Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Familiar Face

Default First time in Cozumel, only one day, what to do?

I need some guidance.

My wife and I are taking our first cruise, which is making a one day stop in Cozumel.

We get kind of bored sitting on the beach, so we kind of want to do something adventure-ish, but we aren't very active people, so we don't want to do anything too strenuous.

I've been researching excursion packages and have narrowed it down to a few things I think we'd like:
  • The Amazing Cozumel Race / Race Fantastique
  • Isla de Paison via Twister
  • Tulum Excursion

We're big amazing race fans, so the Cozumel version sounds like a lot of fun, but I'm wondering if we'll feel we missed out on seeing the big stuff if we do it? On the plus side, we'd get to do some snorkeling, which we've never done before.

Isla de Paison sounds relaxing and fun, but I wonder there is enough stuff to do to keep us entertained?

Tulum would pretty much be an all-day event, not really giving us a chance to do much else.

We also considered the adventure sub, but I've read some mixed reviews on that.

I'm probably missing some fun stuff, but it's hard to know which of the 69 excursions offered by Royal Carribean to sign up for.
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If they still have it (and I'm guessing it's likely they do) there's a Jeep Safari, where you drive your own open air Jeep in a led convoy. You get to see some sights, spend time on a beach, and do a bit of 4 wheeling. We had a great time!

A bit of adventure, without the exertion
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Familiar Face

Hmm, sounds dangerous

What sights did you see?
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The Amazing Cozumel Race / Race Fantastique

I have never heard of this. I went to the web site and I still dont get what it is - but apparently people like it.

Isla de Paison via Twister

Never heard of this either, but here is the web site for it.

Twister Jet Boat Excursion Passion Island Cozumel

I have never been to Tulum, but I have been the Chichen Itza - that is a good experience. Tulum I am guessing is less impressive.

Do NOT go horseback riding - the horses are one lope away from the glue bottle. I like Chakanaab park, but you said you get bored sitting on beaches, so probably not a good fit.

IF they have a way to get to Xcaret Ecp Park on the mainland I recommend that highly - it could be pricey, but I thnk it is worth it.

Old January 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thumbs up

Hi Cadred,
I did the Tulum excursion & it does indeed take the whole day. I think we had about an hour leftover after the tour bus brought us back to the dock area, so we got to browse a bit - but I really loved the excursion & would suggest it to anyone who has never seen these kinds of ruins, or have an interest in history. If I recollect (it was October of 2009), we took a speedboat to another town (playa del carmen?) & then we took a very nice coach bus to the ruins w/ 1 stop for shopping at an "approved" local marketplace, then on the trip back we had bottled water & snacks. The tour guide can make or break any expedition, and ours was fantastic - you could tell he had an absolute passion for his subject & made the whole trip just top notch. One of the neat things you can do at Tulum that you can't do at Chichen Itza is jump in the ocean after you have seen enough of the ruins - there is a walkway down to a small beach area that can get quite crowded w/ tourists, but was a real treat after the heat of the afternoon. If you have problems w/ stairs - you won't want to go down - otherwise - bring a towel w/ you & wear a suit under your cloths! There were also plenty of small shopfronts outside of the ruins itself for you to shop some more & even get a bite to eat (chips & salsa & a nice cervesa!).
For what it's worth - I really enjoyed it
Vicy
Old January 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Familiar Face

Cool, thanks for your review vicy. We can basically only do one excursion, would that be the one to do?
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tulum is beautiful. However it was June and the heat and humidity almost did me in. We live in north Florida but do NOT hang around at the beach in the summer.
When are you going?
Although Chichen Itza was miserable at the end of March. There is not much shade at either site. Chichen Itza is a more important site but is not near as well kept which surprised us.
We have also done the Sea Trek hemet dive. It was a short taxi ride to the place and we went down a ladder right at the edge of the water. We rinsed off well afterwards and changed clothes. Then we went to the outside cafe on site and had some lunch and a drink with another couple from the ship.
They put the helmet on as you go down the ladder. You can wear glasses and not get your hair wet. It was neat. We will do it again sometime.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Familiar Face

We are going in about a week and a half
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Familiar Face

We ended up booking the Amazing Cozumel Race. It seems like something unique we wouldn't have the chance to do otherwise and it will let of stretch our legs.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, it gives us a lot to look forward to on future trips!