Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Admiral

Default beaches or beach resorts in Mazatlan and Puerta Vallerta

Does anyone know if good beaches in Mazatlan or Puerta Vallerta? Is there any day passes for beach resorts in these towns? I'm concerned about Mazatlan cause I have heard some bad reviews about stone island. I don't really want to travel around Mexico unattended; I'm concerned about crime. I know the boarder towns are more risky and we shouldn't have issues. But better safe than sorry.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

First of all in the places you mention you will hardly see any crime. It is safer there then in many places in the USA or Europe.
In P. Vallarta the Krystal Hotel - close to the cruise-terminal - is free for cruise-passengers. Show them your cruise-cards at the entrance.
Some other hotels - but farther away in Nuevo vallarta - like Westin and marriott allow passengers but you have to pay a fee.
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ine
First of all in the places you mention you will hardly see any crime. It is safer there then in many places in the USA or Europe.
In P. Vallarta the Krystal Hotel - close to the cruise-terminal - is free for cruise-passengers. Show them your cruise-cards at the entrance.
Some other hotels - but farther away in Nuevo vallarta - like Westin and marriott allow passengers but you have to pay a fee.
Thanks for the advice, I will check out the Krystal Hotel. I think the media is just making me paranoid for nothing. Do you know any good beaches for swimming in Mazatlan?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Admiral

We go to P.V. a lot. Los Muertos Beach is very close to the Zona Romantica. Take one of the yellow cabs to the Cuale. This will allow you to see much of the town, stroll through the Cuale in the Zona Romantica and have a great day of beach activities at Los Muertos Beach. (Only two blocks away toward the coast.) Have a margarita for me at Burro's Bar on the beach right there. River Cafe and Le Bistro are both great choices for a fabulous lunch and both restaurants have a great view of the river there.

My favorite beaches in P.V are Yelapa, Sayulita, and Piedra Blanca, but these are a bit of a jaunt by taxi or water taxi. The Krystal Hotel is a fine option but you will experience very little Mexican culture.

In Mazatlan, the best beach is Stone Island. As you leave the cruise ship terminal turn left and walk about 1/3 of a mile. Go down the dirt road and take a water taxi ($2.00 per person round trip) to stone island. The beach is quiet and a lovely place3 for a nice long walk. "Carmelita's" is a very good outdoor restaurant there on the beach. This beach is almost too quiet in the morning. You might want to hop a taxi to the golden Zone in the morning for shopping. Then go to Stone island for a nice lunch and an afternoon od beach fun.

Mazatlan and P.V. are far more safe than most U.S. cities in my opinion.