CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Mexico (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/)
-   -   Progreso, Yucatan Shore Excursions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/372446-progreso-yucatan-shore-excursions.html)

SWeir March 11th, 2010 10:53 AM

Progreso, Yucatan Shore Excursions

Has anyone been to Progreso, Yucatan recently? I've looked for shore excursions all over the place and can't find any other than ones offered through Carnival. Are there local vendors available? We're interested in Mayan ruins and snorkeling, and will be there the first week of June. Thanks!

Trip March 21st, 2010 08:41 PM

I just checked with portptomotions.com and they have nothing listed under Progresso, & that surprised me.. which leads me to believe, you should book through Carnival. You could take a chance as you walk off the ship,but....in this case, if you have hunted and found nothing as I just did..book Carnival's excursions.

Phil&Liz March 21st, 2010 08:59 PM

Particularly if you are visiting a port for the first time, we would suggest using the ships tours. It is the safest way to go. If for some reason they have to cancel the tour or skip the port entirely, you get a refund immediately.

That would not be the case when you book privately.

Having said that, if you wish to read more about whats out there, we have pics of the fliers they hand out in port for tours in the area.

Cruise Ship Pictures - CruiseMates Cruise Photos Gallery

Phil & Liz

SWeir March 22nd, 2010 05:57 PM

Progreso, Mexico

Thanks for the tips, especially the brochures! Sounds like we'll book with Carnival for the Progreso stop, and go independent in Cozumel. Only 70 days!

Trip March 22nd, 2010 06:35 PM

When we were there, a friend of mine took the bus to Merida, which is a beautiful colonial city..he fell in love, so much so, tht he has taken many land trips there. If you find nothong that interests you, a trip there could be memorable.

Nothin but blue skies March 26th, 2010 03:59 PM

We have been to Progreso several times. The most recent cruise to Progreso was in January 2009. Every time we have been there, we have found local excursions offered. Their is a shuttle that takes you from the ship into town. Before we left the shuttle bus, a representative for these excursions boarded the bus and explained their excursions to us. Then you could sign up for them once you left the bus. We took one on our first trip their and others who have used these private tours said they had no problems.

Be sure to do the little double decker bus around town to get a bird's eye view of the area. It costs about $2 or so and takes 20 - 30 minutes. We always do this and sit on the top deck for the best viewing (watch out for the low limbs though).LOL

We usually follow up the bus ride with a trip to the beach and shopping areas and have lunch in town. We like to shop in the little straw market area where the bus stops and also at the big port store near the shuttle. This is the first shop you will see after leaving the ship and it is very nice.

Snagger April 4th, 2010 04:52 PM

Does Progreso have a very long pier ?

Trip April 4th, 2010 05:14 PM

It sure does!!! When we ported there we were inundated with flies..it was unreal!

Phil&Liz April 4th, 2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snagger (Post 1284259)
Does Progreso have a very long pier ?

It is so long you are not permitted to walk into town. Miles long.

Phil & Liz

Snagger April 4th, 2010 05:45 PM

Oh thanks for clarification :D

In which case I remember it being very good value around 10 years ago.

Is that still the case ?

Trip April 4th, 2010 07:32 PM

Not much going on there...people either go see the ruins, or head to Merida, a beautiful colonial town, a bus ride away.

Queen of Diamonds July 2nd, 2010 03:16 PM

What about Akumal? Anyone been there from Progreso?

snorklr45 December 28th, 2012 07:02 PM

Hold a Rare Baby White Tiger Cub - Just off The Pier

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/a...05/gcompic.jpg

Just as you walk to the end of the pier at Progreso, Mx, look to your far left (just before you see the first retail store) and you will see two guys sitting there with a white tiger cub. If you are brave and willing, pay them $5 and they will let you hold him and use your camera to take a few photos. They also have a monkey. Here is a closeup of the little guy.

Tip: I know its hot in Progreso, but avoid the guy who says he has the only air conditioned restaurant in Progresso..You will have to pass him on your walk into town. He had HORRIBLE food and tried so very very hard to overcharge us. He will tell you how great his food is and try to get you in the door with offers of free rot gut tequila..etc. Just RUN.

We did not take any excursions so sorry I cannot offer any help there..These tigers are EXTREMELY rare in the world and no where else would you EVER get to hold one. That's why I did it. ;)

Phil&Liz December 28th, 2012 07:23 PM

Reminds me of the "striped" donkey in Tijuana!

As for eating etc in Progreso, St Bonette is a great place. It is on the road that runs along the beach.