many ferry boats available as both companies offer their services to cruise lines as well so all are also well maintained and there is always a spare ferry available...good luck

Renata October 16th, 2008 02:48 PM

I used the ferry to Cozumel last week and found out their prices increased. You know gas prices went up so they raised their prices. Now they charge $140 Pesos or $14 US one way.

TommyB October 19th, 2008 09:13 AM

joey we are going on the Liberty in January 17th 2009 when will you be there

BobFla November 6th, 2008 01:57 AM

Don 't buy round trip tickets as there are 2 ferry companies leaving every 2 hours and alternate..friends had to wait an hour in Playa to get back with their ferry tickets when they could have come back with the other company by buying the tickets right there...very annoying! Hope it helps

no January 5th, 2009 10:25 PM

It woul dbe worth going to Playa, only if you plan to spend the rest of your time there.. also, a lot of times, the next stop after Cozumel is Calica - you can make arrengements with your boat to get off in Cozumel and get back on in Calica. It's about 15 min cab ride from Playa del Carmen.