Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Default Sapphire Princess to Mexican Riviera, Part 3

Sapphire Princess, Part 3

Monday, October 13/08 Thanksgiving at Sea

Since we would be at sea on this date of our Canadian Thanksgiving, we decided to do something special.
James and I ordered a Champagne Breakfast feast from room service, and invited my sister and cousin to join us for a Thanksgiving Champagne Breakfast on our aft balcony.

Room service and our guests arrived promptly at 8:30 am.
Trays and trays of goodies were delivered to our balcony table; scrambled eggs, cheese omelettes, bacon, sausages, toast, cereal, croissants and danish, along with an ice bucket and champagne, orange juice, tea and coffee.
We proceeded to make "Buck's Fizz" as the British call it, or "Mimosas" as Americans call it, mixing champagne and orange juice and toasting each other a "Happy Thanksgiving". Then we tucked into the delicious food, and thoroughly enjoyed our holiday at sea, overlooking the wake somewhere near the coast of Mexico.

After breakfast, we were stuffed and decided a little shopping was in order. There was an advertised special sale in the Santa Fe dining room which we checked out, but I was disappointed to find that most of the cruise souvenirs on sale were from Alaska, not Mexico. Shoppers were in a frenzy however, picking up T-shirts, Paschminas, purses, jewellrey and knick knacks for 50% off or more.
We three girls also signed up at the purser's desk for the Walk for The Cure later in the week. For a $15 donation to the Susan G. Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer, you receive a logo hat and can participate in the walk, a 5K non-competitive stroll around the ship. We all decided to participate in Judy's honour.

We attempted Trivia again this morning, meeting James in the Wheelhouse Bar to play, but we failed miserably!
Finally headed out to the main pool area around noon, where I enjoyed a swim before the Pool Olympics started.

Since I was already in the pool, I stayed right at poolside to watch the games and cheer them on. It was hilarious, lots of fun, and really loud!
After a delicious lunch at the Trident Grill (Cheeseburger and Fries), we decided it was just too noisy at the main pool, so we retreated to the Terrace Pool, aft. where I stayed for the rest of the afternoon.
I did return to the main pool to sample some ice cream (extra charge) and for a dip in the hot tub, before it was time to clean up for dinner.

This evening, there was a 70's Disco Party in the Explorers Lounge at 9:30, which would have been right in the middle of our dinner. We all wanted to go, so we skipped the dining room dinner and ate in the Lido Buffet, which was excellent.
As it happened, James was not feeling well and skipped dinner, and Heather was also under the weather, but joined us for some soup. By 9:30 everyone was reasonably well enough to attend the Disco Party, but by the end of it, we were wishing we hadn't!

Despite the best efforts of the cruise staff, and very good attendance of passengers, the Disco Dance just didn’t “get down tonight”!
The band, D’Version, was not very good, and anyone who butchers Bee Gees songs is not loved by me! They had no energy, lacked harmony and tempo and didn’t know the words!
However, the staff appeared dressed as the Village People, and their sense of fun and enthusiasm encouraged everyone to participate in YMCA, despite the bad music!

We then headed for the late show in the Princess Theatre, called “I’ve Got the Music In Me”, and it was excellent. The dancers and singers were all very good, professional, and talented. For that matter, so was the orchestra who played along with them. Fine talent in the Princess Theatre, not so much in the lounges and bars.

To cap off the night, Penny and Heather wanted to check out Skywalkers Disco at the very top of the aft deck, so I accompanied them, hoping to get some dancing in with some decent music.
Unfortunately, I lasted about 10 minutes as I couldn’t stand the mostly 90’s music of rap and techno pop. Not a good night for music…..

It was time to go to bed, and rest up for our arrival in our first port, Puerta Vallarta, in the morning.
Good Night!

donna
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Passenger

I got a chance to show my husband some of your pictures and he's really jazzed. Then our brochure was in the mailbox and boy is he getting excited. Me too! We sail on Oct 31, Halloween should be wild!
Viking Serenade - Catalina & Ensenada, Star Trek Convention - June 1992
Royal Caribbean - Song of Norway - Panama Canal 1994
Fascination - Key West, Nassau - 2004
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - Nov 2009
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - Dec 2010